On This Day (July 15th)

Sam English

1974 - Alfie Conn joined Spurs for £140,000 after nearly six years at Ibrox and having helped the club win the League Cup,Scottish Cup and European Cup-Winners Cup
1987 - Solothurn 1 Rangers 4 (McCoist,Roberts,N.Woods,Durrant) - Friendly (800)
2000 - HZW Hogeveen 1 Rangers 5 (Dodds 2,Albertz 2,Kanchelskis) - Friendly (3,000)
2001 - FC Kobenhavn 1 Rangers 1 (Nerlinger) - Friendly (10,484)
2007 - Lippstadt 2 Rangers 4 (McCulloch 2,Novo,Sebo) - Friendly (2,000)
Fifteen-year-old John Fleck made his Rangers debut, matching the age at which youngsters including Derek Ferguson had been given their first taste of first team action. He made his competitive debut the following year against East Stirlingshire.
2008 - The Rangers Ladies team was launched, ready to take its place in the Scottish Women's First Division. Formed as a result of a partnership with Paisley City Ladies, the side had former Ibrox youth coach Drew Todd at the helm and Jayne Somerville as its captain. Within three years Alana Marshall became the first player to be called up by the Scotland women's team when she was named in the squad to face France.
2014 - Ventura County Fusion 3 Rangers 1 (Mohsni) - Friendly (Played at Ventura, California)
Off the park, an over-excited public address announcer kicked off proceedings by welcoming Rangers, 'managed by the legendary Ally McCoist'. And thereafter, at every break in play, he read out commercials for, amongst others, a fast food outlet, a karaoke bar and a local sports emporium

2014 - Ventura County Fusion 3 Rangers 1 (Mohsni) - Friendly (Played at Ventura, California)
Off the park, an over-excited public address announcer kicked off proceedings by welcoming Rangers, 'managed by the legendary Ally McCoist'. And thereafter, at every break in play, he read out commercials for, amongst others, a fast food outlet, a karaoke bar and a local sports emporium

Banter, banter, banter o_O

1993: Rangers secure a deal to sign Duncan Ferguson from Dundee Utd for a British record £4 million.

1996: Rangers sign Jorg Albertz from Hamburg for £4 million. Joachim Bjorklund is also recruited from Vincenza for £1.7 million.

1998: Rangers secure the signature of Andrei Kanchelskis from Fiorentina at a cost of a Club record £5.5 million.

worst pre season ever, here there - USA - CANADA .....Surprised McCoist never played a friendly in the Falklands

1993: Rangers secure a deal to sign Duncan Ferguson from Dundee Utd for a British record £4 million.

1996: Rangers sign Jorg Albertz from Hamburg for £4 million. Joachim Bjorklund is also recruited from Vincenza for £1.7 million.

1998: Rangers secure the signature of Andrei Kanchelskis from Fiorentina at a cost of a Club record £5.5 million.

1993 - And it went South from there.

Who give's an 'F'?

Ferguson and Flo £16m spunked before wages.

Absolutely scandalous, from the charlatan who fritterd OUR money.

Flo was a vanity project and he was doomed to fail from the start. He was actually a very good player with a good goal record, but because of the transfer fee he was always going to be seen as a flop! Murray hated the fact they had just spent big on the likes of Sutton and needed to outdo them. When Tamudo fell threw Murray needed a £12m player, any £12m player - and because of the noises he was making in the media the selling clubs could all hike the prices. Flo was a £6m player at best, and would have been a huge success at that price. When your haggling in the transfer market you don’t declare how much you want to spend!

Flo was a vanity project and he was doomed to fail from the start. He was actually a very good player with a good goal record, but because of the transfer fee he was always going to be seen as a flop! Murray hated the fact they had just spent big on the likes of Sutton and needed to outdo them. When Tamudo fell threw Murray needed a £12m player, any £12m player - and because of the noises he was making in the media the selling clubs could all hike the prices. Flo was a £6m player at best, and would have been a huge success at that price. When your haggling in the transfer market you don’t declare how much you want to spend!

Add in (and I hate to say it (Ricksen) Flo and Konterman there was £20m wasted from July-Nov 2000.

It's astonishing we, as a support, allowed it.

The thing was Flo, was never the final part of any mythical jigsaw. I'm pretty sure we were out of the big time in Europe when we signed him.

It was never the player's fault, but the signing was a con.

Add in (and I hate to say it (Ricksen) Flo and Konterman there was £20m wasted from July-Nov 2000.

It's astonishing we, as a support, allowed it.

The thing was Flo, was never the final part of any mythical jigsaw. I'm pretty sure we were out of the big time in Europe when we signed him.

It was never the player's fault, but the signing was a con.

Speaking of Conns what was the script re Alfie? I can remember being mightily upset at the time of his departure. Was it a case of Wallace simply not fancying him or was it down to money?
My old man never really took to Alfie and was of the opinion that we'd be better off without him.
A very talented player in my view.

Speaking of Conns what was the script re Alfie? I can remember being mightily upset at the time of his departure. Was it a case of Wallace simply not fancying him or was it down to money?
My old man never really took to Alfie and was of the opinion that we'd be better off without him.
A very talented player in my view.

I'm from your/my generation.

You'll know as much as me. Derek Johnstone was a revelation. Derek Parlane, not so much for me. It would have been great to see Iain McDonald get to where he should have been for me.

Conn? To me had skill and against England at Wembley and for Spurs he looked a player. The guy that came back to the filth was washed up. But that's not how we looked at the scenario at the time,

I don't tend to get nostalgic about the early 70s.

For me growing up it was garbage.

What sustained me back then was my old man telling me about when he was a boy growing up and how it used to be, the way it should be and the way it will be again.

Back