On This Day (January 25th)

Sam English

1890 - Partick Thistle 0 Rangers 2 (D.Gow 2) - Friendly
1896 - Rangers 3 (A.Smith 2,Oswald) Dumbarton 1 - Scottish Cup 1st Round Replay (6,000)
1902 - Rangers 5 (Wilkie,A.Smith 2,Campbell,J.R.Hamilton) Caledonian 1 - Scottish Cup 2nd Round (5,000)
1908 - Falkirk 2 Rangers 2 (Livingstone,May) - Scottish Cup 1st Round (20,000)
1913 - Morton 0 Rangers 3 (Goodwin,Paterson,Reid) -Scottish League Division One (15,000)
1919 - Hibernian 1 Rangers 2 (Archibald,Gordon) -Scottish League Division One (12,000)
1930 - Rangers 3 (Archibald 2,McPhail) Aberdeen 1 -Scottish League Division One (45,000)
1941 - Albion Rovers 2 Rangers 7 (Smith 5,Beattie 2) - Scottish League Division One (7,000)
1947 - Rangers 2 (Duncanson,Thornton) Clyde 1 - Scottish Cup 1st Round (74,606)
1964 - Rangers 9 (Millar 4,Brand 3,McLean,Henderson) Duns 0 - Scottish Cup 2nd Round (17,350)
Rangers were on course for the treble,having already won the League Cup,topping the League and making steady progress in the Scottish Cup.Duns were not expected to pull off a shock,and four goals from Jimmy Millar,a hat-trick for Ralph Brand and single goals by George McLean and Willie Henderson swept the non-League club aside
1969 - Rangers 1 (Stein) Hibernian 0 - Scottish Cup 1st Round (58,141)
1975 - Aberdeen 1 Rangers 1 (Scott) - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (30,000)
1986 - Hearts 3 Rangers 2 (McCoist,Durrant) - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (27,442)
Defeat at Tynecastle effectively ended Rangers' season,for they had already been beaten in the League Cup and were too far behind in the League to stand any chance of troubling either Celtic or Hearts at the top of the table.Whilst Rangers seemed a club in decline,activity was already underway behind the scenes that would see Rangers rise to become the dominant force in Scottish football .Just two weeks prior to their cup exit,Rangers had effectively changed hands,with David Holmes joining the board,and by the end of the season Jock Wallace's second spell in charge was brought to an end,heralding the arrival of Graeme Souness
1997 - Rangers 2 (Anderson,Rozental) St.Johnstone 0 - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (45,037)
2000 - Sparta Rotterdam 0 Rangers 0 - Friendly (Official Inauguration of Stadion Eneco Redevelopment) (11,000)
2003 - Arbroath 0 Rangers 3 (B.Ferguson,Moore,Arveladze) - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (4,153)
2014 - Rangers 3 (Daly, Templeton, McCulloch Pen) Arbroath 2 - Scottish League One (41,207)
2016 - Morton 0 Rangers 2 (Miller, McKay) - Scottish Championship (5,778)

1986 - This was a painful defeat at the time. As said, the Scottish Cup was our only hope of silverware that season and to be drawn away to Hearts, having their best season in decades, was difficult. We were 1-0 up at HT, went 2-1 down before Durrant equalised. Derek Ferguson was then sent off and John Robertson won the game for Hearts with 5 minutes to go. A sore one to take.

1997 - Rozenthal supposedly injured himself in the second minute of this game. He played on, scored and was taken off at HT. We didn't see him again for another year. His Rangers career was effectively over before it began.

1997 - Walter actually said on Clyde after the match that he expected Seb to be fit for the Hearts game the following week. We next saw him in February the following year where he lasted about three games before another 7 months out.

1964 - Back in the summer of 2016 I visited Coldstream with my wife. On our way down there we passed a road sign for Duns and I remarked to my wife that I had been at Ibrox on the day that Rangers had beat their team 9-0 in the Scottish Cup. During the day we went into the Coldstream museum and they were doing an exhibition on the Scottish Cup. Inside a glass case was the programme of that Rangers v Duns match. It brought back a lot of memories, especially when I saw the names of our players that day. As well as the listed players who scored, Slim Jim was on the park as well.

1969 - We absolutely pounded Hibs that day and the goal, when it came, was celebrated wildly by the Bears.

1969 Hibs was a great day and Stein scoring was a bonus as an ex HIVS player. The atmosphere was electric.

1986 Bobby Williamson missed one of the worst sitters I have ever seen not long before Hearts scored their winner. That was the kind of season and the kind of team we had then. We just kept finding ways to lose.

Back