On This Day (November 12th)

Sam English

1881 - Thornliebank 0 Rangers 2 (Hill,Untraced OG) - Scottish Cup 4th Round
1887 - Rangers 5 (Brand 4,Fraser) Third Lanark RV 0 - Friendly
1892 - Rangers 3 Abercorn 0 - Scottish League
This game was abandoned with Rangers winning 3-0 owing to bad light and replayed on 4th February with Rangers winning 4-3
1898 - Queen's Park 1 Rangers 0 - Glasgow Cup Final (Played at First Cathkin Park) (16,000)
1904 - St.Mirren 3 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One
1910 - Rangers 3 (Hogg 2,Reid) Kilmarnock 0 - Scottish League Division One (7,000)
1921 - Rangers 1 (Cairns) Dumbarton 1 - Scottish League Division One (16,000)
1927 - Rangers 4 (McMillan 2,Fleming,Cunningham) Hibernian 1 - Scottish League Division One (15,000)
1932 - Rangers 6 (Meiklejohn,English,McPhail,Marshall,Fleming,J.Smith) Morton 1 - Scottish League Division One
1938 - Hearts 1 Rangers 3 (Waddell,McPhail,Venters) - Scottish League Division One (38,592)
1949 - Rangers 1 (Johnson) St.Mirren 0 - Scottish League Division One (45,000)
1955 - Rangers 4 (Kichenbrand 2,Baird,B.Simpson) Hearts 1 - Scottish League Division One (51,000)
1960 - Rangers 4 (Millar 2,McMillan,Scott) Dundee United 0 - Scottish League Division One (25,000)
1966 - St.Johnstone 1 Rangers 1 (Forrest) - Scottish League Division One (12,500)
1969 - Gornik Zabrze 3 Rangers 1 (Persson) - European Cup-Winners Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg (72,000)
Davie White sent out his side to attack from the off,believing that Rangers stood more chance of winning the tie if they were to take the game to the Poles.He could not have been more wrong,for Rangers conceded two goals inside the first ten minutes and were left with an uphill struggle.After revising their tatics for the rest of the game,Rangers settled and did indeed score through Orjan Persson,but a further lapse in concentration two minutes from time meant another goal for Gornik and a 3-1 defeat.
1975 - Rangers 4 (Parlane,Johnstone,Jackson,A.MacDonald) Dundee United 1 - Scottish Premier Division (11,000)
1977 - Celtic 1 Rangers 1 (Johnstone) - Scottish Premier Division (57,000)
1983 - Aberdeen 3 Rangers 0 - Scottish Premier Division (22,771)
This was Jock Wallace's first game in charge since his return to Ibrox
1985 - Queen's Park 1 Rangers 2 (McCoist 2) - Glasgow Cup Semi-Final (1,724)
1988 - Celtic 3 Rangers 1 (Walters) - Scottish Premier Division (60,113)
2000 - Aberdeen 1 Rangers 2 (Miller,Mols) - Scottish Premier League (16,798)
2008 - Motherwell 0 Rangers 0 - Scottish Premier League (9,600)

1969 I'm sure this was played on a Wednesday afternoon,,we got a going over in the return leg as well,, a guy called lubanski tormented us that night

1969 I'm sure this was played on a Wednesday afternoon,,we got a going over in the return leg as well,, a guy called lubanski tormented us that night
Lubanski was a thorn in our side over the two games, scoring twice in the 1st leg and scoring again in the 2nd leg at Ibrox.

1969 - Gornik Zabrze 3 Rangers 1 (Persson) - European Cup-Winners Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg (72,000)
Davie White sent out his side to attack from the off,believing that Rangers stood more chance of winning the tie if they were to take the game to the Poles.He could not have been more wrong,for Rangers conceded two goals inside the first ten minutes and were left with an uphill struggle.After revising their tatics for the rest of the game,Rangers settled and did indeed score through Orjan Persson,but a further lapse in concentration two minutes from time meant another goal for Gornik and a 3-1 defeat.

2d8409u.jpg

2u9h7vl.jpg

30kvbpk.jpg

We had slaughtered them 5-1 the last time we played them and were top of the league and favourites to win at last at parkhead after 8 years there without a victory. We scored first then collapsed after Butcher scored a terrible own goal and I remember leaving the ground quite thankful they hadn't scored 5 themselves. We did win next time we went there later in the season.

We had slaughtered them 5-1 the last time we played them and were top of the league and favourites to win at last at parkhead after 8 years there without a victory. We scored first then collapsed after Butcher scored a terrible own goal and I remember leaving the ground quite thankful they hadn't scored 5 themselves. We did win next time we went there later in the season.

Was Bonni Ginzburg in goal for us that day?

Can't remember this one, did Mark McGhee score for the tinks?

Was Bonni Ginzburg in goal for us that day?

The only time I remember him playing there was a 1-1 draw just after we signed Mo Johnston. Ginzburg didn't play for us in 1988, think he signed just before that 1-1 game.

The only time I remember him playing there was a 1-1 draw just after we signed Mo Johnston. Ginzburg didn't play for us in 1988, think he signed just before that 1-1 game.

I was sure he played in a defeat there too mate. I remember The 1-1 game. It was our first point of the season iirc. We had lost at home to St Mirren (Woods got injured) then lost 2-0 away to Hibs. Ginzburg was in goal for that one so ties with what you are saying.

Edit - curiosity got the better of me so I looked it up. Woods was the keeper.

Back