On this day in 1947, Rangers v Hibs had a crowd of over 125,000

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
On March 8th 1947, dreams of a Rangers “treble” were dashed when Hibs won a Scottish Cup replay at Easter Road by 2-0 thanks to goals by Willie Ormond and Jock Cuthbertson. It meant that Hibs had a record of 2 wins and 2 draws from the 4 matches played between the teams in season 1946/47, holding something of an Indian sign over the Ibrox men, even though Rangers were league leaders. The crowd was just under 49,000, an incredible number for the Easter Road ground, but that number would be dwarfed just a fortnight later as both clubs were paired together again in the League Cup semi-finals.

Hampden Park was the venue on March 22nd, and the clash between the country’s best teams attracted an astonishing crowd of 125,154. The massive attendance was perhaps no surprise, with the two teams having played in front of over 100,000 just 9 months earlier in the Victory Cup final at the national stadium, and the first Scottish Cup drawn match a few weeks earlier had attracted 95,000 to Ibrox.

This was seen by many as the final before the final, whoever came out on top would be huge favourites to take home the trophy for the first time. The Rangers side that lined up at Hampden saw some significant changes from the team who lost at Easter Road. Willie Rae replaced veteran Charlie Watkins at left half, while Willie Waddell and Billy Williamson came into the forward line with Jimmy Parlane and Jimmy Caskie dropping out. The full Rangers starting eleven was as follows:

Bobby Brown, George Young, Jock Shaw; Ian McColl, Willie Woodburn, Willie Rae; Willie Waddell, Torry Gillick, Billy Williamson, Willie Thornton, Jimmy Duncanson.

The massive crowd expected a classic, and they weren’t disappointed as both teams went all out for goals. It was Rangers who won the battle, a magnificent first half display seeing them score three times though a Gillick header in 17 minutes, another header from the deadly Willie Thornton and a brilliant angled shot from Willie Waddell. Although Hibs managed a reply from Cuthbertson, the Easter Road men had to admit defeat to the better team on the day, as Rangers finally got the better of their Edinburgh rivals. The match was a particular triumph for Rangers captain Jock Shaw, whose magnificent positional play and sharp tackling had rendered the Hibs danger man Gordon Smith totally ineffective. This was particularly important in the second half, as Rangers had to play for virtually the entire second period with ten fit players after Waddell pulled a muscle and was no more than a spectator. The 3-1 final score matched the scoreline from the Victory Cup the previous June.

It was a sad day for Edinburgh, as Hearts crashed 6-2 to Aberdeen in the other semi-final, meaning the first ever Scottish League Cup final would be contested between Rangers and Aberdeen.

Waddell's injury meant he missed the final a few weeks later, when Rangers won the first-ever League Cup competition when goals by Torry Gillick, Billy Williamson and Jimmy Duncanson (2) gave them a thumping 4-0 win over The Dons. Waddell would never win a League Cup badge, also missing the final two years later when Rangers beat Raith Rovers 2-0 on the road to securing the first treble in Scottish football history.

Rangers and Hibs would meet in front of 3 more 100,000+ crowds during their great post-war rivalry. The largest of all these attendances came in the Scottish Cup semi-final the following year, when 143,570 packed into Hampden to see a Willie Thornton goal separate the teams and earn Rangers a place in the final against Morton.

The other two 6-figure attendances were at Ibrox. In April 1950, a crowd of 101,209 crammed into the stadium to see the teams play out a 0-0 draw that took Rangers to within a point of the title. Then, in February 1951, Ibrox hosted 102,342 when Hibs knocked holders Rangers out of the Scottish Cup with a 2-1 win. There have only been 4 recorded crowds of more than 100,000 at Ibrox, it's perhaps surprising to some that half of them were against Hibs.

"There have only been 4 recorded crowds of more than 100,000 at Ibrox, it's perhaps surprising to some that half of them were against Hibs."

So, the two detailed in the opening thread and we have the record attendance of 118,567 on 2nd January 1939, what was the other, presumably against Celtic?

"There have only been 4 recorded crowds of more than 100,000 at Ibrox, it's perhaps surprising to some that half of them were against Hibs."

So, the two detailed in the opening thread and we have the record attendance of 118,567 on 2nd January 1939, what was the other, presumably against Celtic?
105,000 v Celtic in the League Cup in October 1948.

Just before my time. I was usually taken to the smaller games at Ibrox in the mid to late fifties like Clyde or Third Lanark, but distinctly remember the first ’big’ game with Ibrox seemingly packed out was against Hibs. This was a ’test’ by my dad to see if I was ready to be taken to a Celtic game.

It is odd that my recollections of these games are quite poor. I simply have ’impressions’ and small snapshots of what happened. For example, Bobby Shearer losing his shorts on the field, or the way Alex Scott would hunch his shoulders when he ran with the ball. The ’big’ man at the back, George Young, seemed huge and George Niven would always wear a red football shirt, but as for remembering the results, impossible. I only remember that we always won.

That was probably Hibs' most successful period in their history with the famous five?
Absolutely, the famous battle of The Iron Curtain v The Famous Five.

The first 7 league titles after the war

1947 Rangers 1st, Hibs 2nd
1948 Hibs 1st, Rangers 2nd
1949 Rangers 1st, Hibs 3rd (Dundee were 2nd)
1950 Rangers 1st, Hibs 2nd
1951 Hibs 1st, Rangers 2nd
1952 Hibs 1st, Rangers 2nd
1953 Rangers 1st, Hibs 2nd

I could be wrong, but I'm sure the LC sections from 46/47 are still notable in that we played six and won them all.

It was only matched in 83/84 when a rather less capable side under John Greig repeated the feat.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure the LC sections from 46/47 are still notable in that we played six and won them all.

It was only matched in 83/84 when a rather less capable side under John Greig repeated the feat.
In 1983/84, we didn't even concede a goal!

In 1983/84, we didn't even concede a goal!
I was at most of the games and Tannadice in the fog. Didn't see Mitchell's equalising goal but went with the roars of our troops, elsewhere up the stadium. Then there was another Cooper masterclass in the second leg.

The final and that particular Allytale, was well, the icing on the cake.

I was at the cesspit eight days later when we were back to normal. That was a long night shift let me tell you.

That was probably Hibs' most successful period in their history with the famous five?
Eddie Turnbull said Give us the Rangers defence and our forward line and Scotland could beat the world.

It's scary to think, that if the muppets in Blazers at Park gardens back then weren't so backward thinking, Turnbull's thought's might at least have got Scotland further than they've ever been in a major competition.

Eddie Turnbull said Give us the Rangers defence and our forward line and Scotland could beat the world.

It's scary to think, that if the muppets in Blazers at Park gardens back then weren't so backward thinking, Turnbull's thought's might at least have got Scotland further than they've ever been in a major competition.
Gordon Smith has a record that you could surely stick a £1 million pound bet that it will never be beaten. A league winner with Hibs, Hearts,and Dundee. My late old man always said Laudrup reminded him of Smith. High praise indeed for Smith. :)

Gordon Smith has a record that you could surely stick a £1 million pound bet that it will never be beaten. A league winner with Hibs, Hearts,and Dundee. My late old man always said Laudrup reminded him of Smith. High praise indeed for Smith. :)
My granda said he'd never seen a more elegant footballer than Gordon Smith. (Nijinsky in studs)

However, he did say he could never do it for Scotland the way Willie Waddell did.

Imagine an ancestor of mine being Rangers minded?

However, I have actually seen the back page headlines after Waddell and Scotland thumped Northern Ireland at Windsor Park 8-2 (1950?)

''Irish eyes are crying. Waddell punched em!''

Incidentally, a Henry Morris who played for East Fife, made his Scotland debut that day, scored a hat trick and was never selected again.

Unreal to think of that many fans at a Scottish football game, and back in those times. The sheer logistics of it all

My granda said he'd never seen a more elegant footballer than Gordon Smith. (Nijinsky in studs)

However, he did say he could never do it for Scotland the way Willie Waddell did.

Imagine an ancestor of mine being Rangers minded?

However, I have actually seen the back page headlines after Waddell and Scotland thumped Northern Ireland at Windsor Park 8-2 (1950?)

''Irish eyes are crying. Waddell punched em!''

Incidentally, a Henry Morris who played for East Fife, made his Scotland debut that day, scored a hat trick and was never selected again.
I love the tangents these history threads go off in!

My old dad said there were 4 players from before my time that he wished Rangers had signed.

Billy Steel from Dundee.
Gordon Smith from Hibs then Hearts.
John White from Falkirk.
Dave McKay from Hearts.

On March 8th 1947, dreams of a Rangers “treble” were dashed when Hibs won a Scottish Cup replay at Easter Road by 2-0 thanks to goals by Willie Ormond and Jock Cuthbertson. It meant that Hibs had a record of 2 wins and 2 draws from the 4 matches played between the teams in season 1946/47, holding something of an Indian sign over the Ibrox men, even though Rangers were league leaders. The crowd was just under 49,000, an incredible number for the Easter Road ground, but that number would be dwarfed just a fortnight later as both clubs were paired together again in the League Cup semi-finals.

Hampden Park was the venue on March 22nd, and the clash between the country’s best teams attracted an astonishing crowd of 125,154. The massive attendance was perhaps no surprise, with the two teams having played in front of over 100,000 just 9 months earlier in the Victory Cup final at the national stadium, and the first Scottish Cup drawn match a few weeks earlier had attracted 95,000 to Ibrox.

This was seen by many as the final before the final, whoever came out on top would be huge favourites to take home the trophy for the first time. The Rangers side that lined up at Hampden saw some significant changes from the team who lost at Easter Road. Willie Rae replaced veteran Charlie Watkins at left half, while Willie Waddell and Billy Williamson came into the forward line with Jimmy Parlane and Jimmy Caskie dropping out. The full Rangers starting eleven was as follows:

Bobby Brown, George Young, Jock Shaw; Ian McColl, Willie Woodburn, Willie Rae; Willie Waddell, Torry Gillick, Billy Williamson, Willie Thornton, Jimmy Duncanson.

The massive crowd expected a classic, and they weren’t disappointed as both teams went all out for goals. It was Rangers who won the battle, a magnificent first half display seeing them score three times though a Gillick header in 17 minutes, another header from the deadly Willie Thornton and a brilliant angled shot from Willie Waddell. Although Hibs managed a reply from Cuthbertson, the Easter Road men had to admit defeat to the better team on the day, as Rangers finally got the better of their Edinburgh rivals. The match was a particular triumph for Rangers captain Jock Shaw, whose magnificent positional play and sharp tackling had rendered the Hibs danger man Gordon Smith totally ineffective. This was particularly important in the second half, as Rangers had to play for virtually the entire second period with ten fit players after Waddell pulled a muscle and was no more than a spectator. The 3-1 final score matched the scoreline from the Victory Cup the previous June.

It was a sad day for Edinburgh, as Hearts crashed 6-2 to Aberdeen in the other semi-final, meaning the first ever Scottish League Cup final would be contested between Rangers and Aberdeen.

Waddell's injury meant he missed the final a few weeks later, when Rangers won the first-ever League Cup competition when goals by Torry Gillick, Billy Williamson and Jimmy Duncanson (2) gave them a thumping 4-0 win over The Dons. Waddell would never win a League Cup badge, also missing the final two years later when Rangers beat Raith Rovers 2-0 on the road to securing the first treble in Scottish football history.

Rangers and Hibs would meet in front of 3 more 100,000+ crowds during their great post-war rivalry. The largest of all these attendances came in the Scottish Cup semi-final the following year, when 143,570 packed into Hampden to see a Willie Thornton goal separate the teams and earn Rangers a place in the final against Morton.

The other two 6-figure attendances were at Ibrox. In April 1950, a crowd of 101,209 crammed into the stadium to see the teams play out a 0-0 draw that took Rangers to within a point of the title. Then, in February 1951, Ibrox hosted 102,342 when Hibs knocked holders Rangers out of the Scottish Cup with a 2-1 win. There have only been 4 recorded crowds of more than 100,000 at Ibrox, it's perhaps surprising to some that half of them were against Hibs.
This history is wonderful, dh1963. I can't say for sure that I've been in a crowd of 100K+, but I can remember being at Hampden for a really atmospheric Scotland v Spain game around the autumn of 1973 on a really foggy night when something happened at the celtic end which we, in the Rangers end couldn't see, but those in the celtic end could. If I recall correctly, Graeme Souness made his debut for Scotland that night. It was our BB which organised the trip to Hampden. The noise that rippled along from their end was like raw electricity and it has stayed with me ever since. I think someone told me the attendance was just short of 100K, maybe 96K, but it was still an amazing experience for a young boy. I would love to see and hear Ibrox with a crowd of 100,000+ now. Thanks for the history!

This history is wonderful, dh1963. I can't say for sure that I've been in a crowd of 100K+, but I can remember being at Hampden for a really atmospheric Scotland v Spain game around the autumn of 1973 on a really foggy night when something happened at the celtic end which we, in the Rangers end couldn't see, but those in the celtic end could. If I recall correctly, Graeme Souness made his debut for Scotland that night. It was our BB which organised the trip to Hampden. The noise that rippled along from their end was like raw electricity and it has stayed with me ever since. I think someone told me the attendance was just short of 100K, maybe 96K, but it was still an amazing experience for a young boy. I would love to see and hear Ibrox with a crowd of 100,000+ now. Thanks for the history!
Both Souness and Tommy Hutchinson, then of Coventry City, I think, made their debuts that night.

As you say, it was a foggy night. I'm pretty sure Scotland opened the scoring and Spain ended up 2-1 winners.

I also think it was late 74 and the crowd was given as 92,000.

Last edited:
When I was at the Oasis gig in Knebworth in '96 which also had 125,000, I turned around and said to my mate, "There is NO fücking way this amount of people used to go to football matches!!". Honestly it was mind boggling as you couldn't see beyond people everywhere.

Back