On This Day (August 8th)

Sam English

1891 - Caledonian 0 Rangers 9 (Untraced) - Friendly
- Jack Lindsay born in Auchinleck. After a handful of appearances in the war regional leagues he made his full debut for the club in November 1946 but struggled to hold down a regular place in the side, subsequently being sold to Everton for £7000 in 1951. At Goodison Park he was an automatic first choice at full-back until he broke his leg in 1954 and when he recovered he asked for a transfer and was sold to Bury, but after only one season at Gigg Lane drifted into non-League football
1931 - Rangers 4 (English 2,Marshall,Nicholson) Dundee 1 - Scottish League Division One (30,000)
1936 - Dundee 0 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (22,000)
1942 - St.Mirren 0 Rangers 1 ( Johnston) - Southern League (10,000)
1953 - Raith Rovers 0 Rangers 4 (Young,Prentice,Simpson,Grierson) - League Cup Section C (24,807)
1959 - Hibernian 1 Rangers 6 (Brand 3,Matthew,Millar 2) - League Cup Section Four (44,700)
1964 - Rangers 4 (McLean 2,Forrest,Wilson) Aberdeen 0 - League Cup Section One (45,000)
1970 - Rangers 4 (Stein 2,Jardine,Johnston Pen) Dunfermline Athletic 1 - League Cup Section Two (45,056)
1981 - Morton 1 Rangers 1 (McAdam) - League Cup Section Two (11,500)
1982 - Rangers 0 Tottenham Hotspur 1 - Friendly (24,800)
1984 - Rangers 2 (Iain Ferguson Pen,McCoist) Leicester City 2 - Friendly (17,250)
1987 - Rangers 1 (McCoist Pen) Dundee United 1 - Scottish Premier Division (39,120)
1992 - Hibernian 0 Rangers 0 - Scottish Premier Division (17,044)
2001 - Rangers 0 Fenerbahce 0 - European Champions' League 3rd Qalifying Round 1st Leg (49,472)
2009 - Portsmouth 2 Rangers 0 - Friendly (9,018)
2019 - FC Midtjylland 2 Rangers 4 (Morelos, Aribo, Katic, Arfield) - Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round 1st Leg (9,322)

2019-Good away trip,game turned into a bit of a goal fest,great away performance and result.
Welcome to the party ;) :)

1987 I was so confident going into that season after us finally winning the league, but the second year under Souness just never got going in the league. Started badly and ended worse.

1984 vs Leicester cannot remember it.Any information to help me.Was McAllister and Mauchlan playing.

I think there was 47,000 at Fester Rd a month later when the filth clinched 8. We were at home to East Fife, I think. I'm sure their game was done and dusted at h/t.

We beat East Fife 2-0 (Conn and Young the scorers?) and they were 3-0 up early doors.

Capitulation from Hivs and we lost league by 1 point. (I believe a 2-2 draw at Pittodrie derailed us).

1931 - Rangers 4 (English 2,Marshall,Nicholson) Dundee 1 - Scottish League Division One (30,000)

The great Sam English scores a brace on his Rangers debut.
He would score 12 Goals in his first 6 appearances.
He scored 3 consecutive Hat Tricks in 3 games in January.
Scored a record 44 League Goals in a single season (35 Games)
Scored 9 Goals in 7 Scottish Cup games taking his season's tally to
53 Goals in 42 Games.

We beat East Fife 2-0 (Conn and Young the scorers?) and they were 3-0 up early doors.

Capitulation from Hivs and we lost league by 1 point. (I believe a 2-2 draw at Pittodrie derailed us).

Back then, the filth could have played Hibs with just a goalie, wee stinky and Dixie Deans and still have won.

Yet they were a major problem for us.

Not quite true.
Their final game against Hibs was very much in the balance and could have went either way,
until Dalglish scored a lucky second with less than 20 mins to play, after a horrendous mix up between the keeper and defender running into each other.

That 2-2 draw with Aberdeen was the only point we dropped in our last 18 League Games since before Christmas, taking 35 out of a possible 36 points.
Even if we had won all 18 games, we would still have lost the League on Goal Average/Difference.

Back then, the filth could have played Hibs with just a goalie, wee stinky and Dixie Deans and still have won.

Yet they were a major problem for us.

Not sure about that.
Hibs beat the filth 2-1 in the League Cup Final that season,
and they beat them 5-3 in the Dryborough Cup Final.
They also held them to a 1-1 draw at the piggery in the League match.
By all accounts that final League game could have went either way until Dalglish scored a lucky 2nd goal with less than 20 mins to go.
That was the only win Celtic registered agains Hibs in 4 meetings that season.

We beat Hibs home and away in the League that season, and also knocked them out the Scottish Cup at Easter Road after a 1-1 draw at Ibrox.
They did beat us 1-0 in the League Cup Semi Final, just 4 days after we had beaten them 2-1 at Easter Road in the League.
Hibs were a really good side that season, winning two Cups, and going all the way to the QF of the ECWC, beating Sporting Lisbon 6-1. They also beat Hearts 7-0 at Tynecastle on New Years day.
Their season collapsed after they went out of the ECWC to Hadjuk Split (5-4 on Agg) where the failed to win any of their last 8 games of the season.

Not quite true.
Their final game against Hibs was very much in the balance and could have went either way,
until Dalglish scored a lucky second with less than 20 mins to play, after a horrendous mix up between the keeper and defender running into each other.

That 2-2 draw with Aberdeen was the only point we dropped in our last 18 League Games since before Christmas, taking 35 out of a possible 36 points.
Even if we had won all 18 games, we would still have lost the League on Goal Average/Difference.

A horrendous start to the Jock Wallace era, in all truth, had us facing a mountain to climb.

The loss to Hearts, at the start of December, when we had run all over the top of them, was the final straw, in hindsight.

Not sure about that.
Hibs beat the filth 2-1 in the League Cup Final that season,
and they beat them 5-3 in the Dryborough Cup Final.
They also held them to a 1-1 draw at the piggery in the League match.
By all accounts that final League game could have went either way until Dalglish scored a lucky 2nd goal with less than 20 mins to go.
That was the only win Celtic registered agains Hibs in 4 meetings that season.

We beat Hibs home and away in the League that season, and also knocked them out the Scottish Cup at Easter Road after a 1-1 draw at Ibrox.
They did beat us 1-0 in the League Cup Semi Final, just 4 days after we had beaten them 2-1 at Easter Road in the League.
Hibs were a really good side that season, winning two Cups, and going all the way to the QF of the ECWC, beating Sporting Lisbon 6-1. They also beat Hearts 7-0 at Tynecastle on New Years day.
Their season collapsed after they went out of the ECWC to Hadjuk Split (5-4 on Agg) where the failed to win any of their last 8 games of the season.

6-1 in a Scottish Cup final (72)
6-3 in a League Cup final (74)

are tankings that instantly spring to mind. For me, when it came to the crunch, the filth toyed with their Edinburgh counterparts. Or seemed like it at the time.

Mind you, the 74 LC final is epitomised by wee stinky hitting a shot towards the far side touchline, and Deans steering it into the net via a richochet.

As for the Dryborurgh? I think Hibs might have been 3-0 up at one point. But did it really matter?

They were a thorn in our side back then, less so, the filth.

A horrendous start to the Jock Wallace era, in all truth, had us facing a mountain to climb.

The loss to Hearts, at the start of December, when we had run all over the top of them, was the final straw, in hindsight.

Yes it was indeed.
10 points dropped in the first 14 games, left us trailing the Filth by 7 points.
We only dropped 2 points in the final 20 League games that season (both draws v Aberdeen).
Had we won that Hearts game you mention it would have been a remarkable turnaround from Losing at home to Stenhousemuir and St Mirren, to winning the Double
with an undefeated record of 28 games (25 wins and 3 draws).

are tankings that instantly spring to mind. For me, when it came to the crunch, the filth toyed with their Edinburgh counterparts. Or seemed like it at the time.

Mind you, the 74 LC final is epitomised by wee stinky hitting a shot towards the far side touchline, and Deans steering it into the net via a richochet.

As for the Dryborurgh? I think Hibs might have been 3-0 up at one point. But did it really matter?

You are correct.
They were definitely a thorn in our side in those early 1970's.
It seemed like we would meet them in every Cup competition.
They beat us in the Dryborough Cup Semi Final two years running (72', 73')
The 70-71 season we beat them home and away in the League Cup QF, and the Scottish Cup Semi Final (replay).
71-72 they put us out the Scottish Cup semi Final (replay).
72-73 they put us out the League Cup Semi Final, but we put them out the Scottish Cup.
73-74 we put them out the League Cup QF.
74-75 they beat us home and away in the LC Qualifiers.

13 Cup games in 5 seasons!!!!!!

They did beat Celtic in the League Cup final in 72-73, a nice run the vermin had at the time of losing League Cup Finals to different teams.

Us, Thistle, Hibs then Dundee.

They did beat Celtic in the League Cup final in 72-73, a nice run the vermin had at the time of losing League Cup Finals to different teams.

Us, Thistle, Hibs then Dundee.

Not just League Cup Finals, they LOST TEN (10) Finals in a three year period.
Not quite 10 in a row, but that must be a record.

1970....1-3 v Aberdeen (SCF)
.............1-2 v Feyenoord (ECF)
.............0-1 v Rangers (LCF)
1971...0-1 v Aberdeen (Dryborough Cup Final)
.............1-4 v Partick Thistle (LCF)
1972...3-5 v Hibernian (DCF)
.............1-2v Hibernian (LCF)
1973...0-1 v Hibernian (DCF)
.............0-1 v Dundee (LCF)
............2-3 v Rangers (SCF)

You are correct.
They were definitely a thorn in our side in those early 1970's.
It seemed like we would meet them in every Cup competition.
They beat us in the Dryborough Cup Semi Final two years running (72', 73')
The 70-71 season we beat them home and away in the League Cup QF, and the Scottish Cup Semi Final (replay).
71-72 they put us out the Scottish Cup semi Final (replay).
72-73 they put us out the League Cup Semi Final, but we put them out the Scottish Cup.
73-74 we put them out the League Cup QF.
74-75 they beat us home and away in the LC Qualifiers.

13 Cup games in 5 seasons!!!!!!

74/75 at Ibrox in the deciding qualifier, DJ whacked a ball off the underside. Did it go in? We don't know, but the ratbag from Airdrie (Davidson), was having none of it regardless.

Think Cropley scored in the last minute or so.

74/75 at Ibrox in the deciding qualifier, DJ whacked a ball off the underside. Did it go in? We don't know, but the ratbag from Airdrie (Davidson), was having none of it regardless.

Think Cropley scored in the last minute or so.

I had actually forgotten all about that game.
The bad memories I have of Hibs, stretch back to 2-1 Scottish Cup defeat in 65' in Baxter's comeback game(our only Domestic Cup defeat in two and half years/36 Cup Ties).
The 1-3 League defeat at Ibrox in 69', that turned Peter Marinello overnight into the 'Scottish George Best'. :eek:
Less than a week after our 2-0 ECWC Semi Final v Bayern Munich, Hibs tore us apart in the Scottish Cup Semi final at Hampden and beat us 2-0, and that scoreline flattered us.
Later on that year, they defeated us 1-0 at Hampden in the League Cup Semi Final, with a John Brownlie goal.
Significantly, John Greig was missing (injured) from those last two games.

Getting back to the game you mentioned, they had already beaten us 3-1 at Easter Rd in the first League Cup game, and then they beat us again at Ibrox 1-0 in the League in November, which ended our unbeaten run in the League (after 13 games).
Fortunately, our 4th encounter with them that season did not end in another defeat, and a Colin Stein equaliser gave us our first Title in 11 seasons :))

Not just League Cup Finals, they LOST TEN (10) Finals in a three year period.
Not quite 10 in a row, but that must be a record.

1970....1-3 v Aberdeen (SCF)
.............1-2 v Feyenoord (ECF)
.............0-1 v Rangers (LCF)
1971...0-1 v Aberdeen (Dryborough Cup Final)
.............1-4 v Partick Thistle (LCF)
1972...3-5 v Hibernian (DCF)
.............1-2v Hibernian (LCF)
1973...0-1 v Hibernian (DCF)
.............0-1 v Dundee (LCF)
............2-3 v Rangers (SCF)

Bud, they did get to the finals.

Also, Cooper goal apart
I had actually forgotten all about that game.
The bad memories I have of Hibs, stretch back to 2-1 Scottish Cup defeat in 65' in Baxter's comeback game(our only Domestic Cup defeat in two and half years/36 Cup Ties).
The 1-3 League defeat at Ibrox in 69', that turned Peter Marinello overnight into the 'Scottish George Best'. :eek:
Less than a week after our 2-0 ECWC Semi Final v Bayern Munich, Hibs tore us apart in the Scottish Cup Semi final at Hampden and beat us 2-0, and that scoreline flattered us.
Later on that year, they defeated us 1-0 at Hampden in the League Cup Semi Final, with a John Brownlie goal.
Significantly, John Greig was missing (injured) from those last two games.

Getting back to the game you mentioned, they had already beaten us 3-1 at Easter Rd in the first League Cup game, and then they beat us again at Ibrox 1-0 in the League in November, which ended our unbeaten run in the League (after 13 games).
Fortunately, our 4th encounter with them that season did not end in another defeat, and a Colin Stein equaliser gave us our first Title in 11 seasons :))

The John Brownlie goal. All I remember is our defence kept coming back on itself, inviting the guy to keep on running towards our goal and having a pot at what ended up the only goal.

Another feature of night time games at Hampden was was watching the Hibs goalie of the time, Jim Herriot, putting mud under his eyes. Apparently for him, it helped him cope with the glare from the Hampden floodlights.

Back