On This Day (November 16th)

Sam English

1878 - Rangers 3 (Struthers 2,Dunlop) Vale of Leven 0 - Friendly
1889 - Rangers 2 (Henderson,Miller) Third Lanark RV 0 - Glasgow Cup Quarter-Final Replay (7,000)
1895 - Orion 2 Rangers 7 (Untraced) - Friendly
1901 - Rangers 1 (Robertson) Third Lanark RV 4 - Scottish League Division One (5,000)
1907 - Partick Thistle 1 Rangers 2 (Steven,RG Campbell) - Scottish League Division One (8,000)
1912 - Rangers 2 (Reid,Bowie) Third Lanark 1 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1918 - Airdrieonians 0 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (7,000)
1929 - Rangers 9 (Fleming 4,Archibald 2,Marshall 2,Brown) Ayr United 0 - Scottish League Division One (12,000)
The bid to equal the club record League win of 10-0 continued in the 1920's and it was Ayr United who was on the receiving end on this day, with Jimmy Fleming scoring four, while Sandy Archibald and Jimmy Marshall both grabbed doubles and George Brown adding to the goals tally. It may not have been a record, but it was another two points in the successful run to the First Division championship
1935 - Rangers 3 (Gillick,Fiddes,Venters) Hamilton Accies 1 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1940 - Rangers 5 (J.Smith 3,Bolt Pen,Johnston) Morton 4 - Southern League
1946 - Clyde 2 Rangers 4 (McNee,McColl,Duncanson,Thornton) - Scottish League Division One (27,000)
1957 - Rangers 2 (Baird 2) Clyde 0 - Scottish League Division One (65,000)
1963 - Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 1 (Brand Pen) - Scottish League Division One (27,624)
1966 - Rangers had made an approach to Eddie Turnbull,the Aberdeen manager,to become assistant to Scot Symon. The plan was for him to eventually become manager,in his own right,but Turnbull chose instead to remain with Aberdeen,a decision he later admitted to regretting. Rangers turned to Bobby Seith of Dundee for the post of trainer/coach,who accepted the offer and was duly appointed on this date. Of course,the subsequent cup defeat at Berwick and events thereafter placed enormous pressure on Symon ,and he was gone by November 1967,with Seith leaving the following day.
1968 - St.Mirren 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (43,500)
1970 - Rangers 1 (Johnstone) Moscow Dynamo 0 - Friendly (55,500)
1972 - European Cup-Winners Cup final hero Willie Johnston made a sharp exit after his starring role in Barcelona. Just six months after bagging a double in the famous win against Dynamo Moscow, the fiery attacker was sold to West Bromwich Albion for a fee in excess of £100,000. He was in the midst of a 67-day suspension when Baggies boss Don Howe made his move
1974 - Motherwell 0 Rangers 5 (Johnstone,Young,MacDonald,Parlane,McKean) - Scottish League Division One (19,409)
1977 - Dunfermline Athletic 1 Rangers 3 (Greig,Jardine Pen,Johnstone) - League Cup Quarter-Final 2nd Leg (8,274)
1985 - Hearts 3 Rangers 0 - Scottish Premier Division (23,083)
1988 - Rangers 3 (Gray.I.Ferguson,Drinkell) Hamilton Accies 1 - Scottish Premier Division (33,864)
1991 - Rangers 4 (Hateley 2,D.Robertson,McCoist) Airdrieonians 0 - Scottish Premier Division (36,934)
2002 - Aberdeen 2 Rangers 2 (Numan,Ferguson Pen) - Scottish Premier League (14,915)

1970 - Similar to Zenit in 2006. Played them in a friendly the season before meeting them in a European final. Unfortunately, not with the same outcome.

1985 - We'd beaten the Yahoos 3-0 the previous week. This was just typical of this era. Up one week and down the next. I actually remember reading a column by John Fairgrieve in the Sunday Mail the next day that expressed sympathy for the Rangers fans over this pathetic inconsistency that had plagued the club for years.

1968 - I was 6yo and can remember the utter shock on my first visit to Love St. I mean how could St Mirren beat Rangers?

I'll always remember the name of the goalscorer...Peter Kane.

1972 - A 67 day suspension and sold on. What happened?

I'm sure Bud scudded a Partick Thistle defender after being kicked up and down the wing and got sent off.

Wallace offered him a five year deal around that time and he rejected it and said he needed out of Scotland

I'm sure Bud scudded a Partick Thistle defender after being kicked up and down the wing and got sent off.

Wallace offered him a five year deal around that time and he rejected it and said he needed out of Scotland

Seems a very excessive ban, sign of the times with rules? I suppose off the back of a kicking (in footballing terms) and lengthy ban he must've felt a move was the better option.

Seems a very excessive ban, sign of the times with rules? I suppose off the back of a kicking (in footballing terms) and lengthy ban he must've felt a move was the better option.
Think it was a case of Bud's poor disciplinary record which lead to the long suspension.

Fantastic winger but very fiery character

If I remember correctly, he was given a 9 week ban for his latest Sending Off, and pretty much warned that his next one could result in a Sine Die, hence the reason both he and Colin Stein moved to England.

Alex Forsyth was the Thistle player, later with Man Utd then Rangers for season 78/79

1912 - Rangers 2 (Reid,Bowie) Third Lanark 1 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)

Jimmy Bowie scoring for Rangers again

He got sent off in the first half in that game against Thistle, which we still won. My memory of the game was that Johnston's action on the Thistle player came from nowhere. It had not been a particularly dirty game and he just seemed to blow up, as he became prone to doing as he got older. I liked Bud as a player but at that point in his career his temperament seemed to alter and although I was sorry to see him leave I also think it was in his and the club's best interests.

1968 - a game I will never forget. A very cold foggy day at Love Street with the spectators struggling to see the game. We were chanting for the lights to be switched on early but the referee would not have it, which was nonsense. St Mirren's goal was scored by the late Hughie Gilshan who came from Barrhead.

1970 : drab game only lit by a goal from close in by big Derek.

1977 : I think this game was just after big Greig had been awarded his MBE. Only two points of note about the game. Firstly, chanting John Greig MBE, John Greig MBE ... as the teams ran out. Secondly, a verbal bust up on the park between Tom Forsyth and, I think, Derek Johnstone after a mix up in our defence. Seem to remember some of their team mates had to separate them.

He got sent off in the first half in that game against Thistle, which we still won. My memory of the game was that Johnston's action on the Thistle player came from nowhere. It had not been a particularly dirty game and he just seemed to blow up, as he became prone to doing as he got older. I liked Bud as a player but at that point in his career his temperament seemed to alter and although I was sorry to see him leave I also think it was in his and the club's best interests.

Don't think it was the first half he got sent off, Johnston scored the winner in the 69th minute.

Not sure if he was getting some stick from the fans at that time or not, but the week previous, we had lost 1-2 at Ayr Utd (Johnston scored for us), and Wee Bud made a gesture to the Rangers fans.

When he was in the mood he was a fantastic player

I think there's a case to say Willie Johnston is the best Rangers player with over 50 appearances never to win a league championship medal.

1968 - a game I will never forget. A very cold foggy day at Love Street with the spectators struggling to see the game. We were chanting for the lights to be switched on early but the referee would not have it, which was nonsense. St Mirren's goal was scored by the late Hughie Gilshan who came from Barrhead.
I was sure it was Peter Kane.
To be fair I was only 6!

If I remember correctly, he was given a 9 week ban for his latest Sending Off, and pretty much warned that his next one could result in a Sine Die, hence the reason both he and Colin Stein moved to England.
It was a ridiculously long ban and it chased him out of Scotland. The SFA have been consistent in their treatment of Rangers players ever since.

Back