On This Day (October 12th)

Sam English

1878 - Rangers 0 Queen's Park 1 - Friendly
1889 - Northern 3 Rangers 6 (D.Gow 3,Robin,Wylie,Allan) - Glasgow Cup 2nd Round (6,000)
1895 - Rangers 2 (A.Smith,J.McPherson) St.Bernard's 0 - Scottish League Division One (4,000)
1901 - Rangers 4 (Gibson,R.C.Hamilton,A.Smith,Wilkie) Partick Thistle 1 - Glasgow Cup Semi-Final (5,000)
1907 - Rangers 2 (RG Campbell,A.Smith) Celtic 2 - Glasgow Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (81,000)
1912 - Rangers 3 (Hogg,A.Smith,Bennett) Celtic 1 - Glasgow Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (90,000)
1918 - Rangers 3 (McLean 2,Aitken) Dumbarton 0 - Scottish League Division One (12,000)
1929 - Rangers 0 Celtic 0 - Glasgow Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (74,399)
If the Glasgow Cup was something of a secondary competition then it's status was lost on the crowd; 74,399 at Hampden for the final was more than would see any of Rangers' League matches that season.With the two side evenly matched,a replay was always the most likely outcome,a match that would take place in four days' time.
1935 - Rangers 2 (Fiddes,Gillick) Celtic 0 - Glasgow Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (50,000)
1940 - Hearts 1 Rangers 1 (Duncanson) - Southern League (15,762)
1946 - St.Mirren 0 Rangers 4 (Gillick 2,Thornton 2) - Scottish League Cup Section B (20,000)
1949 - Rangers 2 (Gillick 2) Clyde 1 - Glasgow Cup Final Replay (Played at Hampden Park) (40,000)
1955 - Manchester City 1 Rangers 2 (Baird,Queen) - Friendly (17,000)
1957 - St.Mirren 3 Rangers 2 (Baird,Hubbard,Murray) - Scottish League Division One (30,000)
1960 - Ferencvaros 2 Rangers 1 (Wilson) - European Cup-Winners Cup 1st Round 2nd Leg (25,000)
Although Rangers slipped to a 2-1 defeat in Hungary against Ferencvaros,their 4-2 win in the first leg enabled them to progress 5-4 on aggregate.Rangers were to make the final of the competition in its inaugural season,losing to Fiorentina over two legs.
1963 - St.Mirren 0 Rangers 3 (Brand,Willoughby,Forrest) - Scottish League Division One (35,000)
1968 - St.Johnstone 2 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1974 - Dunfermline Athletic 1 Rangers 6 (Parlane 5,Johnstone) - Scottish League Division One (18,000)
1985 - Dundee United 1 Rangers 1 (McCoist) - Scottish Premier Division (15,821)
1988 - Hibernian 0 Rangers 1 (McCoist) - Scottish Premier Division (26,000)
1991 - St.Johnstone 2 Rangers 3 (McCoist 2,Nisbet) - Scottish Premier Division (10,323)
1996 - Hibernian 2 Rangers 1 (Albertz) - Scottish Premier Division (12,436)
1999 - Rangers 1 (Wallace) Dunfermline Athletic 0 - League Cup 3rd Round (30,024)

1985 - Dundee United were all over us in this game. We equalised with a breakaway - a lovely chip from Ally McCoist.

1996 - A farcical defeat. 1-0 from an Albertz free kick. Threw away second half. Laudrup missed a penalty in the last minute. Re-taken. Missed again.

1974 : a fantastic performance by the team and in particular Derek Parlane. Although Dunfermline by this time was not as good as their team of the late 60’s, this was a potentially difficult game. However Rangers continued the rich vein of form in the league.

1996 - A farcical defeat. 1-0 from an Albertz free kick. Threw away second half. Laudrup missed a penalty in the last minute. Re-taken. Missed again.

Bo Andersen came on that day and missed two of the most horrific sitters I've ever saw. One he ballooned over when through on goal from about 8 yards. I think it ended up in the second tier behind the goal.

Yahoos closed the gap that day with an injury time winner v Motherwell from van Hooijdonk. We blew a 2 goal lead v Aberdeen the following week as well. Thankfully the Tims did likewise at Tynecastle the following day

Bo Andersen came on that day and missed two of the most horrific sitters I've ever saw. One he ballooned over when through on goal from about 8 yards. I think it ended up in the second tier behind the goal.

Yahoos closed the gap that day with an injury time winner v Motherwell from van Hooijdonk. We blew a 2 goal lead v Aberdeen the following week as well. Thankfully the Tims did likewise at Tynecastle the following day

I'd forgotten about Bo Andersen. Yes, he had an absolute nightmare. I remember on the bus back from Easter Road listening to Simon Stainrod on Real Radio (or Scot FM or whatever the equivalent was) calling Bo Andersen the worst striker he'd ever seen. We beat the Yahoos 4 times that season but followed up 2 of them with a defeat. We dropped 7 points in 5 games between beating the Yahoos in September and beating them in November. Thank God we beat them all the time.

1985 - Dundee United were all over us in this game. We equalised with a breakaway - a lovely chip from Ally McCoist.

Can't believe I've never seen that McCoist goal, great move and finish!
1988 at Easter Road midweek iirc...

1960 - Ferencvaros 2 Rangers 1 (Wilson) - European Cup-Winners Cup 1st Round 2nd Leg (25,000)
Although Rangers slipped to a 2-1 defeat in Hungary against Ferencvaros,their 4-2 win in the first leg enabled them to progress 5-4 on aggregate.Rangers were to make the final of the competition in its inaugural season,losing to Fiorentina over two legs.

I bet you the supporters at the time thought that making finals and lifting trophies in this new fangled European competition would be no bother, and our power would extend to the European game. F#ck's sake, how come we made such a rip roaring arse of it since then?

1968 my first away game. I'm sure it was a player called Kenny Aird
that scored the two goals? he always seemed to play well against the Gers.
Anybody know if he was a Tim or what?

1996 was the last time we lost a leaguegame after leading at half time until a game v Hearts not long after we went into administration in 2012.

1974 great scoring from derek parlane,,5 in any game is a fine achievement,,im sure this game was the Saturday night game on sportscene,, so possibility that some footage exists somewhere

Back