On This Day (November 23rd)

Sam English

1878 - Rangers 6 (Dunlop,Untraced) Govan 1 - Friendly
1889 - Rangers 0 Queen's Park 2- Glasgow Cup Semi-Final (10,000)
1895 - Rangers 4 (Oswald 2,Barker,J.McPherson) Hibernian 0 - Scottish League Division One (6,000)
1901 - Rangers 2 Dundee 1 - Scottish League Division One (Match Abandoned After 83 Minutes Due To Fog) (2,000)
After 83 minutes a thick fog descended upon the pitch and forced the game to be abandoned.It was replayed on 29th March,with Rangers winning 3-1.The original game drew a crowd of only 2,000,the replay,by which time Rangers were champions,attracted 13,000
1907 - Rangers 1 (RG Campbell) Hibernian 1 - Scottish League Division One (11,000)
1912 - Rangers 2 (Paterson,Reid,Bowie) Clyde 1 - Scottish League Division One (18,000)
Injuries and a fixture pile-up had so decimated Rangers that they were forced to make almost regular raids on the transfer market in order to put out anything approaching a decent side.By the time of this match against Clyde,all three of the club's goalkeepers (Lock,Hempsey and Farrington) were out injured,requiring RG Campbell to take his place between the sticks - he was more normally found at full-back ! Protected by what remained of the defence and with the strike force in sparkling form,Rangers managed to win 3-1
1918 - Morton 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (10,000)
1929 - Clyde 3 Rangers 3 (Brown,Morton Pen,Fleming) - Scottish League Division One (25,000)
1935 - Aberdeen 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (34,500)
1940 - Rangers 4 (J.Smith 2,Thornton,venters) Falkirk 0 - Southern League (10,000)
1946 - Rangers 2 (Thornton,Gillick) Queen of the South 0 - Scottish League Division One (10,000)
1957 - Falkirk 0 Rangers 4 (Hubbard 4 2Pens) - Scottish League Division One (22,000)
1961 - Rangers 4 (McMillan 2,Henderson,Kalinke OG) ASK Vorwaerts Berlin 1 - European Champions' Cup 2nd Round 2nd Leg (Played in Malmo,Sweden) (1,781)
The replayed second leg match attracted a crowd of just 1,781,most of them Rangers fans who had travelled over from Glasgow and stayed on when the match had been abandoned the previous day.A 4-1 win for Rangers gave them a 6-2 aggregate win.
1963 - Dunfermline Athletic 1 Rangers 4 (C.Watson 2,Henderson,Forrest) - Scottish League Division One (21,000)
1966 - Rangers 2 (Johansen,A.Smith) Borussia Dortmund 1 - European Cup-Winners Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg (65,000)
1968 - Clyde 1 Rangers 1 (Stein) - Scottish League Division One (25,000)
1974 - Rangers 0 Hibernian 1 - Scottish League Division One (31,500)
1985 - Dundee 3 Rangers 2 (McCoist 2) - Scottish Premier Division (10,798)
1991 - Rangers 0 St.Mirren 1 - Scottish Premier Division (36,272)
2000 - A record that could take decades to beat was established at Ibrox as Tore Andre Flo put pen to paper on his £12m transfer from Chelsea to Rangers. In a deal that would surely make the accountants wince, the Norwegian striker joined Dick Advocaat's blue revolution
2002 - Rangers 3 (McCann,Mols,Arveladze) Dunfermline Athletic 0 - Scottish Premier League (48,431)
2005 - FC Porto 1 Rangers 1 (McCormack) European Champions League Group H (48,000)
Rangers' young guns breathed new life into their side's Champions League hopes with a draw against the odds in Oporto.Lisandro looked to have sent Porto into second place in Group H with a fine glancing header from a Bosingwa cross. Rangers had failed to put a shot on target until Chris Burke headed into the path of fellow young substitute Ross McCormack to drive the ball home. And they held on despite late pressure to stay ahead of Porto and Artmedia. Inter Milan's defeat of the Bratislavans meant that Rangers were guaranteed at least a place in the Uefa Cup for finishing third.But the clubs hopes of becoming the first from Scotland to progress to the knockout stages had been hampered by poor form that had put McLeish on the brink of losing his job
2006 - Auxerre 2 Rangers 2 (Boyd,Novo) - UEFA Cup Group A (8,305)

2006 - I watched this game in The Blue Room in New York. Thanksgiving Day as well. Good result after being behind twice

1968 against Clyde was some attendance at Shawfield. I don't remember that match, was there anything special about the fixture to have warranted that sort of attendance?

The Porto game was one of the best smash and grabs in Europe I have ever seen.

We didn't deserve anything from that game. Fantastic what happened :)

1968 against Clyde was some attendance at Shawfield. I don't remember that match, was there anything special about the fixture to have warranted that sort of attendance?

Alex McDonald made his debut for us that day. We were dire, drew 1-1and few of us were impressed with Doddy. What a great signing he eventually turned out to be.

Last edited:
2005 and 2006 attended.

Two of my favourite European trips to date. Porto was immense, only negative after booking such a great deal independently for Stansted - Porto flights at £45 return.............my fellow Luton/Rangers pal and I overdid it post match, slept in and missed the effin flight home..........£250 each it cost us to get back home with Air Lingus (only flights available) - and that was to Gatwick, so train back to Luton on top!

Didn't take anything away from the blinding trip we had though.

2006 I independently booked us Luton/Kilsyth/Kirky Bears a hotel in Paris - Tim Hotel lol ;) and also prearranged in London, a bus to take us from the Paris hotel to Auxerre & back.

This heap of a thing came round the corner, looking like the wheels were about to fall off and I was getting dogs abuse! Fortunately it passed us by and just after I rang the London agent asking where & when our bus was coming, she said 'its on it's way sir - should be with you any time'

Minutes later this brand new spanking bus arrived. SO plush, bar, video, toilet the dogs bollocks. Pat on the backs all round for me Adair Travel. None of us had match tickets and bought them at the stadium for just 8 Euros each.

I've had 2 memorable trips with the Bears to Paris. 2001 PSG penalty shoot out the other.

1912 - Rangers 2 (Paterson,Reid,Bowie) Clyde 1 - Scottish League Division One (18,000)

Jimmy Bowie scores again......................................

I remember Flo signing and thinking "how is this going to be sustained?".

I was 16 and even I sensed danger.

Porto - nearly went out my folks livingroom window. One of those games where a point felt like the full 3!

1991 the St Mirren goal was a 30 yard screamer. Kevin McGowan?

2000 ,that's when it really sunk in to myself, that our recklessness with money was seriously out of control and could not be sustained,,

Back