On another day we’d have scored.....

They've certainly done a lot better against packed defenced than we have, three trebles in a row shows that.

There is often an opening to shoot that we don't take. When shooting in to packed defences you also have the chance of a deflection taking it away from the keeper. These packed defences are to force us out wide and put the ball in the box. We can and should mix it up a bit by shooting from distance.
Their success isn’t solely, and nowhere near, down to their shooting from distance.
The second point you make I’m not totally buying.
Yes there can be an opportunity we don’t take, but I’m not into trusting to luck and the hope of a deflection.
I’d rather trust to the undoubted superior skills we have.

Their success isn’t solely, and nowhere near, down to their shooting from distance.
The second point you make I’m not totally buying.
Yes there can be an opportunity we don’t take, but I’m not into trusting to luck and the hope of a deflection.
I’d rather trust to the undoubted superior skills we have.

Even if it's not clicking?

How many times do we get wide, clip a ball in to the box and not score? Many, many times in a match. I know that's our main tactic and more often than not we eventually get a goal, but taking a few shots to change it up would help.

For as long as i remember I’ve been hearing this, been thinking this. It’s a constant recurring theme.

The weekend another example.

Just watched the highlights. Arfields could easily have went in. Alfie could/should have scored at least one of his chances.

Then we didn’t score. And the game gets tough.

Is it just me or is it just a constant theme?

It's a constant theme in football

Chances are missed on a regular basis, you can't take them all

Watch back McCoist and he missed loads

The key is in how they come back from the misses and Alfie certainly doesn't dwell on them

The fact that we went on to win the game after a number of difficulties shows the new character in the team. There is definitely a new spirit about the side.

Arfield's shot was wasteful? Morelos' missed header?

No, only a madman would say a strike off the crossbar was wasteful - it was just unlucky!

There are generally chances each and every game that you look back on and say, "Christ, he should've scored that" and eventally "we could've had 3 or 4 more"... I seem to be saying it to my old man after every game.

Like a poster says above, missed chances are part and parcel of the game. I'd be concerned if we weren't making chances...

However, there was a thread recently that highlighted the Scum's shots/goal ration versus ours and theirs was better. That's a concern, even though we're making a lot of chances.

If we sharpen up in front of goal, and show the Filth as little respect as possible when we play them, we could be a tremendous domestic force.

This baffles me. Considering the goal Gerrard has scored in his career from long distance I would of thought this would be getting drummed into them at training.
Totally Chris baffles me as well a packed box hit the target Alfie hovering about waiting on a fortunate break of the woodwork ,goalkeeper or defender ,not saying do it all the time but vary it up a bit ,nice inter passing through the defence looks good but so does a ball bursting the back of the net just like SG used to do

Totally Chris baffles me as well a packed box hit the target Alfie hovering about waiting on a fortunate break of the woodwork ,goalkeeper or defender ,not saying do it all the time but vary it up a bit ,nice inter passing through the defence looks good but so does a ball bursting the back of the net just like SG used to do
Exactly mate! God knows why we dont see it more often.

Totally agree with that point.

We need to start adding the odd long range shot to our attack. A spill from the keeper can easy land at the foot of one of our players. We also miss the classic Scottish 'pin ball machine' goal.

We need to add these to our game.
Totally agree McCoist must have had a high percentage of ricochets . Just another wee point when we do shoot from outside the box we usually go low to bottom corners which is easier to block by the 11 man defences would just like to to see them try for the top corners much harder for the packed defence to block just as SG used to aim for

Even if it's not clicking?

How many times do we get wide, clip a ball in to the box and not score? Many, many times in a match. I know that's our main tactic and more often than not we eventually get a goal, but taking a few shots to change it up would help.
Its a good debate points all valid , I just think we can be to predictable at times if we can't get through the middle look out to tav he will swing it over and sometimes it works or give it to Ojo he will cut inside and try to curl it into the back post sure particularly Tav has had a lot of success with this but just wish now and again the midfielder instead of pushing it to Tav take the ball early and go for a top corner just like SG used to do for Liverpool and England

For as long as i remember I’ve been hearing this, been thinking this. It’s a constant recurring theme.

Just watched the highlights. Arfields could easily have went in. Alfie could/should have scored at least one of his chances.

The game is called football: i assume from this post you are unfamiliar with it.

Every time in the sports history a game has been played since its creation, people who attended have speculated"what if that had gone in?"

This is not new or rangers specific.

Weirdly though, no-one debates "awww, but what woulda happened if none of those 7 goals had gone in!?!? It would have been 0-0. We're pure sh##e!" Oh wait: thats EVERY weekend that we win!

It is a constant theme, imo we are not behind the bheasts at all.. can match them in every department on our day.
However, they dont seem to need half the chances we do to bag a goal in most games. They have players capable of burying a chance or even a half chance all over the park, we dont seem to have that. Whether its confidence or what who knows

Our strikers score a lot but are still not clinical enough in games for the number of chances created that would not be noticed as much if the midfield were chipping in with a few goals as well.
we just seem to need more chances to score than other teams we do create a hell of a lot.
Our shooting from the edge of the box is poor as well.

As I've said previously the sample size is far too small for folk to be getting worked up about our shots/ goals ratio. Anyway, here's another way of looking at it:

The games people seem to be losing it over in particular are the Killie, Livingstone and St Mirren. They are 3 of the most defensive minded teams we'll play and against packed defences we may get quite a few shots away but many of those will be blocked or from poor positions. So how do we compare to last season against them in corresponding fixtures?

St Mirren away from home
Last season we had 20 shots on goal (4 on target) and won 2 nil
This season we had 15 shots on goal (7 on target) and won 1 nil

Livingston at home
Last season we had 18 shots on goal (6 on target) and won 3 nil
This season we had 23 shots on goal (10 on target) and won 3 - 1

Kilmarnock away
Last season game one we had 15 shots on goal (7 on target) and lost 2 - 1
Last season game two we had 7 shots on goal (3 on target) and lost 2 - 1
This season we had 14 shots on goal (10 on target) and won 2-1

So over the corresponding fixtures last season we averaged 15 shots on goal per game and scored 1.75 per game.
This season we've averaged 17 shots on goal per game and scored 2 goals per game.

Conclusion
We've had slightly more shots and goals per game in the corresponding fixtures. Also note that in the 4 fixtures last season we took 6 points and in 3 fixtures this season we've already taken 9. Points make prizes. Finally, before the claims of 'but we should still be scoring more' remember that were highest scorers in the league last season and we've already banged in a few goals this season against teams who play a more open game against us.

Back