On This Day (December 15th)

Sam English

1877 - Vale of Leven 5 Rangers 0 - Scottish Cup 4th Round Replay (4,000)
1883 - Rangers 5 (Untraced) Pilgrims 0 - Friendly
1888 - Rangers 1 (Johnston) Battlefield 2 - Friendly
1894 - Queen's Park 2 Rangers 4 (Boyd 2,Cowan,Barker) - Friendly
1900 - Dundee 1 Rangers 5 (Campbell 2,RC Hamilton,Robertson,A.Smith) -Scottish League Division One (10,000)
1906 - Rangers 0 Motherwell 1 - Scottish League Division One (5,000)
1914 - Rangers 2 (Reid.Bowie) Celtic 1 - Belgian Relief War Fund Shield Semi-Final (Played At Firhill) (9,000)
1917 - Rangers 4 (Brown 2,Archibald,Bowie) Falkirk 1 - Scottish League Division One (8,000)
1923 - Raith Rovers 0 Rangers 1 (Henderson) - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1928 - Airdrieonians 2 Rangers 5 (Fleming 3,Archibald,Morton) - Scottish League Division One (8,000)
1934 - Rangers 2 (Venters,Gillick) Kilmarnock 3 - Scottish League Division One (18,000)
The defeat against Kilmarnock was Rangers' first home defeat in the League in three years.The last side to have come away from Ibrox with the two points had been Queen's Park on 17th October 1931, a run of 56 games without defeat.
1945 - Rangers 5 (Gillick 2,Williamson,Caskie,Waddell) Kilmarnock 1 - Southern League
1951 - Rangers 3 (Thornton,Liddell,Cox) Motherwell 0 - Scottish League Division One (40,000)
1954 - Rangers 1 (Prentice) Rapid Vienna 0 - Friendly (50,000)
1956 - Rangers 5 (Murray 2,Hubbard,Davis,Simpson) Hearts 3 - Scottish League Division One (45,000)
1962 - Rangers 4 (Brand 3,Wilson) Raith Rovers 2 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1970 - Hertha Berlin 3 Rangers 0 - Friendly (14,000)
1973 - Rangers 5 (Conn,Young,MacDonald,Parlane,Smith) St.Johnstone 1 - Scottish League Division One (8,200)
Rangers first League game for three weeks saw them fire five past St.Johnstone,thanks to Alfie Conn,Cutty Young, Alex MacDonald, Derek Parlane and Dave Smith, to register their biggest win of the season
1979 - Rangers 2 (Johnstone,Kopel OG) Dundee Utd 1 - Scottish Premier Division (19,240)
1984 - Rangers 2 (C.Fraser,J.McDonald) St.Mirren 0 - Scottish Premier Division (12,763)
1987 - Rangers 2 (D.Ferguson,McCoist) Dunfermline 2 - Scottish Premier Division (31,678)
1990 - St.Mirren 0 Rangers 3 (Walters,Johnston,Hateley) - Scottish Premier Division (15,197)
2001 - Motherwell 2 Rangers 2 (Arveladze,McCann) - Scottish Premier League (9,864)
2004 - Rangers 0 AJ Auxerre 2 - UEFA Cup Group F (48,847)
2007 - Rangers 2 (McCulloch 2) Hearts 1 - Scottish Premier League (48,392)
2009 - Dundee United 0 Rangers 3 (Miller 2, Beasley) - Scottish Premier League (10,037)
2012 - Montrose 2 Rangers 4 (McCulloch Pen,Kyle,Shiels,Crawford) - Scottish Football League Division 3 (4,205)

2004 - Alex McLeish tried to play for a draw and put out a ridiculously negative team. Lost an early goal and it was all over from there. Think Kalou who went on to play for Chelsea got the opener.

2009 - Beasley, Novo and Miller at their best as we tore them to pieces.

Yes.

Still irks me to this day that Thompson ripped us off with charging us twice.

Aye it was a farce. Him and his bitter supporters got it rammed right up them by our team and supporters on the night.

I understood guys not wanting to go to the game but to me it was the perfect way to humiliate the pricks.

1973 - I think that day was Alfie Conn's last ever appearance for Rangers first team. He got crocked and was out injured for months after it before being sold to Tottenham in the close season of 74. Another thing from that day was that Dundee beat that mob in the League Cup Final.

There was an FF Xmas night after the hearts game in 07. Cracking night from what I remember.

1914 - Rangers 2 (Reid.Bowie) Celtic 1 - Belgian Relief War Fund Shield Semi-Final (Played At Firhill) (9,000)

Jimmy Bowie played in the No 8 jersey and scored the winning goal to advance to the final against Morton who beat Rangers 1 - 2 in the Final again at Firhill.

1973 - I think that day was Alfie Conn's last ever appearance for Rangers first team. He got crocked and was out injured for months after it before being sold to Tottenham in the close season of 74. Another thing from that day was that Dundee beat that mob in the League Cup Final.

1973 - 28,000 at the filth game I believe. If Davie White had won that particular competition five years earlier...…. It's all about ifs, buts, might have beens and if your auntie had baws

Must be the lowest ever for a LC final involving us or that shower, by a large, large margin.

1917 - Rangers 4 (Brown 2,Archibald,Bowie) Falkirk 1, Scottish League Division One (8,000)

Jimmy Bowie scored the last goal playing in the inside right position, Rangers would go on to win the League

1973 - 28,000 at the filth game I believe. If Davie White had won that particular competition five years earlier...…. It's all about ifs, buts, might have beens and if your auntie had baws

Must be the lowest ever for a LC final involving us or that shower, by a large, large margin.

Was that Cup final an early kick off for some reason? From memory, their game was done before ours started?

Was that Cup final an early kick off for some reason? From memory, their game was done before ours started?

Dundee V Septic in the League Cup Final, If I remember it pour of rain that day the ground was very heavy, Tommy Gemmell lifted the cup for Dundee

Was pleased for Davie Whyte lifting that trophy.

Dundee V Septic in the League Cup Final, If I remember it pour of rain that day the ground was very heavy, Tommy Gemmell lifted the cup for Dundee

It was a filthy day after a week of terrible weather in the city. A bit like today's. When we were going over to Ibrox the Clyde was at the highest I'd ever seen it and we wondered if the game would be called off. The club took pity on the supporters and made entry free for the Centenary Stand. The League Cup Final at Hampden kicked off at least an hour earlier and there was a fair bit of celebration at half time at Ibrox when the result came through.

Back