On This Day (November 1st)

Sam English

1879 - Third Lanark RV 1 Rangers 1 (McNeil) - Friendly
1880 - Blackburn Rovers 0 Rangers 0 - Friendly
1890 - Third Lanark RV 3 Rangers 3 (Wylie 2,J.McPherson) - Glasgow Cup Quarter-Final (15,000)
1902 - Rangers 2 (Mackie 2) Third Lanark RV 0 - Scottish League Division One (12,000)
1913 - Raith Rovers 0 Rangers 3 (Bennett,Reid,Duncan) - Scottish League Division One (14,000)
1919 - Rangers 6 (Cunningham 3,Cairns,Paterson,McCormack OG) Third Lanark 1 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1924 - Rangers 4 (Craig,Cunningham,Henderson,Chalmers) Partick Thistle 0 - Scottish League Division One (25,000)
1930 - Rangers 4 (Fleming,Morton,McGowan,McPhail) Aberdeen 0 - Scottish League Division One (12,000)
1941 - Morton 2 Rangers 1 (McKillop) - Southern League (9,000)
1942 - Word reached home of a rather unique football competition that had been held in a prisoner of war camp in Germany,the inmates had organised a league of 14 teams,all of whom adopted the name of either an English or Scottish First Division club and which was won by 'Rangers' !
1947 - Rangers 3 (Thornton,Shaw Pen,Marshall) Airdrieonians 0 - Scottish League Division One (15,000)
1952 - Rangers 3 (Liddell,B.Simpson,Paton) Queen of the South 1 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1958 - Rangers 4 (B.Simpson 4) Hibernian 0 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1967 - Rangers parted company with Scott Symon, their manager since 1954 (even though Rangers were top of the League and still unbeaten),although in a way that did not reflect kindly on a club of Rangers' stature. Chairman John Lawrence sent a business associate, who had no connection with Rangers,to discuss the situation at the club,a request which, not surprisingly,Symon refused and instead handed in his resignation.It might have been expected for Symon to have been offered a seat on the board,just had his predecessors had been,but Symon left the club and subsequently served as a director at Dumbarton and later manager at Partick Thistle.
There is no doubt that Symon's spell at Rangers was a success - six League titles, five Scottish Cups and four League Cups were won, and the club reached the final of the European Cup-Winners Cup twice.Ultimately,Symon paid the price for two matches, one of which he might have been able to influence, the other he couldn't; Rangers defeat at Berwick in the Cup,coming in the same year Celtic won the European Cup proved too much for some at Rangers. Following Symon's departure, assistant David White took control.
1969 - Rangers 3 (Penman 2 1Pen,Johnston) Dundee 1 - Scottish League Division One (30,000)
1972 - St.Johnstone 0 Rangers 2 (Young,Parlane Pen) - League Cup Quarter-Final 2nd Leg (12,300)
1975 - Celtic 1 Rangers 1 (Parlane) - Scottish Premier Division (60,000)
1978 - PSV Eindhoven 2 Rangers 3 (MacDonald, Johnstone, Russell) - European Champions' Cup 2nd Round 2nd Leg (29,000)
A goalless draw in the first leg at Ibrox left Rangers with a mountain to climb in the second leg, for PSV had never before lost at home in European competition. The Dutch scored in the first minute (Rangers seemed to forever make life difficult for themselves by conceding early goals) before Rangers had got into their stride, but the rest of the first was evenly matched. Rangers stepped up the pace in the second half, coming from behind twice to level the tie and put themselves in the driving seat should away goals be required,but a final goal three minutes from time won them the game. In truth, it was a goal worthy of winning the final itself; neat play bewteen Gordon Smith and Tommy McLean found Bobby Russell behind the Dutch defence and his curling shot evaded the goalkeeper.The goal eventually won Goal of The Year from the BBC,
1980 - Rangers 3 (McAdam 2,J.McDonald) Celtic 0 - Scottish Premier Division (35,000)
1986 - Celtic 1 Rangers 1 (McCoist) - Scottish Premier Division (60,000)
1988 - Rangers 3 (Gough, Walters Pen, A.Gray) Hearts 0 - Scottish Premier Division (36,505)
1994 - Huntly 2 Rangers 5 (McCoist 3,Huistra,McGinty) - Friendly (3,500)
Rangers provided the opposition for the official inauguration of the floodlights at Huntly,sending a particularly strong side North,watched by a crowd of 3,500
1995 - Rangers 0 Juventus 4 - European Champions League Group C (42,523)
Even if Rangers didn't deserve to lose by four goals, there was no denying Juventus were the better side on the night.Indeed,perhaps the finest European side of the era,as victory over Ajax in the final would prove.Despite the two defeats against Juventus, the change, once again, in the competition meant Rangers still had a chance of qualifying for the semi-finals,but they needed good results in their two final matches
1997 - Rangers 4 (Negri 3 1Pen,Porrini) Kilmarnock 1 - Scottish Premier Division (49,413)
2001 - Dynamo Moscow 1 Rangers 4 (R.de Boer, Ferguson, Flo, Lovenkrands) - UEFA Cup 2nd Round 2nd Leg (6,000)
2003 - Rangers 3 (Arteta 2 1pen,Mols) Partick Thistle 1 - Scottish Premier League (49,551)
2005 - Artmedia Bratislava 2 Rangers 2 (Prso, Thompson) - European Champions League Group H (6,527)
Rangers paid the price for some shoddy defending as they twice surrendered the lead and had to settle for a draw. Dado Prso headed Rangers in front early on but Balazs Borbely levelled after Rangers failed to clear a corner. Steven Thompson's header put Rangers ahead again but a mix-up between Ronald Waterreus and Brahim Hemdani gifted the equaliser to Jan Kozak. Peter Lovenkrands then missed an open goal with a header as Rangers pressed for the winner.
2008 - Rangers 5 (Boyd 3 1Pen, Novo, Miller) Inverness C.T. 0 - Scottish Premier League (49,255)
2009 - Dundee United 0 Rangers 1 (Davis) - (Match Abandoned After 45 Minutes Due To Waterlogged Pitch) - Scottish Premier League
2013 - Rangers 3 (Daly 2,Templeton) Airdrieonians 0 - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (22,533)
2014 - Dumbarton 0 Rangers 1 (Boyd) - Scottish Cup 3rd Round (1,878)
2015 - Hibernian 2 Rangers 1 (McGregor OG) - Scottish Championship (14,412)
Rangers fell to their first defeat of the season in the Championship at the hands of Hibernian. The second placed club scored either side of an own goal scored by former Ranger Darren McGregor. The result meant that Hibs moved to within five points of the Light Blues at the top of the table.

1978-what a win that was,kenny Watson thunderbolt off DJ’s napper.
1980-can remember Doyle not taking the Gubbing well.
Seems like Scott Symon was maybe sacked prematurely,anyone shed any light on this as i was too young back then to remember.

2001 - Lovenkrands first goal for us

2005 - A game we really should have won. Must be our quickest ever Champions League goal, Dado scored after a couple of minutes

1978-what a win that was,kenny Watson thunderbolt off DJ’s napper.
1980-can remember Doyle not taking the Gubbing well.
Seems like Scott Symon was maybe sacked prematurely,anyone shed any light on this as i was too young back then to remember.
Symon paid the price for Celtic's success.
He was an "old school" manager at a time when the track suit manager was beginning to emerge. It was probably the right time for a change. The manner of his dismissal was absolutely shocking though.

Symon paid the price for Celtic's success.
He was an "old school" manager at a time when the track suit manager was beginning to emerge. It was probably the right time for a change. The manner of his dismissal was absolutely shocking though.
Cheers mate

1967 - Quite a pivotal day for Rangers, Symon certainly seems to have been hard done by.

Seems we didn’t %^*& about back then. The way Willie Henderson was treated by the Club, a few years later, was pretty poor as well. Not sure if that was more to do with Willie Waddell mind you?

1967 - There was considerable public anger against the club for how it handled the sacking of Symon. An accountant, not a board member, was sent to Symon's house to discuss a financial package for him and informed him he'd been sacked. It was no way for the club to do business.

Celtic were in Argentina for the World Club Championship and this must have been another painful reminder for the board that the club was playing second fiddle to Celtic. As said above, Berwick and Celtic winning in Lisbon - and us losing in Germany - did for Symon.

This was the supporter reaction printed in the Evening Times of November 1, 1967.

Charles Kearney (55) of 37 Castle Avenue, Holytown - "I don't know why he is being sacked. He was a good man for Rangers both as a player and a manager. I hope his sacking has nothing to do with recent trouble over rowdy supporters."

Joseph Robertson (56) of Craigton Road, Ibrox, a GPO worker - "I think Rangers are right. What they need is young blood in the management of the club. Scot Symon has had a good spell."

Willie Hunter (61) of 176 Earl Street, Scotstoun , a B.R. ticket collector - "This is a bad thing. Scot Symon has been a good servant to the club. I don't know why they have sacked him. Maybe it's because Rangers haven't been getting the results this year. They haven't been making as much money as Celtic under Jock Stein. A young man for the job is what's needed."

Charles Spiers, a Rangers supporter of 321 Corkerhill Road, Halfway - "I'm very surprised by the sacking especially with Rangers at the top of the league. I saw Symon play as a young man - and no one played harder. But whether his buying and selling policy has been successful is another matter. But he cannot be held wholly to blame for that - the board must take part of the blame."

John Cassidy (24) of Gourlay Street, Springburn, Glasgow, a taxi driver - "This is the best thing that could have happened. They need a change in management but I never thought this would happen. Maybe they will waken their ideas up."

James Fearnie, 54 Earlston Avenue, Townhead - a 34-year-old labourer - "I've been a Rangers fan since knee high but I cannot bring myself to blame Scot Symon for this year's results. It is at the top there should be wholesale sackings. Perhaps his sacking stems from the incident on Saturday when Willoughby was pulled out of the game and replaced. This was action was resented by a large body of supporters because Willoughby was the most successful forward of the day."

Bill Ross (41) an electrician, of Crusader Crescent, Stewarton, Ayrshire - "I never thought Scot Symon would be sacked. If there are any changes to be made at Ibrox they should start at the top. I've been a Rangers supporters for years and Scot Symon has always impressed me as a manager."

Benny Maclean (32), a self-confessed rabid Celtic supporter, of Inchrory Place, Drumchapel - "This is astonishing. Scot Symon's record speaks for itself. With him as manager, Rangers have won all the honours. Perhaps Rangers are having a sticky spell at the moment, but Celtic had 20 years of such a spell and did not resort to this type of sacking."

1967 : Scot Symon’s dismissal was a shameful act by John Lawrence and reflected badly on both him and the Club. Scot Symon may have been old school and his style of management was being swept away by the likes of Stein but it was a shocking way to treat a fine servant to Rangers.

1978 : one of the great European nights. I was so proud of Rangers as we walked out the ground that night. The bus trip back to Amsterdam was “eventful”.

1980 : The Beast caused all sorts of problems for the Celtic defence that day.

2009 : this was the game when it was announced over the tannoy we were to keep our ticket stubs for the replayed game. Clearly heard as we were leaving. Whatever good relations we previously had with DU evaporated in the aftermath.

2005 - Was watching this game at home with my then 3 month old daughter lying on me sleeping. Well she was until Prso scored in the 3rd minute.

1995 - Rangers 0 Juventus 4 - European Champions League Group C (42,523)

That Juventus team was spectacular. They also has Angelo Peruzzi who was my favourite goalie at the time

I'm sure they had Porrini at that time too?

Still cannot believe some Rangers fans attended the game when the club itself officially boycotted tickets.
Not that game that was in 2013

When the game was rearranged in December 2009 Rangers never advertised they had tickets around 1000 attended with sales split between our ticket office and Dundee United selling direct

Not that game that was in 2013

When the game was rearranged in December 2009 Rangers never advertised they had tickets around 1000 attended with sales split between our ticket office and Dundee United selling direct
Yes but was the boycott of the game in 2013 not as a result of charging fans for the rearranged game from 2009? Hard to keep up with all we have been through.

Yes but was the boycott of the game in 2013 not as a result of charging fans for the rearranged game from 2009? Hard to keep up with all we have been through.

More to do with the events of 2012 and comments thereafter

We played Dundee United a few times after 2009 and not once did our allocation fail to sell out IRC

More to do with the events of 2012 and comments thereafter

We played Dundee United a few times after 2009 and not once did our allocation fail to sell out IRC

Correct. There was actually a big turn out of Bears a for the rearranged fixture. Surprised that it’s only given as 1000

The re-arranged game had a small Gers support. I remember the Arabs were rabid thinking hey were turning up to a humping - little did they know it was for them!

The re-arranged game had a small Gers support. I remember the Arabs were rabid thinking hey were turning up to a humping - little did they know it was for them!
3/4 - 0 with Beaseley scoring from the side of the box if I recall?

I would have our fastest CL goal as either Miller v Monaco or Menses v Unirea though.

1995 - some stark comparisons in professionalism that night. We had Charlie Miller running around the pitch sporting a black eye that he had copped in a fight in a chip shop on the previous weekend. They had Del Pierro. Enough said.

1942 first I've heard of this , kinda like Rangers winning WW2. Just when you think you know all about the Gers , some thing like this pops up.....:rolleyes:

Back