On This Day (June 24th)

Sam English

1991 - Rangers paid a then Scottish record transfer fee of £2 million to bring Alexei Mikhailichenko, the Russian midfielder, in from Italian champions Sampdoria. He proved to be a worthwhile acquisition by the club during his time at Ibrox
2011 - Ibrox youngsters Kyle Hutton and Gregg Wilde risked incurring the wrath of the SFA when they expressed a desire to be part of Team GB for the 2012 Olympics. With Hampden chiefs adamant they wanted Scotland to play no part in providing players for the London games, the two Rangers starlets broke ranks to express their desire to push for a place in Stuart Pearce's squad for the gala occasion as the debate about the merits of a British select team raged on.

I really liked Mikhailichenko, and my memory of him is that he was a fans favourite as well.

Brilliant, some player he was that day wore tore them apart at the piggery new year’s game
I missed the first 2 goals that day. Bit of a stramash trying to get into that cesspit..remember the roar from the bears and news filtering down that we had scored, then the same about two minutes later!! Brilliant memories…

I missed the first 2 goals that day. Bit of a stramash trying to get into that cesspit..remember the roar from the bears and news filtering down that we had scored, then the same about two minutes later!! Brilliant memories…
Its one of my favourite games against them there, was it the last game ever to be played in the 1st Jan?
The atmosphere as you say was immense and there was a guy with an orange flare right next to us in the Janfield end, the whole end was bouncing

Seem to remember Miko getting done with some traffic violation and his plea was he couldn't speak English. Following Saturday we were at Tannadice and he got flagged offside and turned round and fired a volley of expletives at the linesman in perfectly understandable English :))

Back