On this day in 2008, Rangers took over Manchester as over 200,000 fans travelled for the UEFA Cup final against Zenit.

My old man got his van all sign written and drove down. Camped at some Rugby Club in Stockport dubbed 'Bear Camp'. It was clear even then there was a fair few roasters that had latched onto the trip for a day out tbh.

Spent most of the day at Piccadilly with a cargo. No proper portaloos so everyone was pishing against a wall at the side, all day. There was a big sheet of cladding on the deck that all the pish was running down. I remember a guy walked across it and went arse over tit. It was disgusting! Drenched in about 5000 different bears pish.

Manchester Council were a disgrace that day and what went down at Piccadilly with the screens was an utter scandal. Have they ever admitted there was no problem with the screens? Ended up catching it at the screen below the ferris wheel.

After we woke up the next day we threw all our sleeping bags cushions and duvets in the back of the van. I jumped in the back and lay on them all. Woke up just as we pulled up to my house.

Had an amazing day in sun kissed Manchester, truth be told I ruined it for myself with drink & gear as an idiot 22 year old. Went to the game already rattling and as we all know the match turned out a disaster. Marched back with the crowd from the stadium to Picadilly where we were staying and was blissfully unaware of the bother that was going on elsewhere. We will have a job reaching those heights again but that’s why we are Rangers!

It was quite a day. The atmosphere was incredible. Wherever one went in and around the city centre it was mobbed. Well over 200,000. I would guess nearer the half million mark. I’ve never seen a city, literally, taken over. It is surely a world record. Every major area was difficult to get through. The pictures prove my point.

I made my way hours before kick-off to City’s stadium. Thank god I did. I had managed to get a ticket off a Russian at face-value! Getting into the ground at the Russian end was black comedy. I could see standing at the back of the queue that some of our supporters had kept their colours on and were being man-handled away and not let in. I had the shirt and scarf well hidden. But…. a couple of metres from the turnstile I could hear some Russian officials talking to supporters in English. If someone replied in English, they were lifted. I could feel the panic rising. Sure enough, it’s my turn and they ask me in English. I gave them a glaikit look and said the only 2 words I ever picked up - ’harasho’, followed by ’niet’. The guy probably tried to stop himself laughing and let me in. Inside the ground, the St Petersburg supporters were fine with me showing my colours. All behaved as gentlemen and commiserated at the final whistle. Handshakes all round.

Fair play to those hundred of thousands of our supporters to minimise any conflict. There was some, but that was minimal and due to some of the large park tv’s not working. It was a good hearted crowd walking back to the centre from the stadium. Everyone behaved and took the defeat well. All in all a brilliant experience. I’ll aim to be there next time, ticket or not.

Wish I hadn't been in Piccadilly Gardens to watch the match. Ended up watching the last 5 mins of the first half through the window of a pub near the railway station. Managed to sneak into a packed pub through the back door to watch the second half.

Up until them turning the screen off it was the most amazing couple of days. The whole of Manchester City centre was red, white and blue.

The pictures don't even do it justice. Trying to tell folk that weren't there how busy and amazing it was just doesn't cut it. I was fortunate to get a ticket and had it in a small freezer bag duct taped to my belly. Not nice getting it off at the turnstile but no way was that ticket getting from me. I hope tomorrow has some of the awesomeness.

Last edited:
The squares were mobbed so me and my dad headed up to the stadium and found our way to a pub in a dodgy looking scheme near the stadium. We met up with one of his work colleagues and his daughter there. Was a cracking day. Don't remember much about being in the stadium for the game and as with most I've never seen it again.

The old man gave me a couple of days of school to accompany him and, despite the result, its probably my fondest footballing memory.

Still haven't ever watched 1 minute of that game back.

I'm the same. Couldn't even tell you what the goals looked like. I remember Barry leading us oot then it gets blurry

Me and my bro rented an apartment in Manchester for two days - he lives in Blackpool, I'm Preston - the ball and chain could not get her head around it.:))
Great memories in Piccadilly gardens - does anyone remember the Zenit fan who got on the roof of the toilets and tried to run the length of them, he got showered in bottles, cans and fcuk knows what else - he made it half way.

What a day! Best atmosphere ever during the lead up to the game all over the City.

Women and kids standing at the bottom of their gardens selling beer and rolls, brilliant B-D .

I was on some shitty training area doing pre deployment training for Afghanistan. Managed to sneak away, find a pub and got an absolute bollocking the next day.
Still had a sore hand from punching the chimney brest in my new house (that I was supposed to be doing up) during an Old Firm game the month before.
First day in Theatre was day before the game against the Sheep, so got to watch that too :oops: - shit few weeks!

Great drive down leaving home around 3-3:30am. Services on the way down full of Bears. Sat in Manchester ring road traffic at 8am there was a car with a Celtic air freshener hanging from his mirror surrounded by Bears cars, some good banter followed, everyone laughing even the Tim.

Arrived into the NCP at Piccadilly around 8:30am , opened my car door to hear Bears in the street singing already, that didnt stop all day.

Incredible morning and afternoon with crowds just growing and growing.

Headed up to the stadium from 4pm, decided to walk. Locals out in their gardens wishing Bears well and a wee old woman offering out tea and biscuits. Russians standing around drinking voddy like water.

Leaving the game aside.. after.....

I mind passing a small chippy rammed with Bears singing "could ye go a chicken supper Boaby Sands"

Was a great trip outside of the game. Lucky enough to have a ticket for the game and had decided that I wasn't going to drink on the day of the game. I wanted to take everything in and remember it.

My favourite story I read on here, some punters couldn’t find a place to watch the game so some old dear let them sit in her living room and watch it :))

Did not have ticket,nor my sons,but my youngest drove us down,leaving in convoy from Ibrox,with stop off at Strathclyde Park.His car festooned with flags,balloons etc.
Stayed in a Welcome Inn and commuted to Piccadilly Square via the tram service.
Had a great night day before game,then on day of game as well as having a few cans my son had got us access to a club hired for the day of game,a great sing-song to say least.Luckily we were not in the Piccadilly area for game where the big screens got switched off,well Manchester had to make use of the riot police hidden up side streets.
Made our way back to our digs after game and only knew of trouble when we seen it on news next.
Sad result other than that a great trip for us.

I drove from Torquay, stayed overnight in the midlands with my brother, who had a broken leg, then took him and his eldest boy up to Manchester. What an amazing day. I got to meet and shake John Grieg’s hand before they set off to the game, then watched it in the team hotel lounge with Dr. Fox.( the DJ.) he was cheering us on, Nicki Chapman was getting harassed by some mad drunk bear, but nothing too heavy just general pestering.
I will also add that every bear in the square was superb with me and my nephew trying to get through the crowd. “Haud him tight pal, it’s murder in there” “Keep a good hold of him son.” as we squeezed our way through the madness.
Despite the result I thoroughly enjoyed.

We flew into Liverpool early that morning and drove a hired car up to Manchester, parked the car near the ground then went into the city centre to meet friends. Had a good day, and then up to the ground. I was lucky enough to have a ticket, but most of the match was a blank. I have never watched the game since, and can't even remember what their first goal was like. I can just about remember their second. didn't even see a hint a trouble apart from a few cops acting like hard men trying to start something that afternoon at Piccadilly. The first hint of bother was when we were driving back to Liverpool on the motorway and I put the radio on. I even had a wee disposable camera with me and it ended up in the bin without developing any photos. sometimes I wish I had and other times I am glad I didn't.

Me and my bro rented an apartment in Manchester for two days - he lives in Blackpool, I'm Preston - the ball and chain could not get her head around it.:))
Great memories in Piccadilly gardens - does anyone remember the Zenit fan who got on the roof of the toilets and tried to run the length of them, he got showered in bottles, cans and fcuk knows what else - he made it half way.
It was on you tube. Might still be there.

Was in Florida at the time and watched the game in the Fox and Hounds with my son. Couldn’t believe the numbers that were in the pub that day. Literally hundreds.
Will always remember after the game the number of well oiled BlueNoses (myself included) wandering about shopping malls with their families before going for dinner.
Had a good old sing song in the Olive Garden.

Fantastic experience, never seen so many bears together. Fantastic morning in Albert square, after the night before off the train and straight into Picadilly gardens.
Walked up to the ground mid afternoon. Great atmoshere outside and inside the ground.
Obviously the result was a let down , but even walking into the train station next morning and the whole concourse full of bears some still sleeping under flags was a sight to behold.

Back