On This Day (January 27th)

Sam English

1894 - St.Mirren 2 Rangers 2 (Boyd, Crawford OG) - Scottish League Division One
1900 - Rangers 12
(R.C.Hamilton 4,Wilkie 3,A.Smith,Robertson,Hyslop,Neil,Gibson) Maybole 0 - Scottish Cup 2nd Round (3,000)
Two years previously Rangers had scored 12 goals at exactly the same stage of the competition on their way to winning the cup,Then,just as today R.C.Hamilton had netted four of the goals.But this time round Rangers were to go no further than the semi-final,beaten by Celtic after a replay
1906 - Arthurlie 1 Rangers 7 (Speirs 3,McColl,Dalrymple 2,May) - Scottish Cup 1st Round (6,000)
1912 - Rangers 3 (Paterson 2,Reid) Stenhousemuir 1 - Scottish Cup 1st Round (7,500)
1917 - Rangers 2 (Blair Pen,Pursell) Hamilton Accies 1 - Scottish League Division One (8,000)
1934 - Dundee 0 Rangers 6 (Fleming 5,Smith) - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1945 - Albion Rovers 0 Rangers 4 (McCormack 2,Duncanson,Smith) - Scottish League Division One (6,000)
1951 - Rangers 2 (B.Simpson, Waddell) Queen of the South 0 - Scottish Cup 1st Round (40,000)
1962 - Rangers 6 (Millar 4,Brand 2) Arbroath 0 - Scottish Cup 2nd Round (31,908)
1968 - Rangers 3 (Greig 2,Johnston) Hamilton Accies 1 -Scottish Cup 1st Round (27,500)
1973 - Morton 1 Rangers 2 (A.MacDonald, Young) - Scottish League Division One (16,000)
1990 - Dunfermline Athletic 0 Rangers 1 (Stevens) - Scottish Premier Division (17,380)
1996 - Keith 1 Rangers 10 (I.Ferguson 3,Cleland 3,Durie Pen, D.Robertson, Miller, Mikhailichenko) Scottish Cup 3rd Round (Played at Pittodrie) (15,461)
When the Scottish Cup third round draw paired Keith of the Highland League with Premier League champions Rangers, it quickly became obvious that Keith's own ground, Kynoch Park, would not be able to accommodate all the fans eager to see this tie. The match was therefore switched to Pittodrie. A crowd of 14,000 were present to see Rangers totally outclass their opponents, sweeping in ten goals, with both Ian ferguson and Alex Clelend claiming hat-tricks.However, perhaps the biggest cheer of the day accompanied the goal scored by Keith, substitute garden scoring the historic goal
1999 - Dundee 0 Rangers 4 (C.Miller 2, Guivarc'h, Johansson) - Scottish Premier League (10,043)
2001 - Rangers 2 (A.Johnston, K.Miller) Brechin City 0 -Scottish Cup 3rd Round (22,606)
2007 - Rangers 0 Hearts 0 - Scottish Premier League (50,321)
2009 - Rangers 3 (Novo 2, Boyd) Falkirk 0 - League Cup Semi-Final (Played At Hampden Park) (24,507)
2010 - St.Mirren 0 Rangers 2 (Davis, Novo) Scottish Premier League (5,260)
2019 - Livingston 0 Rangers 3 (Jack, Kent, Morelos) - Scottish Premiership (9,028)

1990 someone was sent off that day I'm sure. Scott Nisbet?
1996 A wee bit one sided. Looking back, strange we never rested more players for it. The Cup priorities must have been different then. One of 15,000 who can say they saw an Alec Cleland hat trick!
1999 Midweek game where Tosh McKinlay took some hilarious terracing abuse. Probably fans would get arrested for it now.

1999 - Dundee 0 Rangers 4 (C.Miller 2, Guivarc'h, Johansson) - Scottish Premier League (10,043)
dont remember much of Miller in 98/99 season

2001 - Rangers 2 (A.Johnston, K.Miller) Brechin City 0 -Scottish Cup 3rd Round (22,606)
a strong brechin support and Albertz getting injured - summed up that entire season

2007 - Rangers 0 Hearts 0 - Scottish Premier League (50,321)
Smith return by this point?

2009 - Rangers 3 (Novo 2, Boyd) Falkirk 0 - League Cup Semi-Final (Played At Hampden Park) (24,507)
was there in west stand.

2010 - St.Mirren 0 Rangers 2 (Davis, Novo) Scottish Premier League (5,260)
was there dont recall much

2019 - Livingston 0 Rangers 3 (Jack, Kent, Morelos) - Scottish Premiership (9,028)
wore white away top, fans jumped on field when alfie scored

1917 - Rangers 2 (Blair Pen, Pursell) Hamilton Accies 1 - Scottish League Division One (8,000)

Pursell played 30 games this season, scoring his only goal.

1996 - I think we travelled up to that game with a near full 50 seater from Dunoon.

2019 - Amazingly that is the one and only game that I've ever seen us play Livingston, shocking pitch even though we won comfortably.

1968 - Rangers 3 (Greig 2,Johnston) Hamilton Accies 1 -Scottish Cup 1st Round (27,500)

My first ever game, me, my late Dad & his mate, West Enclosure. I was a 9 year old who was awestruck by everything I saw before me and to top it all off the Greatest Ranger & my all-time Rangers hero John Greig scores twice!

1996 - Keith 1 Rangers 10 (I.Ferguson 3,Cleland 3,Durie Pen, D.Robertson, Miller, Mikhailichenko) Scottish Cup 3rd Round (Played at Pittodrie) (15,461)
When the Scottish Cup third round draw paired Keith of the Highland League with Premier League champions Rangers, it quickly became obvious that Keith's own ground, Kynoch Park, would not be able to accommodate all the fans eager to see this tie. The match was therefore switched to Pittodrie. A crowd of 14,000 were present to see Rangers totally outclass their opponents, sweeping in ten goals, with both Ian ferguson and Alex Clelend claiming hat-tricks.However, perhaps the biggest cheer of the day accompanied the goal scored by Keith, substitute garden scoring the historic goal.

I wouldn't describe it as historic. I had a fiver on Rangers to win 10-0 at 40-1. We were in our local pub getting score updates and with a few minutes to go I opened my big mouth to say the drinks were on me at the final whistle if it stays at 10-0. So I go for a piss and hear an ironic cheer from the punters at the bar and come back out to hear that Keith had scored in the 89th minute......pisser!

1934 - Dundee 0 Rangers 6 (Fleming 5,Smith) - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
Having scored a record 9 Goals in a single match one week earlier, in the 14-2 win v Blairgowrie in the Scottish Cup, Jimmy Fleming kept his place in the side at Centre Forward, and added another 5 goals in what was a quite outstanding individual performance.
You have to understand that Jimmy Fleming was now more of a back up to the great Jimmy Smith.
Smith had already scored a staggering 30 Goals in just 22 Games prior to this match, and was fit again, forcing Mr Struth to put big Jimmy Smith on the Left Wing that day. Big Jimmy got the other goal on the day.
This win kept Rangers within 3 points of Motherwell with 2 games in hand.

A remarkable season in our history, when you consider we no longer had the services of Two of our Greatest players ever, with over 1000 appearances between the two of them.
Alan Morton had retired at the end of the previous season, and Sandy Archibald had finally been replaced by Bobby Main on the Right wing.

Rangers would go through the rest of the season undefeated, taking the League Championship with 4 points to spare (Our 7th Championship in 8 seasons).
We also won the Scottish Cup that season, defeating St Mirren 5-0 in the Final.
In addition to that famous Double, Rangers also beat the English Champions Arsenal 5-1 on aggregate, 2-0 (h) and 3-1 (a) in the British Championship.
We collected the Glasgow Cup, defeating Celtic, then Clyde in the Final, and also the Glasgow Merchant's Charity Cup, defeating Partick Thistle, then Celtic in the Final.

In the 45 games that it took to complete the double, Rangers scored 144 Goals.
If you add the BC, GC, CC, then we scored a total of 156 Goals, in 52 Games.
Jimmy Smith was top scorer with 49 Goals in 43 Games
Bob McPhail scored 25 Goals in 34 Games.
Our back up Centre Forward, Jimmy Fleming scored 28 Goals in 20 Games !
Those three (Smith, McPhail and Fleming) combined to score a total of 102 Goals in 97 Games between them.

Bobby Main, in his first season as a regular, finally replacing the great Sandy Archibald, who I believe still holds the record for the most League Appearances ever for Rangers.
As hard an act as Archibald was to replace, Bobby Main had an exceptional season,
scoring in all 3 Cup Finals that we won.

1951 - Rangers 2 (B.Simpson, Waddell) Queen of the South 0 - Scottish Cup 1st Round (40,000)
Following this win, Rangers were drawn at home to face Hibernian in the next round.
For the second time in ten months, Rangers would have a 100,000 plus attendance at Ibrox to face Hibernian

1971 - Scotland 2-1 Old Firm Select (in aid of the Ibrox disaster). Hampden Att. 81,405
.........Gemmill, Lorimer....HT 1-1..............Best
Willie Waddell and Jock Stein share a dugout, against Bobby Brown's Scotland.
It was reported as the most entertaining game at Hampden since Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt.
Guesting for the Old Firm was Peter Bonetti (Chelsea), George Best and Bobby Charlton (Man Utd)
Teams
Scotland
Cruikshank Hay Gemmell Stanton McKinnon (Craig) Moncur, Lorimer, Gemmill Stein O'Hare Cooke
Old Firm Select
Bonetti Jardine Greig Murdoch McNeil D.Smith Henderson Hughes Charlton Johnston Best

1971 - Scotland 2-1 Old Firm Select (in aid of the Ibrox disaster). Hampden Att. 81,405
.........Gemmill, Lorimer....HT 1-1..............Best
Willie Waddell and Jock Stein share a dugout, against Bobby Brown's Scotland.
It was reported as the most entertaining game at Hampden since Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt.
Guesting for the Old Firm was Peter Bonetti (Chelsea), George Best and Bobby Charlton (Man Utd)
Teams
Scotland
Cruikshank Hay Gemmell Stanton McKinnon (Craig) Moncur, Lorimer, Gemmill Stein O'Hare Cooke
Old Firm Select
Bonetti Jardine Greig Murdoch McNeil D.Smith Henderson Hughes Charlton Johnston Best
The one and only time I saw George Best live. When he scored a huge roar went up from the Rangers End.

The one and only time I saw George Best live. When he scored a huge roar went up from the Rangers End.
I seen him at Hampden, a couple of years earlier, in the Scotland v Northern Ireland game in what has to be the worst attended Home International game ever, when only 7,455 showed up in a torrential downpour, although the game being shown live on tv, got the blame for the low attendance.
The game ended 1-1, with Best scoring a wonderful goal that was chalked off, for what I do not know.

Having scored a record 9 Goals in a single match one week earlier, in the 14-2 win v Blairgowrie in the Scottish Cup, Jimmy Fleming kept his place in the side at Centre Forward, and added another 5 goals in what was a quite outstanding individual performance.
You have to understand that Jimmy Fleming was now more of a back up to the great Jimmy Smith.
Smith had already scored a staggering 30 Goals in just 22 Games prior to this match, and was fit again, forcing Mr Struth to put big Jimmy Smith on the Left Wing that day. Big Jimmy got the other goal on the day.
This win kept Rangers within 3 points of Motherwell with 2 games in hand.

A remarkable season in our history, when you consider we no longer had the services of Two of our Greatest players ever, with over 1000 appearances between the two of them.
Alan Morton had retired at the end of the previous season, and Sandy Archibald had finally been replaced by Bobby Main on the Right wing.

Rangers would go through the rest of the season undefeated, taking the League Championship with 4 points to spare (Our 7th Championship in 8 seasons).
We also won the Scottish Cup that season, defeating St Mirren 5-0 in the Final.
In addition to that famous Double, Rangers also beat the English Champions Arsenal 5-1 on aggregate, 2-0 (h) and 3-1 (a) in the British Championship.
We collected the Glasgow Cup, defeating Celtic, then Clyde in the Final, and also the Glasgow Merchant's Charity Cup, defeating Partick Thistle, then Celtic in the Final.

In the 45 games that it took to complete the double, Rangers scored 144 Goals.
If you add the BC, GC, CC, then we scored a total of 156 Goals, in 52 Games.
Jimmy Smith was top scorer with 49 Goals in 43 Games
Bob McPhail scored 25 Goals in 34 Games.
Our back up Centre Forward, Jimmy Fleming scored 28 Goals in 20 Games !
Those three (Smith, McPhail and Fleming) combined to score a total of 102 Goals in 97 Games between them.

Bobby Main, in his first season as a regular, finally replacing the great Sandy Archibald, who I believe still holds the record for the most League Appearances ever for Rangers.
As hard an act as Archibald was to replace, Bobby Main had an exceptional season,
scoring in all 3 Cup Finals that we won.
You beat me to Jimmy Fleming's two game record, sir.

You beat me to Jimmy Fleming's two game record, sir.
Incredible stat, that is unlikely to ever be bettered.
Jimmy Fleming played 5 games in 5 weeks in that period, and scored 20 Goals in those 5 Games.
Not bad for a back up Centre Forward!
Having said that, Jimmy Smith had scored 51 Goals in 37 Games, in the calendar year of 1933.
What a dilema for Mr Struth.
Jimmy Smith returns from injury, ready to play, and you have Jimmy Fleming who has just scored a record 9 goals in your last game.....what to do?
Mr Struth keeps Fleming at Centre Forward, and sticks big Jimmy on the left Wing, and Fleming scores 5 and Big Jimmy the other.
Next game up, is Third Lanark in the cup, and he keeps the same line up, and this time, Jimmy Smith, operating on the Left flank, scores a Hat Trick in the last 20 mins to give Rangers a 3-0 win.
Thereafter it is Fleming who gets stuck out on the wing.
Surprisingly, Jimmy Fleming who scored a total of 231 Goals in just 278 Games, scored a fair percentage of them goals whilst operating as an Outside Right/Left.
I reckon at least 100 of those 278 appearances were on the flanks, which makes his Goalscoring record even more incredible, and must surely put Jimmy Fleming up there in the argument of who the Greatest Goalscorer in Rangers history is.

1990 someone was sent off that day I'm sure. Scott Nisbet?
1996 A wee bit one sided. Looking back, strange we never rested more players for it. The Cup priorities must have been different then. One of 15,000 who can say they saw an Alec Cleland hat trick!
1999 Midweek game where Tosh McKinlay took some hilarious terracing abuse. Probably fans would get arrested for it now.
Don't think mckinlay was with Dundee then??

Back