On This Day (May 8th)

1888 - I wonder if Renton's centre half James Kelly had been lured away to the fllth by this time, with the lure of a pub in the gallowgate?

As we all know, as an amatuer he couldn't go to the cesspit with money changing hands. The filth being a stickler for playing by the rules, as we all know.

Either way the sellik dynasties were starting to fall into place. And the sectariansim Hibs had brought into Scottish football was going to take a turn for the worse, quite substanially.

All round, a bit of a mixed bag of a day results wise.

Ugh, 2004 was that Sutton goal in injury time I’m sure, that meant we’d lost all 4 league games against them in a season for the first time since anyone could remember

Ugh, 2004 was that Sutton goal in injury time I’m sure, that meant we’d lost all 4 league games against them in a season for the first time since anyone could remember

03-04 and 05-06. We had some great success under eck but by fu.ck when it was shite it was really shite.

1943 - Rangers 1 (Gillick) Falkirk 1 - Southern League Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (18,900)
Rangers had won the Southern League Cup for the previous two years and were to retain it for a third time, for at the end of the game they beat Falkirk 11-3 on a corner count to lift the trophy.
This seems a very small attendance for the Final.:confused:
We had 60,000 at the Semi Final v Hamilton!

We played in all 6 Southern League Cup Finals, 1940-46 (plus one replay), and had huge attendances at most of the others.
69,000.......... 1-1 v Hearts 1941
90,428......... 4-2 v Hearts (Replay)
43,000..........1-0 v Morton 1943
63,000....... 0-0 v Hibs (6-5 on Corners to Hibs)1944 (90,000 v Celtic in the Semi Final).
69,879....... 2-1 v Motherwell 1945...(87,000 v Queens Park in the Semi Final)
135,000.......2-3 v Aberdeen 1946 ...(75,000 v Hearts in the Semi Final)

Last edited:
1971 - We blew it big time. The game should've been done and dusted by HT.
Absolutely correct. Willie Johnston missed an open goal very early in the game when unchallenged at the back post and the ball rolled under his foot. Then he was through one-on-one and the goalkeeper blocked it. Alex Miller broke his jaw early on and had concussion but played the full game. Alex told me some time later he remembered little or nothing about the game.

This seems a very small attendance for the Final.:confused:
We had 60,000 at the Semi Final v Hamilton!

We played in all 6 Southern League Cup Finals, 1940-46 (plus one replay), and had huge attendances at most of the others.
69,000.......... 1-1 v Hearts 1941
90,428......... 4-2 v Hearts (Replay)
43,000..........1-0 v Morton 1943
63,000....... 0-0 v Hibs (6-5 on Corners to Hibs)1944 (90,000 v Celtic in the Semi Final).
69,879....... 2-1 v Motherwell 1945...(87,000 v Queens Park in the Semi Final)
135,000.......2-3 v Aberdeen 1946 ...(75,000 v Aberdeen in the Semi Final)
You'd have to think that 87,000 v Queens Park would be their second highest att after the 95,000 in 1930.

You'd have to think that 87,000 v Queens Park would be their second highest att after the 95,000 in 1930.
Yes, amazing, and that 95,000 plus was a First Round Scottish Cup game in the middle of January.

I guess that means Queens Park hold the second biggest home attendance record for a Scottish club, by at least a couple of times.

Yes, amazing, and that 95,000 plus was a First Round Scottish Cup game in the middle of January.

I guess that means Queens Park hold the second biggest home attendance record for a Scottish club, by at least a couple of times.
I guess, you guess correctly.

These attendances must completely blow away the minds of the younger generations.

Just read a report from that 1945 Semi Final v Queens Park that attracted 87,000 to Hampden, and it was labelled "Jimmy Smith's Match".
'He scored a spellbinder of a goal, with incredible jugglery'
that was disallowed, as the ball came up and struck his hand, with no intention on his part.
The referee saw fit to disallow one of the greatest goals witnessed at Hampden.
Smith did score one that counted, and made the other two Goals on the day that were scored by Willie Waddell and Alex Venters, as Rangers ran out 3-0 winners

Apparently it was not the first time that Big Jimmy had scored such a goal
(a la Davie Cooper Dryborough Cup Final), as he had scored a similar type of keepie uppie cracker, on Rangers tour of Canada and America some 15 years earlier, and quite a few others with sleight of foot, that surprised the entire party, and convinced Bill Struth that he had found himself a new Centre Forward.
Jimmy Smith scored 18 Goals in 7 Games on that North American tour of 1930.

I always thought of Jimmy Smith as our great battering ram type of Centre Forward, so it is good to know that the Big Man had the ball juggling, and sleight of foot skills as that of a Davie Cooper. B-D

PS. We played Queens Park one week after that 87,000 Southern League Cup Semi Final, in the Charity Cup at Ibrox, beating them 1-0 in front of 12,000 fans!

Just read a report from that 1945 Semi Final v Queens Park that attracted 87,000 to Hampden, and it was labelled "Jimmy Smith's Match".
'He scored a spellbinder of a goal, with incredible jugglery'
that was disallowed, as the ball came up and struck his hand, with no intention on his part.
The referee saw fit to disallow one of the greatest goals witnessed at Hampden.
Smith did score one that counted, and made the other two Goals on the day that were scored by Willie Waddell and Alex Venters, as Rangers ran out 3-0 winners

Apparently it was not the first time that Big Jimmy had scored such a goal
(a la Davie Cooper Dryborough Cup Final), as he had scored a similar type of keepie uppie cracker, on Rangers tour of Canada and America some 15 years earlier, and quite a few others with sleight of foot, that surprised the entire party, and convinced Bill Struth that he had found himself a new Centre Forward.
Jimmy Smith scored 18 Goals in 7 Games on that North American tour of 1930.

I always thought of Jimmy Smith as our great battering ram type of Centre Forward, so it is good to know that the Big Man had the ball juggling, and sleight of foot skills as that of a Davie Cooper. B-D

PS. We played Queens Park one week after that 87,000 Southern League Cup Semi Final, in the Charity Cup at Ibrox, beating them 1-0 in front of 12,000 fans!
It's a strange one trying to decipher any meanings, rhyme or reason into some of the crowds back in the day. Money, I suppose being a prime part of the equation.

Season 1935/36 for instance. Just under 89,000 v Third Lanark in the final. Given the 25 year drought in this competition, part of you thinks that the club going for a third SC in succession for the first time in the 20th century would have had a lure and appeal all of its own.

Given the 43,00 and 41,000 odd crammed into Love St and Pittodrie for earlier ties it shows the appetite was there for the SC.

Which sort of proves my granda's assertion and summing up of why there was the record cup final crowd the following season for the filth v Aberdeen.

When I chinned him as to why he would have went to that game, he maintained that Glasgow, as a city, went bonkers and even neutrals were obsesssed by beating the record set just earlier that month with the 149,000 odd, for the Scotland v England game.

Back