On This Day (March 2nd)

Sam English

1889 - Rangers 4 (Wylie,W.Peacock,White,Untraced) Cambuslang 1 - Friendly
1895 - Hearts 1 Rangers 2
(Boyd,Untraced) - Friendly (3,000)
1901 - Rangers 2 (Sharp,RC Hamilton Pen) Hearts 2 - Inter-City League (2,000)
1907 - Motherwell 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (5,000)
1912 - Queen's Park 0 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (25,000)
1918 - Rangers 3 (Archibald 2,McCulloch) Kilmarnock 0 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1921 - Falkirk 0 Rangers 2 (Cairns,Cunningham Pen) - Scottish League Division One (9,000)
1929 - Rangers 3 (Marshall,Fleming,McPhail) Dundee United 1 - Scottish Cup Quarter-Final (49,000)
1935 - Falkirk 0 Rangers 3 (J.Smith,Venters,McPhail) - Scottish League Division One (15,000)
1940 - Rangers 2 (Venters Pen,Waddell) Alloa Athletic 2 - Scottish Emergency War Cup 1st Round 2nd Leg (8,000)
Rangers had already won the away leg 4-1 so the visit of Alloa attracted a small crowd of only 8,000 to Ibrox.A 2-2 gave Rangers a 6-3 aggregate win and passage into the next round where they would face Falkirk
1946 - Motherwell 0 Rangers 3 (J.Smith,Williamson,Gillick) - Southern League Cup Section B (20,000)
1957 - Hibernian 2 Rangers 3 (Murray 2,Morrison) - Scottish League Division One (40,000)
1968 - Rangers 6 (Ferguson 4 1Pen,Willoughby,Persson) St.Johnstone 2 - Scottish League Division One (35,000)
1974 - Hibernian 3 Rangers 1 (McLean) - Scottish League Division One (23,149)
1983 - Dundee 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish Premier Division (6,624)
1985 - Rangers 3 (McCoist 2,E.Ferguson) Dumbarton 1 - Scottish Premier Division (8,424)
1988 - Steaua Bucharest 2 Rangers 0 - European Champions' Cup Quarter-Final 1st Leg (33,000)
Since disposing of Gornik Zabrze in the previous round in November, Rangers' strike force had been decimated by the sales of Robert Fleck and Mark Falco and injury to the only other player,Ally McCoist.He made his return barely one week after a cartilage operation in this match in Burcharest but was painfully unfit,leaving Rangers to rely heavily on their defence.They held out reasonably well and were unfortunate to concede a second goal,but it left Rangers facing an uphill struggle against a side that had previously won the European Cup in 1986
1991 - Aberdeen 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish Premier Division (22,500)
2003 - Livingston 1 Rangers 2 (Amoruso,Arveladze) Scottish Premier League (10,004)
2005 - Hearts 1 Rangers 2 (Novo ,Ricksen Pen) - Scottish Premier League (13,842)
2011 - Celtic 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish Cup 5th Round Replay (57,847)
2013 - Rangers 3 (Little 2,McCulloch) East Stirlingshire 1 - Scottish Football League Division 3 (44,534)

2005 - Penalty to Rangers!

The treatment of Linesman Andy Davis afterwards was an absolute disgrace.

2005 - Penalty to Rangers!

The treatment of Linesman Andy Davis afterwards was an absolute disgrace.
Compare and contrast to reactions to recent Don Robertson decisions.

That scumbag Maguire / Martin should have been sacked immediately after his comments.

1991 was another reason why I’m taking nothing for granted until this title is mathematically secure. Rangers went on a run over March, April & May that saw dropped points in the league, a league and cup double header at the Piggery end in 2 defeats and 4(?) Rangers players sent off and ended with a final day of the season title decider.

2011 - I’ve never known a more toxic atmosphere after the match. Social media and specifically Facebook were in the hands of the masses by then and some of the comments being made, threats being made and general tone of social media that night was awful.
Folk who didn’t know each other threatening each other on the Facebook page of common friends. I pretty much stopped positing about football on Facebook after that, it was a night of lines being drawn.

And of course, Neil Lennon bang in the middle of it.

Last edited:
1991 was another reason why I’m taking nothing for granted until this title is mathematically secure. Rangers went on a spirit over March, April & May that saw dropped points in the league, a league and cup double header at the Piggery end in 2 defeats and 4(?) Rangers players sent off and ended with a final day of the season title decider.

2011 - I’ve never known a more toxic atmosphere after the match. Social media and specifically Facebook were in the hands of the masses by then and some of the comments being made, threats being made and general tone of social media that night was awful.
Folk who didn’t know each other threatening each other on the Facebook page of common friends. I pretty much stopped positing about football on Facebook after that, it was a night of lines being drawn.

2011. From my memory it was a rotten game of football as well.

Full game:

Highlights:

Post match chat with Nick Owen (!) and Andy Gray:

It was live on TV throughout the UK.

It was a 2 kick off I think.

I got day off school because it was my 9th birthday.

Shite score Steau really where a good side at the time

1991 was another reason why I’m taking nothing for granted until this title is mathematically secure. Rangers went on a spirit over March, April & May that saw dropped points in the league, a league and cup double header at the Piggery end in 2 defeats and 4(?) Rangers players sent off and ended with a final day of the season title decider.

Was at game in 2011, only old firm game i have been at i have seen lots of bother at.

Atmosphere was toxic as you say

What a night that was. John Rowbotham talks about this game in his after dinner speeches. Pretty funny.

Shocking game of football and one that we should never have been playing anyway.

2011 - Celtic 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish Cup 5th Round Replay (57,847)
shame game lol

Back