On This Day (January 16th)

Sam English

1886 - Port Glasgow 2 Rangers 3 (Heggie,McKenzie,Untraced) - Friendly
1904 - Rangers 3
(Mackie,Hamilton,Donaghy) Kilmarnock 0 - Scottish League Division One (4,000)
1915 - Morton 0 Rangers 1 (Reid) -Scottish League Division One (10,000)
1926 - Rangers 2 (Craig,Morton) Hearts 2 - Scottish League Division One (25,000)
1932 - Rangers 8 (English 3,McPhail 2,Fleming 2,Marshall) Brechin City 2 - Scottish Cup 1st Round (6,000)
1937 - Motherwell 1 Rangers 4 (Smith 2,McKillop,McPhail) - Scottish League Division One (22,000)
1943 - Clyde 1 Rangers 3 (Johnston 2,Venters) - Southern League (25,000)
1954 - Rangers 3 (Gardiner 2,Thornton) Airdrieonians 0 - Scottish League Division One (19,000)
1960 - Rangers 1 (Caldow Pen) Partick Thistle 1 - Scottish League Division One (40,000)
1965 - Airdrieonians 0 Rangers 4 (Wilson,Johnston,Caldow Pen,Forrest) - Scottish League Division One (18,000)
1971 - Rangers 1 (Greig) Dundee United 1 - Scottish League Division One (27,776)
1973 - Rangers 1 (A.MacDonald) Ajax Amsterdam 3 - European Super Cup 1st Leg (60,000)
This was the only European football Ibrox was to witness all season in season 1972-73,two ties with Ajax for the European Super Cup.The European Champions' Cup winners showed their pedigree,too,with a 60,000 crowd treated to a breathtaking display from the side that comprised the bulk of the Dutch national side.Ajax were worthy winners,but Rangers had played their part in a delightful game.The game was also part of Rangers' centenary celebrations,even though they had infact been formed in February 1872,with former player Andy Cunningham kicking the game off
1982 - Rangers 2 (Dalziel,Cooper) Dundee United 0 - Scottish Premier Division (23,000)
1988 - Hearts 1 Rangers 1 (Durrant Pen) - Scottish Premier Division (28,967)
2008 - Gretna 1 Rangers 2 (Ferguson,Cousin) - Scottish Premier League (Played at Fir Park,Motherwell) (6,137)
2010 - Hamilton Accies 0 Rangers 1 (Novo) - Scottish Premier League (5,343)
2016 - Rangers 4 (Waghorn 2 1pen, Wilson, Miller) Livingston 1 - Scottish Championship (42,906)

2008 - Gretna 1 Rangers 2 (Ferguson,Cousin) - Scottish Premier League (Played at Fir Park,Motherwell) (6,137)
was behind goal and we had full 3 stands, gretna had main and could only see a possible 20 of them

dire game and novo scored towards end?

2016 - Rangers 4 (Waghorn 2 1pen, Wilson, Miller) Livingston 1 - Scottish Championship (42,906)
4-0 up at ht?

was behind goal and we had full 3 stands, gretna had main and could only see a possible 20 of them

dire game and novo scored towards end?

4-0 up at ht?

Novo scored with around ten minutes to go

Great occasion apart from Ajax cheating us by passing to each other all the time :)
Was struck by how every time the man on the ball seemed to have two passing options. Would be interesting to see the passing & possessions stats as they are analysed these days.
Johan was imperious.
We did actually play well!

Who could forget big DJ's chip to get beyond the Ajax defence...

Great occasion apart from Ajax cheating us by passing to each other all the time :)
Was struck by how every time the man on the ball seemed to have two passing options. Would be interesting to see the passing & possessions stats as they are analysed these days.
Johan was imperious.

Still think this was the best football team I've ever seen in the flesh.

Who could forget big DJ's chip to get beyond the Ajax defence...

By the end of that season, Derek Johnstone collected a Scottish Cup winners medal, already had a League Cup winner's medal, a European Cup Winners Cup medal, had made over 100 appearances for Rangers, had been capped 5 times for Scotland, and graced the same field as such greats as Beckenbaur, Cruyff, Rivelino and Jairzhino...............and was still only a Teenager!!!!!!

By the end of that season, Derek Johnstone collected a Scottish Cup winners medal, already had a League Cup winner's medal, a European Cup Winners Cup medal, had made over 100 appearances for Rangers, had been capped 5 times for Scotland, and graced the same field as such greats as Beckenbaur, Cruyff, Rivelino and Jairzhino...............and was still only a Teenager!!!!!!

And scored the winning goal for Brazil at Hampden ;)

He had scored against Celtic in a League Cup final and a Scottish Cup final when he was still just 17!

He had scored against Celtic in a League Cup final and a Scottish Cup final when he was still just 17!
Yes, and after coming off the bench in the Scottish Cup Final to score a late equaliser, still found himself on the bench for the replay!

Johan was imperious.
)
Cruyff was the best player I ever watched in any game at Ibrox. I know many posters on here disagree about his ranking among world football greats but I place him second only to Pele in that category. It was a genuine privilege to see him play that night in our stadium.

)
Cruyff was the best player I ever watched in any game at Ibrox. I know many posters on here disagree about his ranking among world football greats but I place him second only to Pele in that category. It was a genuine privilege to see him play that night in our stadium.
Every thing he did was effortless.

Big Johnstone was one of the most complete footballers ever to wear the Rangers jersey.

that ajax 2 nd goal by cruyff was sublime,big derek must have run 5 yards past him before he realised johan had dragged thev ball back and inside allin one movement ,then just placed it in our goal, i was only a young child then but i realised that night at Ibrox i was watching something special,and my opinion has never changed on that ,they were something else that team

1971 ,our first home game since the loss of our 66 fellow fans

A sad day and a tough time for many.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/6ORWAV8"><a href="//imgur.com/a/6ORWAV8"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Latest posts

Back