On this day in 1989 - we signed Mel Sterland

Main Stand

Official Ticketer
- £750,000 (seems a lot for back then, especially considering we got Butcher for less)
- an England international
- plays 9 league games
- heads back to England to be a mainstay of Leeds United.

Any memories?.

Just seems a tad weird.

Last edited:
- £750,000 (seems a lot for back then, especially considering we got Butcher for less)
- an England international
- plays 9 league games
- heads back to England to be a mainstay of Leeds United.

Any memories?.

Just seems a tad weird, I know Souness never really fancied Munro but was this just a case of Munro being undroppable at this point?.
Was he not a right back? I remember him signing but not much else. I also remember umpteen left backs being brought in such as Phillips, bartram & eventually bomber but Munro was a consistent performer.

Was he not a right back? I remember him signing but not much else. I also remember umpteen left backs being brought in such as Phillips, bartram & eventually bomber but Munro was a consistent performer.
I was getting him confused with Phillip’s and Vinnecomb, apologies :))

Was a player I couldn't take to. Seemed every pass up the line ended up out of the park. Gary Stevens was head and shoulders better so he was a major comedown for me. I'd play Davie McPherson at RB before him. Glad when he left.

Souness signed him to play on the right hand side of midfield but come the summer we got an upgrade in Trevor Steven and sold him to Leeds for what we paid Sheff Wed.

Decent enough player scored on his debut and netted two goals in a 4 nil win against Hearts to clinch the league.

I'm sure he scored against Stranraer in a Cup Game as well?

Was a big miss for Leeds when they played us in 1992. Think they had three centre halves playing in the back four at Ibrox in Fairclough, Whyte and Newsome.

Was a player I couldn't take to. Seemed every pass up the line ended up out of the park. Gary Stevens was head and shoulders better so he was a major comedown for me. I'd play Davie McPherson at RB before him. Glad when he left.
This is my memory (although at LB not RB?). Depending on which way we were playing he was more of a danger to the folk in the enclosures or Govan Front than the opposition.
I was told he was referred to as "the flying pig" when at Leeds. Don't know why but it doesn't seem like a term of endearment to me...

This is my memory (although at LB not RB?). Depending on which way we were playing he was more of a danger to the folk in the enclosures or Govan Front than the opposition.
I was told he was referred to as "the flying pig" when at Leeds. Don't know why but it doesn't seem like a term of endearment to me...
I actually had him down on my OP as a left back, but edited at another poster mentioned he was right sided.

He was outstanding the day we beat Hearts 4-0 to clinch the title. The reason I remember that is because he was normally far from outstanding. As in bloody awful.
His performance in the 89 Cup Final- good grief!

Because he was a fatty.

Back