On This Day (January 15th)

Sam English

1910 - Hamilton Accies 2 Rangers 3 (Hunter 3) - Scottish League Division One (8,000)
1916 - Dundee 2 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (10,000)
1921 - Hamilton Accies 0 Rangers 1 (A.L.Morton) - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1927 - Motherwell 1 Rangers 4 (Meiklejohn, Archibald, Fleming, Cunningham) - Scottish League Division One (32,000)
1938 - St.Mirren 1 Rangers 1 (J.Smith) - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1944 - Rangers 1 (Duncanson) St.Mirren 2 - Southern League (20,000)
1949 - Third Lanark 2 Rangers 1 (Thornton) - Scottish League Division One (35,000)
1964 - Rangers 0 Clyde 1 - Glasgow Cup Semi-Final (10,000)
1969 - DWS Amsterdam 0 Rangers 2 (Johnston, Henderson) - Inter Cities Fairs Cup 3rd Round 1st Leg (18,000)
Although DWS Amsterdam were relatively unknown outside Holland, they were sure to be treated with respect by Rangers,especially in light of the fact they had disposed of Chelsea in the previous round. Goals from Willie Johnston and Willie Henderson in the Olympic Stadium put Rangers firmly in control for the second leg.
1972 - Aberdeen 0 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (33,608)
1983 - Rangers 1 (McDonald) Kilmarnock 1 - Scottish Premier Division (11,223)
1994 - Dundee 1 Rangers 1 (Durie) - Scottish Premier Division (11,014)
1997 - Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 1 (Gascoigne) - Scottish Premier Division (15,662)
2002 - Berwick Rangers 0 Rangers 0 - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (4,280)
2005 - Rangers 3 (Thompson, Andrews, Rae) Dunfermline 0 - Scottish Premier League (48,055)
2006 - Motherwell 0 Rangers 1 (Lovenkrands) - Scottish Premier League (10,689)
2011 - Rangers 4 (Weiss 2,Whittaker Pen, Edu) Hamilton Accies 0 - Scottish Premier League (44,639)
2017 - RB Leipzig 4 Rangers 0 - Friendly (18,780)

1972 - My first ever trip to Pittodrie and got my Rangers hard hat confiscated by Aberdeen plod.

Bastards :(

1910 - Hamilton Accies 2 Rangers 3 (Hunter 3) - Scottish League Division One (8,000)
Willie Hunter, the Marco Negri of the day.
Was at Rangers for 4 years, but only played for 6 months.
Played 17 League Games, scored 19 Goals.
This was his 4th Hat Trick of the season, having scored all 5 in a 5-1 win v Hamilton back in October, followed by back to back Hat Tricks in November against Motherwell and Queens Park.
Remarkably, despite his playing career at Ibrox lasting just six months,
Willie Hunter is one of a very few Rangers Players who can claim Hat Tricks in different decades!

1994 - Our second late equaliser to rescue a point at Dens Park that season.

1969 - Was that Holland's 1974 WC goalie, Jongbloed (sp) in goals for DWS?
It was indeed, Jan Jongbloed played in 2 World Cup Finals, 74' v West Germany, and 78' v Argentina.
We faced some Goalkeepers that year in Europe.
I know you remember Angel Iribar (Atletico Bilbao), who was Spain's National goalie (64-76), and in the first round we faced Ilija Pantelic (Vojvodina) who was Yugoslavia's National Goalkeeper.
Apparantly, we made an attempt to sign Pantelic just prior to that game.
Even Newcastle had Iam McFall (that Penman penalty), in goal, who won 6 Caps for Northern Ireland, but was very much back up to the great Pat Jennings.

It was indeed, Jan Jongbloed played in 2 World Cup Finals, 74' v West Germany, and 78' v Argentina.
I know you remember Angel Iribar (Atletico Bilbao), who was Spain's National goalie (64-76), and in the first round we faced Ilija Pantelic (Vojvodina) who was Yugoslavia's National Goalkeeper.
Even Newcastle had Iam McFall (that Penman penalty), in goal, who won 6 Caps for Northern Ireland, but was very much back up to the great Pat Jennings.
FF at its best.

I was at the home game.

Do you know what I remember? His sideburns!

It's the same, I remember the Hibs goalie, Jim Herriot, in the early 70s, would put mud under his eyes in a night game. Apparently he thought it helped him see through the 'glaur'.

Just for You ;)

images

2002 - freezing night and poor game. Didn't think I'd be going back there for league games just over a decade later.

Replay was the next Monday between a Saturday and a midweek league game as well. 3 games in 5 days, are you listening Timmy?

The home game against DWS Amsterdam was the first midweek game my dad ever took me to.

When I tell folk that, I get the same reaction every time.

"Who the fùck are DWS Amsterdam"? :rolleyes:

Am I correct in saying Rob Rensenbrink, who hit the post in the 89th minute of 1978 World Cup Final, also appeared in this tie?

If I remember rightly, the game in 2011, was the first game they did the shoutouts at half time as well as the scoreboards cos I remember it as I was the first one as I turned 15 the day before

Am I correct in saying Rob Rensenbrink, who hit the post in the 89th minute of 1978 World Cup Final, also appeared in this tie?
He did indeed. I too was at game at Ibrox with my Dad. I recall their goalie played in what looked like a woolen polo neck jersey. Was at all the home games that year in Fairs cup, Dundalk, Vojvodina, Bilbao and Newcastle as well as DWS. Was in Broomloan Rd end when Andy Penman had his penalty saved by McFaul

He did indeed. I too was at game at Ibrox with my Dad. I recall their goalie played in what looked like a woolen polo neck jersey. Was at all the home games that year in Fairs cup, Dundalk, Vojvodina, Bilbao and Newcastle as well as DWS. Was in Broomloan Rd end when Andy Penman had his penalty saved by McFaul
You have brought back some great memories of 1968/69 Fairs Cup - Greig missing a penalty against Bilbao, Stein scoring two against Dundalk, Penman’s penalty save by McFaul, the defeat at St James’ Park.

A European trophy that should have been clinched.

Back