On this day in 1977: Crossbar broken and turf as souvenirs as Wembley belongs to the Tartan Army

I was at both matches and on the pitch at the end.The big difference was the attitude of the police,we all know what happened in Barcelona.At Wembley the police just let the fans get on with it,in fact a cop helped me off the terracing on to the pitch.
Pitch invasions were not uncommon back then and were tolerated within reason.Unfortunately the Spanish cops saw this as a challenge to their authority and reacted badly,that's what made the story.

The friendly pitch invasions of Barcelona and Wembley weren't the problem, mate. The isolation and blaming of Rangers fans for the pitch invasion in Barcelona by the media to this day is the problem.

I was there. Great day. I wasn’t on the pitch then nor at any other game for Scotland or, indeed, Rangers at any other time since.

Just don’t get the need to be on the pitch. I managed to celebrate fine in the stands/terracing.
I was on the pitch, but it wasn’t an invasion, I was getting crushed at th3 front and had to go on, in fact it was a copper who helped me out. :p

I was there and really ,nearly everyone was a Rangers fan.Changed days.Wouldn't get out my bed to watch the scotshit team now.

Reactions: TQ3
I was, unfortunately, just too young at the time but watching the archives of this always makes me smile.

Different times of course, but there must be some great, mental stories of the Wembley weekend. Does anyone still have a slab of turf in the garden? :D

I brought a bit back with me and planted it in the back garden but forgot to dig it up when I moved house years later.

Remember , 90% of the Scots fans back then were Rangers fans.
The hooligan culture got out of control long before that, in the early 70’s when the Man Utd fans almost dismantled a stand at Norwich.
And my uncle had a piece of Wembley turf from 1967, when the fans also ran onto the pitch, albeit in lesser numbers.
Every Wembley weekend was mayhem booze wise.
Maybe it was my own personal experience, but I recall that weekend being worse than most. It had a kinda ugly undertone, with cans getting lobbed at random, and fowk pissing everywhere. And that’s in central London. However, my point was really that I don’t recall the media being so romantic about it at the time. IIRC, there was widespread condemnation of the Scottish support across all the media at the time. I know hooliganism existed prior to then but it was around the mid to late 70s that it started to be perceived as a real problem. I find it ironic that the Herald seem to think it’s something to celebrate now.

Also, I know a large amount of Bears followed the national team back then, but I think 90% is a touch high. Even some poets supported Scotland then, and often mixed buses ran from some pubs. There was an unspoken truce then that they didn’t abuse Rangers players and we didn’t abuse mentally challengeds. How things have changed, eh?

Was a bit young to go in 77,but made the trip in 81(I think) when John Robertson scored a penalty. Great times but Sadly, i wouldn't open my curtains to watch Scotland if they were playing out the back now
That was the year we were apparently banned!
Goodness knows where the fans got their tickets but they did and filled the place.

An odd but lasting memory was switching in our old TV to was the game and seeing what I thought was the place full of white English flags, only to then realise the colour was turned down on the tele and when turned up the lion rampants appeared!!

I was there, one of a minority of English, I'd guess we were outnumbered at least three to one. Most certainly one of the very few who were wearing England colours of scarf and hat.

It was my first of 9 Auld Firm games - Six at Wembley and 3 at Hampden.

I managed to secure a ticket the night before in Luton when as usual, our town was full of Scots for the Wembley weekender.

It was on this day on the terrace (tunnel end) that I met a bloke called Jim Moffat from Kilsyth. His crowd (all Bears) just happened to be staying in a Luton hotel that weekend and I went back on their coach.

Coincidentally, it also turned out his wife Sandra - was related by cousin to a Luton mate's wife!

I took their crowd up my local Working Mens Club that night and so began from that day onwards, a great friendship between Jim and I. Stayed at his place in Kilsyth many times since and him and Sandra at mine down here. They were at my wedding and 40th party. I was at their Golden Wedding Anniversary.

It was the very beginning of a great Luton/Kilsyth friendship link that continues to this very day.

Been up there dozens of times whenever watching Rangers and got to know so many Kilsyth Gers friends as a result. In fact it was only on March 17th I was last up there, for the funeral of one of those Bears who I first met in 1992. RIP Tam Adams. :(

Of course those were in the days when despite my Scots father and 3/4 Scots Grandparents - I supported England! .......and the vast majority of Scotland fans (certainly that I ever met) were Bears.

How times change. Scotland fans and many Scottish people now HATE Rangers, our fans and the English (which in fairness most probably did even then) :p

It's ironic, I wouldn't cross the road to watch England now (my last was in 2000) it's ONLY Luton & Rangers for me now and I'm sure because of the poisonous hatred shown towards our club and fans - most of those older Bears who are still with us - wouldn't watch Scotland anymore either!

RTID Luton Loyal

I was, unfortunately, just too young at the time but watching the archives of this always makes me smile.

Different times of course, but there must be some great, mental stories of the Wembley weekend. Does anyone still have a slab of turf in the garden? :D

My Dad was there with his nephews, I was only 3 at the time but the photos are brilliant!

Was it in 1977 there was a murder on a train from Glasgow to London at the Wembley weekend? mentally challenged from Govan stabbed a boy from Ayrshire.

Went into Glasgow for a Friday night at the dancing. After first couple of jars was walking to next watering hole near central station and saw the fans heading to central station for the specials. Madness followed and off we went for a fiver return if I recall with a cargo and good gear on as well. Arrived 6.30 am in London. Got a ticket at Wembley for £20 which was a lot in those days but worth it just to have been there. Scotland were a top team then. Sadly I really couldn’t care less now
Brilliant! :p , some great stories on this thread

Was it in 1977 there was a murder on a train from Glasgow to London at the Wembley weekend? mentally challenged from Govan stabbed a boy from Ayrshire.

I thought it was 1979 but stand to be corrected.

*Just checked it was 1979. There's an account of it in this book....
Tracking the Hooligans - The History of Football Violence on the UK Rail.

Last edited:
My next door neighbor wrecked my home-made goalposts that day. Wee bar steward. Yes, I still feel bitter. Let's just say he went to a different school ;)

I was 10 and remember the house going nuts, my dad jumping about like zebedee.
I met Alex Torrance years later ( he was the one that sat on the crossbar and broke it) he worked in the Meiklejohn suite and then later in the Kensington Bar. Sadly he died a few years ago, drink is a bad thing.

Reactions: TQ3

I wasn't there but was informed it was my mate's cousin (Peel Glen boy) who swiped rod stewarts watch.

Was on the pitch that day. It was acceptable to support them then. Stopped going in the mid 80's. Even then it was apparent what was happening.

Back