On another day we’d have scored.....

Papasmurf

Official Ticketer
For as long as i remember I’ve been hearing this, been thinking this. It’s a constant recurring theme.

The weekend another example.

Just watched the highlights. Arfields could easily have went in. Alfie could/should have scored at least one of his chances.

Then we didn’t score. And the game gets tough.

Is it just me or is it just a constant theme?

I said the same in a thread the other day when someone mentioned, on another day it could have been 5 or 6.

It wasn't, we weren't ruthless enough in front of goal, failed to take our chances, the crowd became frustrated and we went behind.

Kilmarnock on the opening day we failed to capitalise and finish the game off. We missed opportunities at St. Mirren and Hibs at Ibrox should have been over before half time.

You aren't going to score 5 ever match but our lack of clinical finishing and ruthlessness really does hamper us. It lets the opposition off, gives them hope, puts strain on other areas of the park and allows the opposition a way into the game.

Some of our misses are head scratchers. Defoe, Arfield and Morelos have missed some sitters.

I know it’s a cliche but keepers always have the game of their lives against us!

Think it just seems this way because we are all on edge about scoring. Teams miss big chances every single game, it’s just more obvious when it’s your team.

Somebody posted a stats thread the other day which included shots on target and goals. Whilst we ranked highly (top on shots?) our conversation rate wasn't the best. The mentally challengeds unfortunately take their chances. Arguably upping our conversion rate is what will win us the league.

Yeah. True clearly. But....

Someone posted some stats about this season the other day. We had far more shots, far more shots on target but yet, miles off athe scum in terms of goals.

I agree, we have to be clinical on finishing, tbh mate I'm all for taking shots at distance. I would love nothing more than Stevie G training some of our lads on his technique. Some extra sessions on this would be great, no doubt It's happening and hopefully we get a few scoring this way, this season.

Yeah. True clearly. But....

Someone posted some stats about this season the other day. We had far more shots, far more shots on target but yet, miles off athe scum in terms of goals.

Their stats showed that they are unusually high above their expected goal count from their shot tally and we are a bit below and to expect that it will tend to the mean in the future.
So I am not worried at the moment.

I know it’s a cliche but keepers always have the game of their lives against us!

Think it just seems this way because we are all on edge about scoring. Teams miss big chances every single game, it’s just more obvious when it’s your team.

He only had two decent saves

Alfie could have had a hat trick inside 20 minutes. One he stuck over the bar and the 2 great crosses from Tav were on a plate. Got to stick at least 1 of those away.

The issue on Saturday in the first half wasn’t the failure to break them down as so many suggest, we failed to take any of the 3/4 excellent chances we created.

We need to get more ruthless to avoid difficult situations late in the game where we still have work to do.

At the moment it seems we need 5 or 6 chances before we convert one.

That is ok if we are home to a lower SPL team, as we will have maybe 20 or more attempts and more than likely score 2 or 3.

We have to be more clinical, especially against stronger opposition as the chances will be far fewer. A few games last season this cost us dearly, Hibs away being the most prominent.

Most attempts on goal in the league that's good , don't know but would imagine near the bottom for shots from 25 yards plus .Just wish we tried from distance more .

Their stats showed that they are unusually high above their expected goal count from their shot tally and we are a bit below and to expect that it will tend to the mean in the future.
So I am not worried at the moment.
I posted on the other thread about hot they're running in terms of goals scored v expected goals scored whereas ours were about where we should be. Things will even out as the season goes on but there seems to be a panic about almost everything at the moment. 55 fever is getting to some folks.

Alternatively, we have won eleven of fourteen (78.5%), only failed to score in three of those fourteen ( and you could argue two of those were strategic as we qualified on aggregate in both) and have a main striker who has scored eleven goals in thirteen games.

Last edited:
I know what you are saying in the OP but i cant help but think we can be or are hyper critical of our team at times.

Look at any match stats after any game and you will see teams with say 15 shots, 7 on target scoring 3. Perfectly normal return but at Rangers it is a disaster because we didn't score all 15 of them. Mental stuff.

Same with the defense. We are murder at the back because the opposition had 3 clear chances both halves and a ''better team would have punished us''. Same shit. Very few games are played where teams don't get a few chances per half. Doesn't mean the 'keeper saved us again', it just means he did his job.

All that being said aye, we are a bit wasteful in front of goal :D

Most attempts on goal in the league that's good , don't know but would imagine near the bottom for shots from 25 yards plus .Just wish we tried from distance more .
Totally agree with that point.

We need to start adding the odd long range shot to our attack. A spill from the keeper can easy land at the foot of one of our players. We also miss the classic Scottish 'pin ball machine' goal.

We need to add these to our game.

Is this not true of any game, for any big team near the top of their league? You're gonna get more chances than the opposition and you very rarely see a team convert 100% of chances (if ever), so it seems pretty obvious to me that this would be the case...

This baffles me. Considering the goal Gerrard has scored in his career from long distance I would of thought this would be getting drummed into them at training.

Totally agree with that point.

We need to start adding the odd long range shot to our attack. A spill from the keeper can easy land at the foot of one of our players. We also miss the classic Scottish 'pin ball machine' goal.

We need to add these to our game.
Two things here,
We don't have that "lucky" striker anymore.
The one that the ball always lands at in these situations.
I suppose I'd better say it's not just lucky but instinctive, inexplicably instinctive, natutal talent,
Haven't since McCoist,
Secondly, we never seem to win these bagatelle duels anywhere on the pitch.

Two things here,
We don't have that "lucky" striker anymore.
The one that the ball always lands at in these situations.
I suppose I'd better say it's not just lucky but instinctive, inexplicably instinctive, natutal talent,
Haven't since McCoist,
Secondly, we never seem to win these bagatelle duels anywhere on the pitch.
No you are correct, we don't have a McCoist and without getting all parra we don't seem to carry much luck.

Now i know McCoist had more to his game than just being a poacher but are there many poachers in today's game?

The game is played with such pace and movement nowadays you don't really get them anymore.

True in general but, not last game,

Game by game, you might be correct but that;d be the same for most stats.
However, it's a recurring theme in most games now.
To show how meaningless they are if we look at the goals scored per game were scoring more than we did last season when we ended up highest scorers in the league. Continue at this rate and we’ll have 9 more goals than we did last year. It’s pointless looking at them just now.

True in general but, not last game,

Yeah mate, I thought this thread was more about the amount of times we create so much and not score how many we should. I wasn't just meaning Saturdays match, where we never worked the keeper enough. When you see teams line up with so many behind the box, I don't know why we don't take more shots from distance.

Yeah mate, I thought this thread was more about the amount of times we create so much and not score how many we should. I wasn't just meaning Saturdays match, where we never worked the keeper enough. When you see teams line up with so many behind the box, I don't know why we don't take more shots from distance.
You’ve just answered your question right there!
I don’t get why people don’t understand the problem here.
All our player sees in front of him is opposition players.
Very often, if you freeze frame, they won’t even see the goal other than the crossbar.
99% of the time they’re just giving possession away and it’s another minute before the ball is back in play.

the main difference between us and them is how clinical we are , they seem to take more chances , we seem to need a good few chances before getting our goal

You’ve just answered your question right there!
I don’t get why people don’t understand the problem here.
All our player sees in front of him is opposition players.
Very often, if you freeze frame, they won’t even see the goal other than the crossbar.
99% of the time they’re just giving possession away and it’s another minute before the ball is back in play.

I don't think so, the Scum shoot from distance and get quite a bit of joy from it. The closest we came in the first half was a shot from outside the box.

it's part of the "Denial' on FF
we are 'unlucky' 'if this had gone in ' or ' if that had happened',
throw in referee conspiracies, plastic pitches and we are back to being
top of the "If's and's & buts" league.
We need to get ruthless win 55 and all this will stop.

Last edited:
We play some good football at times and win only 1.0.

Just luck.

The day we played ICT and were 5 up before half time I was expecting at least 8 or 9 that day. We barely got near the goal in the second half.

That's football I suppose.

I don't think so, the Scum shoot from distance and get quite a bit of joy from it. The closest we came in the first half was a shot from outside the box.
I don’t see to many septic games but, Id bet they’re not as successful at this as you may think.

it's part the "Denial' on FF
we are 'unlucky' 'if this had gone in ' or 'that had happened',
throw in referee conspiracies, plastic pitches and we are back to being
top of the "If's and's & buts" league.
We need to get ruthless win 55 and all this will stop.
Exactly it is small time diddy side rubbish.

Over the past few years we've practically had people make up their own league table on what should have been the results if it wasn't for referees, teams defending and chances being missed.

We've got the best goalie in the league and he regularly pulls off great saves. That's his job. We don't then say "aye but if they had all went in".

You're last line is spot on. We need to get a trophy man and drag some of the support into Rangers mentality again. The last few years have done a number on people and they need to man up a bit and stop feeling sorry for themselves about "what ifs".

I don’t see to many septic games but, Id bet they’re not as successful at this as you may think.

They've certainly done a lot better against packed defenced than we have, three trebles in a row shows that.

There is often an opening to shoot that we don't take. When shooting in to packed defences you also have the chance of a deflection taking it away from the keeper. These packed defences are to force us out wide and put the ball in the box. We can and should mix it up a bit by shooting from distance.

Back