On this day 1992, 10 man Rangers beat Celtic 1-0 in Scottish Cup semi final

Was there with my old man, we were in the South Stand, our seats were beyond the covering. Absolutely soaked, and Davie Roberstson got sent off..Thought ahhh f**k here we go. Went Ally scored just before half time, the celebrations were brilliant. My Dad was always calm and reserved, that night he was punching the air.

At half-time, thinking we have got 45 minutes to get through with 10 men. If there was one man who could organise us to do that, it was Walter. What a performance from every player that night, one of my fondest victories over them.

One of my favourite matches, I was in the newly seated Rangers end and so right behind the goal that McCoist knocked the winner into.

Real backs to the wall stuff, especially after a ridiculous sending off early on. The match itself was pretty poor looking back but with a number of memorable incidents in atrocious conditions.

The big thing for me that night was the way that the side that night really became a tight team, it was the core of the side that took Rangers through to NIAR. They way they celebrated with each other and their manager at the end said it all - they were aware them at they had the ability and attitude to overcome just about anything that would come at them on a football pitch after that night.

What a night
Soaked to the skin
Feared the worst after Robertson got sent off but what a first half bossed it completely with 10 men and to go in 1 up was incredible. Second half lasted an eternity.
Was still blazing turning up for work the next day
Good times

How good was Nigel Spackman?

Dropped back into central defence and played like a centre half all his days.

He did the same the day we beat Aberdeen in the last day title decider. Really underrated player who was terrific for us.
Where shall I begin? :cool:

Nigel Spackman was a cracking player, provided a lot of flexibility to the team. He was a midfielder who would go and intercept the ball all day for you, but he could play a bit as well and could spot a pass.
He was a regular for an excellent Liverpool side that you didn’t get near if you couldn’t play football.

Crucially, he was positionally flexible and could play at the back as well and while he famously filled in in this Celtic match and in the league decider in 1991, he did it every week when Robertson or Stevens bombed forward and Spackman would tuck in to ensure that Rangers maintained a backline.

The reasons for him leaving were never really common knowledge - potentially 3 foreigners rule but my opinion was that Spackman gave better options for the team than playing Ferguson and McCall together in midfield.

You had Huistra, Miko, Gordon, Hateley & Steven also competing for those Foreigner places in Europe though.

Remains to this day one of my favourite games. Never mind Craig Thomson or Kevin Clancy, the referee Andrew Waddell was the most disgraceful anti-Rangers referee I have ever seen. In this one, he sent off Davie Robertson after only 5 minutes for something that maybe merited yellow but nobody else on Planet Earth thought red.

We had Hateley out injured. We had recently lost to them at Ibrox, Tony Mowbray claiming it had been their easiest game of the season. We had been knocked out the Cup by them the previous 3 seasons, and hadn't won it for 11 years. And it was pissing down!

We rode our luck. We had players out of position. But we fought and chased and refused to lose.
Then up stepped Super Ally to score his 30th goal of the season, and you could see it meant as much to him as it did to us.

What a team. What a night.

This is the BBC highlights, not the SKY coverage which was live.

Enjoy!

Great game to pick out.....can remember it like yesterday

One of my favourite matches, I was in the newly seated Rangers end and so right behind the goal that McCoist knocked the winner into.

Real backs to the wall stuff, especially after a ridiculous sending off early on. The match itself was pretty poor looking back but with a number of memorable incidents in atrocious conditions.

The big thing for me that night was the way that the side that night really became a tight team, it was the core of the side that took Rangers through to NIAR. They way they celebrated with each other and their manager at the end said it all - they were aware them at they had the ability and attitude to overcome just about anything that would come at them on a football pitch after that night.

Don’t forget us fans Rab. We were a true 12th man that night mate. Rangers was as one.

Watched this in Airdrie Orange hall with my old muckers.

Can still remember thinking we wouldn't lose the game even with 10 men. Never a red right enough.

Watched it on Sky as I was working down south. Managed to get 2 tickets which made my brother and mate v happy. Was almost thrown out the hotel due to use of industrial language. Backs to the wall performance at its best.

Was at this game standing on the North terracing getting soaked.
After the match I remember Bomber standing in front of us celebrating and joining in singing the Billy Boy's.. great night..

If anyone wants the whole game and the end to end Sky production, it's on my YouTube channel.

Was in the north stand that night and got soaked to the skin, also went for a pish and missed the goal.

Body check by Davie Robertson......it would have football fans crying these days. Set up the never say die attitude for that match!

I believe at that time we hadn’t beaten them in the SC (or even scored a goal) since Forsyth’s winner in the final in 73 - 18 years earlier! I had to listen to it in the radio and it was the longest match I ever remember. I paced around my bedroom for the full 783 minutes, convinced those jammy, cheating scum bastards would eventually break through but I hadn’t banked on the superhuman performance from the remaining 10 players who were utterly determined to win.

Little did I know at the time that Waddell’s appalling performance would be the first of many from various mentally challenged refs for the next 30 years.

And 100% agree about Spackman, I thought he did a fantastic job for us and was very disappointed when he left.

Back