On This Day (February 28th)

Sam English

1880- Hibernian 1 Rangers 4 (Pringle,McNeil,Untraced 2) - Friendly
1885 - Rangers 3
(Untraced) Cambuslang 1 - Friendly (2,000)
1891 - St.Mirren 3 Rangers 7 (H.McCreadie 2,Henderson 2,Kerr,J.McPherson,Sloan OG) - Scottish League
1903 - Celtic 0 Rangers 3
(A.Smith,J.Walker,R.C.Hamilton) - Scottish Cup Quarter-Final (40,000)
1914 - Queen's Park 0 Rangers 6 (Reid 4,Stewart,A.Smith) - Scottish League Division One (30,000)
1920 - Rangers 1 (Walls) Clyde 0 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1922 - Rangers 0 Falkirk 0 - Scottish League Division One (18,000)
1928 - Rangers 4 (Marshall 2,Cunningham,Morton) Queen's Park 0 - Scottish League Division One (10,000)
1931 - Hamilton Accies 0 Rangers 3 (Dr.Marshall 2,J.Smith) - Scottish League Division One (10,000)
1942 - Rangers 5 (Waddell 2,Marshall 2,Venters) Third Lanark 1 - Southern League Cup Section Four (8,000)
1948 - Rangers 2 (Gillick,Thornton) Queen of the South 3 - Scottish League Division One (34,000)
1953 - Rangers 4 (B.Simpson 3.Prentice) Falkirk 0 -Scottish League Division One (35,000)
1959 - Celtic 2 Rangers 1 (Murray) - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (45,500)
1962 - Rangers 2 (Millar,Scott) Motherwell 1 - Scottish League Division One (40,000)
1966 - Ross County 0 Rangers 2 (Johnston,McLean) - Scottish Cup 2nd Round (8,500)
1970 - Hibernian 2 Rangers 2 (Stein,Greig) - Scottish League Division One (31,332)
1973 - Hibernian 1 Rangers 2 (McLean 2 1Pen) - Scottish Cup 4th Round Replay (49,007)
1976 - Motherwell 0 Rangers 1 (Johnstone) - Scottish Premier Division (25,241)
1981 - Rangers 2 (J.McDonald,Redford) Airdrieonians 0 - Scottish Premier Division (12,200)
1987 - Rangers 1 (D.McPherson) Hibernian 1 - Scottish Premier Division (38,630)
1998 - Rangers 2 (Albertz 2) Hearts 2 - Scottish Premier Division (50,046)
1999 - Kilmanock 0 Rangers 5 (Wallace 3,McCann,Johansson) - Scottish Premier League (16,242)
2002 - Feyenoord 3 Rangers 2 (McCann,Ferguson Pen) - UEFA Cup (45,000)
2009 - Hamilton Accies 0 Rangers 1 (Ferguson) - Scottish Premier League (5,895)
2010 - Rangers 1 (Edu) Celtic 0 - Scottish Premier League - (50,320)
2013 - The Commission established by the Scottish Premier League to investigate allegations of historic non-disclosure of payments made to players announced it's findings In their findings, the Commission, headed by Lord Nimmo Smith, stated: “Rangers FC did not gain any unfair competitive advantage from the contraventions of the SPL rules in failing to make proper disclosure of the side-letter arrangements, nor did the non-disclosure have the effect that any of the registered players were ineligible to play, and for this and other reasons no sporting sanction or penalty should be imposed on Rangers FC."

1973 it was that busy that fans were trying to climb out the stadium as the police wouldn’t open the doors to let anyone out because the amount still trying to get in as the turnstiles were closed due to overcrowding

We were linked with a bid for Ray Houghton in the papers that morning, a Scottish born Catholic player who played for the Republic of Ireland.
Let's just say the crowd gave regular hints to Souness that they weren't keen on it happening.

Alan Rough gave as good a goalkeeping performance as I've ever seen against us.

Home end in 2002. Not a pleasant experience.

Still cant believe Mols miss mind you

1973 it was that busy that fans were trying to climb out the stadium as the police wouldn’t open the doors to let anyone out because the amount still trying to get in as the turnstiles were closed due to overcrowding

We went through to the game that night in my older brother’s car. My older brother and my uncle got through the turnstiles just ahead of me and straight after my brother went through the turnstile, the operator shut the door. All the gates closed and there was pandemonium outside as loads of guys attempted to get into the ground while others were trying to climb out. I heard the roars for both of our goals while I stood outside but eventually ended up going for a walk until the game ended.

First half played in the snow. Lost a ridiculous second goal before a last minute equaliser in front of a half empty stadium.

1999 away to Kilmarnock - we scored 4 of the 5 goals in the 2nd half. Guivarch (remember him?!) started but JJ came on the 2nd half and we blew them away. We wore the awesome red away strip that night.

1903 - Although the support of that time wouldn't have know it. That would have been in hindsight a bittersweet result, because that SC winning season would be the last for 25 long, long years.

1973 - I think 47,000 crammed in on the last day of the league season to see the filth clinch their eighth. Three goals and cruising in the first half. Back then, Hibs were the Aberdeen of their day when it came to tackling the filth.

Was in with their support, right behind the dugouts.

Only saw the first half as the stewards "couldn't guarantee our safety!"
They charged at us before them home leg, too. And fought with the cops. These guys looked like Hells Angels and were clobbering anything in sight LOL.

1903 - Although the support of that time wouldn't have know it. That would have been in hindsight a bittersweet result, because that SC winning season would be the last for 25 long, long years.

1973 - I think 47,000 crammed in on the last day of the league season to see the filth clinch their eighth. Three goals and cruising in the first half. Back then, Hibs were the Aberdeen of their day when it came to tackling the filth.
73 was a cup replay mate

1999 away to Kilmarnock - we scored 4 of the 5 goals in the 2nd half. Guivarch (remember him?!) started but JJ came on the 2nd half and we blew them away. We wore the awesome red away strip that night.
Did Coisty miss a glorious chance for them at 1-0?

Did Coisty miss a glorious chance for them at 1-0?
That I can't remember, but am sure BBC would have shown the miss multiple times with someone like Rob McLean constantly repeating how Super never missed chances like that whilst playing for Rangers.

Can't believe the Edu OF game was 11 years ago.

He scored a cracking goal right after he got subbed on and it got disallowed im sure also.

First half played in the snow. Lost a ridiculous second goal before a last minute equaliser in front of a half empty stadium.

What was Bjorklund doing? I know people on here seem to love him but this is always what I think of when I read his name.

Was that the game where Goram kicked the ball straight to Neil McCann for him to score Hearts opener?

There was some kind of mix up aye. McCann scored from about 20 yards iirc. It was a side foot into the top corner, although the goal was empty.

What was Bjorklund doing? I know people on here seem to love him but this is always what I think of when I read his name.

He was a solid defender and pacey but couldn't do much else. Absolutely snookered with the ball at his feet.

Just watching those highlights it's very much a team on its last legs/past it's best.

Gough, McCall, Thern, Gazza and Laudrup all looking pretty 'leggy'. Coupled with that ridiculous 5 at the back system we played. That would be fine if you had full back like Hutton and David Robertson. With Cleland and Albertz, it just didnt work.

1973 didn’t get in spent the night in a pub with loads of other bears.
I remember a poster on the gantry saying Hibs cup year.
They waited 43 years I hope they never win it again.

1959 first old firm game I remember Murray scored in the last minute.
Too little too late they lost 4-0 to St Mirren in the semi.

He was a solid defender and pacey but couldn't do much else. Absolutely snookered with the ball at his feet.

Just watching those highlights it's very much a team on its last legs/past it's best.

Gough, McCall, Thern, Gazza and Laudrup all looking pretty 'leggy'. Coupled with that ridiculous 5 at the back system we played. That would be fine if you had full back like Hutton and David Robertson. With Cleland and Albertz, it just didnt work.

We changed tactics the next game against Motherwell and chucked McCoist in as Durie was injured and Negri had stopped playing and it almost dragged us over the line.

Too little, too late.

1998. I ended up going with a mate to Easter Rd, hoping to see Hibs take something off that mob.
It wasnt to be, with them winning 1-0 from a goal which should never have stood.
Left there dejected, wondering if we’d pull back from the setback at Ibrox.

Back