On this day in 1997

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
February 8th 1997
Dunfermline 0 Rangers 3

A routine away win as we marched to 9 in a row, but the goals that day were anything but routine. In the space of a few second half minutes Jorg Albertz and Brian Laudrup had their own competition to see who could score goal of the season.

26 years ago, how time flies!

Random fact-
Watched this game in the Kearney Rangers Supporters club in New Jersey.
Met a diehard Rangers fan in the club,an elderly gentleman who was called Jim Harkes.
He was originally from Dundee and his son John played for a variety of English clubs and his grandson currently plays for Dundee Utd.
When John Harkes came to the UK to play football he was courted by celtic (as they wrongly thought he was one of them).
Anyway,as you say a routine 3-0 away win with goals that weren’t routine :)

Random fact-
Met a diehard Rangers fan in the club,an elderly gentleman who was called Jim Harkes.
He was originally from Dundee and his son John played for a variety of English clubs and his grandson currently plays for Dundee Utd.
When John Harkes came to the UK to play football he was courted by celtic (as they wrongly thought he was one of them).

I remember John Harkes playing in England and scoring a belter of a goal and that he was linked to them - good to know his Dad is one of the good guys :)

I can see myself behind the goal celebrating numbers 2 and 3, and what goals they were!

The old style East End Park was always one of my favourite away games - 18,000 punters, a cracking atmosphere and some great matches down the years. Contrast with the soulless grounds we have today, due to the short sightedness of those who refuse to sellout their stadia when they easily could.

Great memories @dh1963. I can't believe it's 26 years ago!

Random fact-
Doesn't the Dundee United Harkes have a partner who plays for Celtic women?

Doesn't the Dundee United Harkes have a partner who plays for Celtic women?
He is married to Sarah Teegarden (Harkes) who is American.
She did play for Celtic women’s team,but has retired from professional soccer now.

Always enjoyed a trip to Dunfermline. Wasn't the worst support in the world (often had tickets for their end) and usually had a night out before or after depending if the game was Saturday or Sunday.

As for the OP, the strike by Albertz is often overlooked when discussing his best goals, but the technique is top drawer.

In amongst a weird run where we couldn't put more than two wins together in the league.

I mind watching The Team That Was of our team that season and not realising how far ahead we were at points and also how close we ended up being ran. For some reason I always had it in my head that we romped it that season.

Always loved when Goram started wearing that all white kit :cool:

Always enjoyed a trip to Dunfermline. Wasn't the worst support in the world (often had tickets for their end) and usually had a night out before or after depending if the game was Saturday or Sunday.

As for the OP, the strike by Albertz is often overlooked when discussing his best goals, but the technique is top drawer.
Used to go to The Elizabethan Pub prematch for Dunfermline away.

Random fact-
His son was the US team captain ?
Jim Harkes came from Fleming Gardens the housing behind the shed end at Tannadice.
The housing was named / donated after the Dundonian Robert Fleming who worked his way up through the Victorian industrial wealth / Investment trust scene in Dundee and ended up founding Flemings Bank.
His grandson was Eton educated Ian Fleming, author of the James Bond books
Random facts as you say.

Last edited:
Brilliant, was probably there but no recollection of this game whatsoever :))
Two great goals though

Watching that, I couldn’t help thinking that Scottish football has changed so much in the quarter century since.

The goals aside, would we be happy watching a Rangers performance like that now? Lots of head tennis, unable to put more than three or four passes together, balls bumping around, being over hit and running out of play.

At the time we were all probably happy enough, especially when we had players of the calibre of Laudrup and Albertz able to do what they did, but now I think we’re conditioned to dominating possession and our accuracy of passing and ability to control games is more pronounced.

At the same time, you’d still take that team to whip the current lot nine times out of ten.

Back