On This Day (March 17th)

Sam English

1877 - Vale of Leven 1 Rangers 1 (McDougall OG) - Scottish Cup Final (Played At Hamilton Crescent,Partick) (12,000)
Rangers first ever appearance in the Scottish Cup final came just five years after their formation, a remarkable achievement. They had been helped by the draw throughout the competition,being on the receiving end of two byes (in the third round and semi-final) and were similarly fortunate in the final, McDougall scoring an own goal. A crowd of 12,000 (although this is sometimes given as 10,000) was a record figure, indicative of the growing popularity of Rangers within the game. Despite Vale of Leven having been made favourites to win, Rangers more than matched them on the day and fully earned their replay
1884 - Blackburn Rovers 4 Rangers 1 (Pringle) - Friendly (4,000)
1894 - Queen's Park 1 Rangers 4 (Boyd 2,Gray,Smellie OG) - Friendly (10,000)
1900 - Manchester City 0 Rangers 3 (Campbell,Hyslop,Wilkie) - Friendly
1906 - Partick Thistle 1 Rangers 1 (Speirs) - Scottish League Division One (8,000)
1917 - Falkirk 0 Rangers 2 (Cairns 2) - Scottish League Division One (5,000)
1928 - Hibernian 2 Rangers 1 (Archibald) - Scottish League Division One (18,000)
1934 - Rangers 2 (Nicholson,Fleming) Kilmarnock 2 - Scottish league Divsion One (7,000)
1945 - Albion Rovers 1 Rangers 3 (Venters 2,Gillick) - Southern League Cup Section A (9,000)
1948 - Alex MacDonald born in Glasgow. He began his professional career with St.Johnstone before switching to Ibrox for a fee of £50,000 in November 1968. After an initial struggle to win over the Rangers support, he became an integeral part of the Rangers side of the 1970's that won two domestic trebles. He left Ibrox in 1981, having made a total of 500 appearances for the Rangers, scoring 92 goals and was a member of the side that won the European Cup-Winners Cup in 1972
1951 - Morton 0 Rangers 2 (Marshall,Findlay) - Scottish League Division One (22,000)
1954 - Rangers 2 (Caldow Pen,Paton) Raith Rovers 2 - Scottish League Division One (12,000)
1956 - Hearts 1 Rangers 1 (Hubbard Pen) - Scottish League Division One (46,885)
1962 - Falkirk 1 Rangers 7 (Wilson 6,Scott) - Scottish League Division One (18,000)
1973 - Rangers 2 (Parlane Pen,Young) Airdrieonians 0 - Scottish Cup Quarter-Final (35,500)
1979 - Partick Thistle 0 Rangers 2 (Cooper,Urquhart) - Scottish Premier Division (18,865)
1982 - Morton 0 Rangers 0 - Scottish Premier Division (4,579)
1984 - Rangers 2 (McPherson,McClelland) Dundee 3 - Scottish Cup Quarter-Final Replay (25,000)
1987 - Dundee 0 Rangers 4 (McCoist 2,D.McPherson,Fleck) - Scottish Premier Division (18,723)
1990 - St.Mirren 0 Rangers 0 - Scottish Premier Division (16,129)
1991 - Celtic 2 Rangers 0 - Scottish Cup Quarter-Final (52,286)
What was always going to be a difficult cup-tie for Rangers was turned into something of a farce when three Rangers players,Mark Walters,Terry Hurlock and Mark Hateley were sent off,all for retaliation
1993 - Rangers 2 (Durrant,Nisbet) Club Brugge KV 1 - European Champions' League Group A (42,731)
After a some what lucky start in the mini league, Rangers had grown in stature with each passing game and Group A was effectively building up into a two-horse race between them and the French club Marseille. Rangers' victory over Brugge killed any chance the Belgians had of reaching the final and kept the pressure on Marseille, who won 6-0 against the Russians CSKA Moscow. Rangers' next match, away to Marseille, was going to be vital
1996 - Rangers 1 (McLaren) Celtic 1 - Scottish Premier Division (47,312)
2001 - Motherwell 1 Rangers 2 (Fernandez,Malcolm) - Scottish Premier League (11,208)
2002 - Rangers 4 (Caniggia 2,Flo,Ferguson pen) Ayr United 0 -Scottish League Cup Final (Played At Hampden Park) (50,076)
2007 - Rangers 3 (Boyd 3) Aberdeen 0 - Scottish Premier League (50,354)
2011 - Rangers 0 PSV Eindhoven 1 - Europa League Last 16 (35,373)
2012 - Dundee United 2 Rangers 1 (Rankin OG) - Scottish Premiership (9,464)
2014 - Albion Rovers 0 Rangers 2 (Aird, Daly) - Scottish Cup Quarter-final Replay (Played At New Douglas Park) (5,354)
2015 - Rangers 2 (Clark 2) Alloa Athletic 2 - Scottish Championship (28,902)
2018 - Rangers 0 Kilmarnock 1 - Scottish Premiership (49,396)

1984 we got 2 sent off, Redford and Prytz, which meant they both missed the League Cup Final v Celtic. That turned out okay!
1991 we got 3 sent off because Andrew Waddell was a Rangers hating cheating bàstard. Remains the worst referee I have ever seen. All 3 then missed going back to the piggery the following week.

1996 For some reason, the thing I most remember about that game was the silence before it for the children who died in Dunblane.
Think I got a bit of dirt in my eye during it.

1996 For some reason, the thing I most remember about that game was the silence before it for the children who died in Dunblane.

Was a really early kick off as well was it not ?

11am ? 11.30 ? We were definitely moved for the big game on Sky that day - Leeds v Everton.

Was a really early kick off as well was it not ?

11am ? 11.30 ? We were definitely moved for the big game on Sky that day - Leeds v Everton.

1.15pm kick-off for Sky that day

Leeds v Everton was the usual 4pm kick-off

Last edited:
1996 another one of those games against that shower, where we once again failed to nail those c@nts, our record especially at Ibrox during this period when they were mostly poor ,really wasnt what it should have been, far too often they were able to beat us or get a draw

17 March 2007

GERS CAN'T COMPARE WITH US

Dons have better players says Hart

By Ian Orr

MICHAEL HART insisted that Aberdeen have nothing to fear from Rangers today - because they have better players than their rivals for a Champions League place.

The 27-year-old defender's claim is certain to light the fuse on Scotland's most explosive fixture as the Dons bid to end a 16-year wait at Ibrox.

For the Pittodrie side must now back up Hart's boast by winning their first SPL match in Govan since 1991 to keep their Euro challenge alive.

He said: "I really don't fear Rangers at all because we have better players in key positions than they have.

"I would certainly have Jamie Smith before their wingers and I would also rather have Craig Brewster in the form he has shown since coming back from injury than any striker they can play.

"And I'm not going to name names but I would definitely prefer to have Russell Anderson on my side than their two centre-halves.

"When you look at it like that there are not many in the Rangers' team I would rather have in our line-up.

"That's not to say I don't respect them. They have quality in some positions and will be lifted by having Barry Ferguson back for this game.

I can't remember what Michael Hart looked like, or anyone he played for other than Aberdeen.

Just as well he gave that interview to keep his name alive.

Was that the day Scotland beat England at Murrayfield to win the Grand Slam? I remember the fans giving Terry Butcher a bit of stick about it.

1987 - We were very very good that night. The game was played in a howling gale too.
Big Butcher nearly destroyed the crossbar with a shot and I think Robert Fleck headed in the rebound - Gers played with the wind in the first half, the white strip with the half red half blue stripe on the front

My mate was killed in a car crash on the Monday night.

Dunblane was on on the Wednesday.

Losing a late goal to 10 man Celtic paled in to insignificance.

Back