On this Day 1949 - The Superga Disaster

E0iGvu5XIAAQ0Nb

E0ho4IiXMAAOmBi

Thank you posting this @drgriffen. Torino would appear to have had a marvellous side at the time and it is such a sad story. Although Torino have had one or two successes since the tragedy in 1949, they are a club that seemed to have never really recovered.

I have read a lot over the years regards this. Devastated Torino on a bigger scale than Munich for Man Utd.
Always wondered how those who, for whatever reason, never made the trip felt in the years after.

I have read a lot over the years regards this. Devastated Torino on a bigger scale than Munich for Man Utd.
Always wondered how those who, for whatever reason, never made the trip felt in the years after.

Doing this from memory so could be wrong, but I think 10 members of the Italian team died in the Superga plane crash. Devastating for Torino and the national team.

Not directly about Superga but Dominic Bliss's book on Erbstein is a really good read and goes into detail about the tragedy and the aftermath.

Saw a documentary on this a while back and it is genuinely one of football’s biggest travesties. Reports from the time had this Torino side as the finest seen. Also think James Richardson and James Horncastle did a fine episode of their Goalazzo podcast on this sad episode. Lovers of Italian football, I recommend the podcast for a listen.

I visited Turin and Superga years ago.

Quite an amazing place, overlooking the city with a church on top and cog railway. I hadn’t heard of the story before I visited but it’s definitely one that stays with you. Terrible

Saw a documentary on this a while back and it is genuinely one of football’s biggest travesties. Reports from the time had this Torino side as the finest seen. Also think James Richardson and James Horncastle did a fine episode of their Goalazzo podcast on this sad episode. Lovers of Italian football, I recommend the podcast for a listen.
Second that Goalazzo podcast, it was excellent and put the tragedy in its full context, which only made it sadder.

Back