On This Day (January 25th)

Sam English

1890 - Partick Thistle 0 Rangers 2 (D.Gow 2) - Friendly
1896 - Rangers 3
(A.Smith 2,Oswald) Dumbarton 1 - Scottish Cup 1st Round Replay (6,000)
1902 - Rangers 5 (Wilkie,A.Smith 2,Campbell,J.R.Hamilton) Caledonian 1 - Scottish Cup 2nd Round (5,000)
1908 - Falkirk 2 Rangers 2 (Livingstone,May) - Scottish Cup 1st Round (20,000)
1913 - Morton 0 Rangers 3 (Goodwin,Paterson,Reid) -Scottish League Division One (15,000)
1919 - Hibernian 1 Rangers 2 (Archibald,Gordon) -Scottish League Division One (12,000)
1930 - Rangers 3 (Archibald 2,McPhail) Aberdeen 1 -Scottish League Division One (45,000)
1941 - Albion Rovers 2 Rangers 7 (Smith 5,Beattie 2) - Scottish League Division One (7,000)
1947 - Rangers 2 (Duncanson,Thornton) Clyde 1 - Scottish Cup 1st Round (74,606)
1964 - Rangers 9 (Millar 4,Brand 3,McLean,Henderson) Duns 0 - Scottish Cup 2nd Round (17,350)
Rangers were on course for the treble,having already won the League Cup,topping the League and making steady progress in the Scottish Cup.Duns were not expected to pull off a shock,and four goals from Jimmy Millar,a hat-trick for Ralph Brand and single goals by George McLean and Willie Henderson swept the non-League club aside
1969 - Rangers 1 (Stein) Hibernian 0 - Scottish Cup 1st Round (58,141)
1975 - Aberdeen 1 Rangers 1 (Scott) - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (30,000)
1986 - Hearts 3 Rangers 2 (McCoist,Durrant) - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (27,442)
Defeat at Tynecastle effectively ended Rangers' season,for they had already been beaten in the League Cup and were too far behind in the League to stand any chance of troubling either Celtic or Hearts at the top of the table.Whilst Rangers seemed a club in decline,activity was already underway behind the scenes that would see Rangers rise to become the dominant force in Scottish football .Just two weeks prior to their cup exit,Rangers had effectively changed hands,with David Holmes joining the board,and by the end of the season Jock Wallace's second spell in charge was brought to an end,heralding the arrival of Graeme Souness
1997 - Rangers 2 (Anderson,Rozental) St.Johnstone 0 - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (45,037)
2000 - Sparta Rotterdam 0 Rangers 0 - Friendly (Official Inauguration of Stadion Eneco Redevelopment) (11,000)
2003 - Arbroath 0 Rangers 3 (B.Ferguson,Moore,Arveladze) - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (4,153)
2014 - Rangers 3 (Daly, Templeton, McCulloch Pen) Arbroath 2 - Scottish League One (41,207)
2016 - Morton 0 Rangers 2 (Miller, McKay) - Scottish Championship (5,778)

1986 Bobby Williamson missed one of the worst sitters I have ever seen when we were 2-1 up. I might have the wrong game about this, but did Colin McAdam play for Hearts that day?

1997 Rozenthal home debut, scores a goal, does his knee ligaments at same time.

1986, the year of enlightenment in Scottish Football, when it became an entirely different ballgame.

We should have been exalted, but instead, were vilified by the neanderthals and rhats who pollute this cesspool of a country.

1964 - Rangers 9 (Millar 4,Brand 3,McLean,Henderson) Duns 0 - Scottish Cup 2nd Round (17,350)
Rangers were on course for the treble,having already won the League Cup,topping the League and making steady progress in the Scottish Cup.Duns were not expected to pull off a shock,and four goals from Jimmy Millar,a hat-trick for Ralph Brand and single goals by George McLean and Willie Henderson swept the non-League club aside

The year of the Nines.

Three times in the calander year of 1964 we scored 9 goals in a game, in three different competitions.
August 15th League Cup...9-1 v St Johnstone (a)..Forrest (4) McLean (2) Brand (2) Baxter
September 26th Div 1....... 9-2 v Airdrie (h)...Forrest (3) Brand (3) Greig Wilson Baxter (pen)

2003 - Arbroath 0 Rangers 3 (B.Ferguson,Moore,Arveladze) - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (4,153)
2014 - Rangers 3 (Daly, Templeton, McCulloch Pen) Arbroath 2 - Scottish League One (41,207)

Same opponents - different circumstances

1986 Bobby Williamson missed one of the worst sitters I have ever seen when we were 2-1 up. I might have the wrong game about this, but did Colin McAdam play for Hearts that day?

Colin MacAdam came on as a sub for Sandy Clark that day, Sandy Jardine was also in the hearts team

1986.such a shame jocks 2nd stint didn't work out.
He inherited a disaster.proably just wasnt the same man as 1st time around(calibre of player )obviously had a lot to do with it

1964 - I was there that day with one of my primary school pals. Four years ago when I was down in the Borders with my wife we drove past a road sign for Duns. When I saw it I started to reminisce about the day we had played them. A few hours later we went into the wee museum in Coldstream which was doing an exhibition on the Scottish Cup as the draw for one of the early qualifying rounds was being made in the town. One of the exhibits on display was the match programme from that day at Ibrox. When I saw the names of our players, Baxter Henderson, Millar, Brand, etc it brought a wee tear to my eye.

1969 - we battered Hibs that day. It was literally wave after wave of attacks but we thought we'd never get the breakthrough. When we scored the place went as crazy as it does when we score against that other mob.

1986, could only get a ticket for the Hearts end after a fair session in the boozer. Hearts fans I was beside were sound as, even went for a few with them after the game. Changed days.

69, a great run after Hibs in the cup with Hearts away 2 nil and 6 -1 semi v Aberdeen ended with disastrous final.
Not helped with the six week ban for Colin Stein after Clyde league game.

Back