On the very day Rangers competed in a European final in Seville - what article did the Daily Record print?

This was the Record getting their mantra in early for the Piggery mutants to parrot if we had beaten Frankfurt. That Celtc's 1967 " legends " went out only months later in the first round of the EC when defending the trophy says it all, tbh.
Didn’t make the first round Put out in the preliminary round by Dynamo Kiev(Kyiv)
No UEFA “seedlings back then

The timing says it all.It boils down to spite and envy.Primitive emotions in a rag of a newspaper.
Should be boycotted.
Sectarian emotions.

Yet still we have mugs of ours buy it.

You can say it should be bincotted (my new word)
I can say it should be bincotted
The rest of the support can say it should be bincotted.

If Rangers came out publicly and told the support not to buy this toilet paper or give it clicks online, we would sign its deathknell.

Why won't they?

They teams wouldn't even make a decent conference league group now.
They did back then though, so the filth keep on guffawing.

Has no one grasped that by belittling them actually winning the 'big one' with nonsense it pisses on our achievement of getting to a final against the odds just last month?

Their petty, desperate pish only demonstrates that we're back. They don't know how to handle the fact we recovered from being kicked to the bottom of the league, and full well know we can only get better.

Focus on ourselves and let them boil in their own sectarian hatred.

Their demographic is Celtic supporters so they pander to the people who buy their paper - I don't know why folk still get annoyed as if it's supposed to be some impartial organisation.

They had a good team at the the right time in 1967. They also had the luck of the draw all the way through to the final. Nevertheless, it was a great achievement for them. If they would only acknowledge the hand fate played in their triumph I would be a little more magnanimous about it. I think we faced tougher opponents in our march to the CWC Final that season, beating German and Spanish opposition on the way to the final.

However, to compare 1967 with today is nonsensical. European competition is deliberately more difficult for Scottish teams nowadays. Any triumph in Europe now would far outshine what they achieved back in the day, even if they did get their hands on the premier trophy for a brief period of time.

One of the reason Seville still hurts. We could have put this 67 nonsense to bed once and for all had we been able to hold that lead. :(

Wouldn't expect anything else in this hate filled back drop of a country. I just wonder how many on here are chomping at the bit for another vote in favour of independence.......

Therein lies the problem, it's not all one sided, far from it..........

They had a good team at the the right time in 1967. They also had the luck of the draw all the way through to the final. Nevertheless, it was a great achievement for them. If they would only acknowledge the hand fate played in their triumph I would be a little more magnanimous about it. I think we faced tougher opponents in our march to the CWC Final that season, beating German and Spanish opposition on the way to the final.

However, to compare 1967 with today is nonsensical. European competition is deliberately more difficult for Scottish teams nowadays. Any triumph in Europe now would far outshine what they achieved back in the day, even if they did get their hands on the premier trophy for a brief period of time.

One of the reason Seville still hurts. We could have put this 67 nonsense to bed once and for all had we been able to hold that lead. :(
We didn't.

So this needs to stop.

So losing now supecedes winning?

I see someone pressed the like button for your 'opinion'.

Are you a tag team.
We won plenty on the way to that final. We overcame more 'challenges' than it took to win a trophy in 1967.

Just 'winning' a trophy is not always everything, for all-time. It's relative.

Dumbarton are sharing a 150 anniversary with Rangers and Dumbarton won the first two League titles, the first shared with us.

Their title wins are a matter of historical record but are relative to the time (an eighteen game league) just as our efforts in Europe are relative to the time, not ancient history like 1967.

And no, I'm not part of a 'tag team' any more than you're just a lone troll.

We won plenty on the way to that final. We overcame more 'challenges' than it took to win a trophy in 1967.

Just 'winning' a trophy is not always everything, for all-time. It's relative.

Dumbarton are sharing a 150 anniversary with Rangers and Dumbarton won the first two League titles, the first shared with us.

Their title wins are a matter of historical record but are relative to the time (an eighteen game league) just as our efforts in Europe are relative to the time, not ancient history like 1967.

And no, I'm not part of a 'tag team' any more than you're just a lone troll.
If I was you I'd be looking up the guy in charge of the braincells.

He's fc_uked you over.

Let's leave it as pals.

Paul Lambert has to use his fingers to count to 5. Anything any ex Rheptile player says is tainted. Only worth putting that rhag paper in the budgie cage.

We can take it as read that the very fact that was written proves what we all know. Our achievements last season easily surpass anything from 1967.

Unfortunately their prayers were answered that night in Seville

On the very day Rangers competed in a European final in Seville - what article did the Daily Record print?

I had gotten papers put aside by my local newsagent when I was in Seville - had a look through them yesterday - the Record didn’t disappoint - one issue had two pages in why Celtic in 1967 would still be more important than Rangers winning in Seville :)

Note that it's source is Paul Lambert, a former Celtic player. Born in 1969 . . .

Also, note that before he signed for Celtic that Paul was a Rangers fan so he's hardly qualified to compare our achievement in getting to this year's final and 1967 when playing a mere 9 games (as opposed to our 19) Celtic came up against a severely weakened Inter, missing their captain Suarez and several others from their staring 11 and squeaked a result courtesy of a deflection and an offside chance.

Scumbag.

Typical daily rebel just wondering if they've already got their positive spin stories already written for the ass pumping they'll get in the CL from their usual array of proven bigoted racist's that infest their rancid rag, fail fail.

Only in Scotland.

See out in the real world it was a completely different story.

Was talking to the West Ham coaching staff (Warburton, Moyes and Billy McKinlay) last night. An achievement that made Europe stand up and take note were the words.

Would have been the greatest achievement in the history of Scottish football. Even more so given the financial clout in football these days and where we came from.

Sectarian emotions.

If Rangers came out publicly and told the support not to buy this toilet paper or give it clicks online, we would sign its deathknell.

Why won't they?
I'm not sure as to why.
There's no question that it is biased to the point of corruption.
After an article was posted on FF recently I clicked on the name of the DR journalist who had written a a poor quality and infantile post about the current range of Septic signings.
His article history confirmed a strong bias towards Septic. To such a degree that it was probably 98% Septic or ex Septic players.
It confirms that there is little journalistic impartiality or integrity in the DR.The opposite appears to be the case. Some of their journalists have free range to produce the Septic News hidden in the guise of a national news paper. So it must come from the top down.
This recent post by the OP only goes to reaffirm the bias, envy and obsession of some of their journalists.This spread wasnt knocked up in 5 minutes.It was planned and written by those who are obsessed with our club because they hate, fear and envy us.
Imho there is no point in comparing or debating events or achievements in relation to the article.
It should never have been written in that form nor been allowed to go to print on that day.
At its core it is crafty and spiteful. On the day of the final, it was a dummy tit to self soothe Septic fans.
That's how sad they are.
Why anyone buys it is beyond me.
Boycotting it is a no brainer.Its a rag.

Last edited:
It seems to have been designed as a counter to the articles with Kenny Miller and Kevin Thomson in the run up claiming that us winning the EL would beat them winning the EC. To appease the hoardes as some would say. It's designed to sell papers. The fact that people still willingly buy papers and then get all offended by their content makes me fear for the human race's future. I don't buy them myself but then I can generally read them on here, thanks to the admin. That last sentence is a puzzler for sure though.

Sectarian emotions.

Why won't they?
I knew I was bitter for always checking a link to ensure it wasnt RD... ignore the noise and the rhags

I had gotten papers put aside by my local newsagent when I was in Seville - had a look through them yesterday - the Record didn’t disappoint - one issue had two pages in why Celtic in 1967 would still be more important than Rangers winning in Seville :)

Note that it's source is Paul Lambert, a former Celtic player. Born in 1969 . . .

Also, note that before he signed for Celtic that Paul was a Rangers fan so he's hardly qualified to compare our achievement in getting to this year's final and 1967 when playing a mere 9 games (as opposed to our 19) Celtic came up against a severely weakened Inter, missing their captain Suarez and several others from their staring 11 and squeaked a result courtesy of a deflection and an offside chance.

You’re not buying that garbage are you, Mark?

It can be argued that our 1967 European Cup Winners Cup run to the final was at least the equal or tougher than most of the teams the Tim's played in the same year of their Euro Cup win. Again we kocked out German and Spanish teams as we did in 1972.

With the exception of part timers Glentoran of Belfast we also played and knocked out Real Zaragoza. They were a top Spanish team with great players and were described as Los Magnificos from 1961 until 1968. They had won the Fairs Cup, 2 Copa Del Reys. They finished between 3rd and no lower than 5th in the Spanish League in that period. Some achievement with the bigger Spanish teams.

We also Ko'd Borussia Dortmund who were the ECWC holders as they had beaten Liverpool in the final at Hampden in 1966. Enough said about their standard and reputation in German and European football.

Also we beat Slavia Sofia of Bulgaria who were runners up in The Bulgarian League that same year. They were no push overs.

As has been discussed Bayern Munich in the final were becoming a super power with West German Internationals, Maier, Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller and Roth in their team. It was practically a home final for them in Nuremberg too.

I have watched that game a few times and we played so well we deserved to win it. Again no recognised striker for us. The Defender, Roger Hynd makeshift striker instead of Alex Willoughby was a travesty. The rest is history.

Last edited:
It seems to have been designed as a counter to the articles with Kenny Miller and Kevin Thomson in the run up claiming that us winning the EL would beat them winning the EC. To appease the hoardes as some would say. It's designed to sell papers. The fact that people still willingly buy papers and then get all offended by their content makes me fear for the human race's future. I don't buy them myself but then I can generally read them on here, thanks to the admin. That last sentence is a puzzler for sure though.
That's my main concern about the DR and why they felt the need to provide a counter story to appease a section of their readers and Im becoming increasingly convinced some of their own journalists.
This article should never have been published on that day.When it comes to European content it should have been 95% Rangers and 5% Frankfurt. Not Celtic in any way shape or form.
There was no need for balance.Rangers where there in a European final.Thats the story.Nothing else.

As for the content there is no debate its a false equivalency anyway.To enter into it, in my opinion, only gives credence to the original premise of the article.Look at Celtic.The photographic content says it all.

A descent, impartial and upstanding Sports editor would have trashed that story and would not have allowed it to be published on a day where a Scottish team were competing in a major European final.

That doesn't exist at the DR and that's why I don't buy it.

The fact is, no team has ever had an easier run than them in 67. Our win in Barca in 72 was miles more impressive as was the sheep in the early 80's.
Our run to even reach the Europa final this year is without a doubt the greatest achievement by any Scottish team in history given what it takes nowadays.
Celtc however do have the distinction of being the first holders of the EC to be papped out in the next season trying to defend their title... haahhaahaaaahaaa.
And you see that as some sort of consilation?

Back