On This Day (October 18th)

Sam English

1879 - Arbroath 0 Rangers 10 (McQuarrie 2,Christie 2,Steel 2,Gillespie,H.McIntyre,McKenzie,Stewart) - Friendly (3,000)
1884 - Vale of Leven 3 Rangers 1 (Untraced) - Friendly (2,000)
1890 - Rangers 1 (Hislop) Cowlairs 1 - Scottish League (
1902 - Celtic 1 Rangers 1 (A.Smith) - Scottish League Division One (25,000)
1913 - Third Lanark 2 Rangers 4 (Logan,J.Bowie,Parker,Paterson) - Scottish League Division One (30,000)
1919 - Rangers 3 (Cunningham 2,Paterson) Celtic 0 - Scottish League Division One (76,000)
1924 - Rangers 3 (Henderson 2 1Pen,Archibald) Falkirk 1 - Scottish League Division One (10,000)
1930 - Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (15,000)
1941 - Rangers 6 (McIntosh 2,McDowell,Thomson Pen,Gillick,Johnston) Clyde 0 - Glasgow Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (40,000)
1947 - Rangers 2 (Paton,Williamson) Hibernian 1 - Scottish League Division One (55,000)
1952 - East Fife 3 Rangers 2 (Thornton,Grierson) - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1958 - Rangers 4 (McMillan,Scott,Baird,Hubbard) Raith Rovers 4 - Scottish League Division One (35,000)
1961 - Rangers 2 (Davis 2) Eintracht Frankfurt 3 - Friendly (Played at Hampden Park) (104,679)
The SFA decided to inaugurate the Hampden Park floodlights with an invitation to Eintracht Frankfurt to play a friendly match against Rangers.Eintracht had eliminated Rangers in the Champions' Cup semi-final in 1960 and then went on to play their part in making the final against Real Madrid,also at Hampden Park,quite possibly the greatest ever club match played in Scotland.A crowd of 104,679 saw the Germans win 3-2
1975 - Motherwell 2 Rangers 1 (Johnstone) - Scottish Premier Division (18,925)
1976 - Rangers 0 Clydebank 0 - League Cup Quarter-Final Replay (15,000)
1977 - Rangers 2 (McLean,Forsyth) Partick Thistle 2 - Glasgow Cup Semi-Final (9,000)
Rangers won 4-3 on penalties after the game had finished 2-2 after 90 minutes,but the competition was never completed.
1978 - Rangers 0 PSV Eindhoven 0 - European Champions' Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg (44,000)
1980 - Rangers 0 Airdrieonians 0 - Scottish Premier Division (23,000)
1986 - Falkirk 1 Rangers 5 (Fleck 3 1Pen,Cooper Pen,McCoist) - Scottish Premier Division (16,800)
1995 - Juventus 4 Rangers 1 (Gough) - European Champions League Group C (49,825)
Although Rangers went into the match with hopes that they might salvage a point or two in their own quest for the cup,they ran up against a side of different quality and destined to lift the cup the following May. The game was over as a contest at half-time with Juventus already 3-0 ahead and there was a real danger that Rangers were in line for one of their heaviest defeats in Europe. Fortunately for Rangers, Juventus relaxed slightly in the second half, scoring only one further goal and allowing Richard Gough to grab one for Rangers.
1997 - Rangers 7 (Negri 4,Gascoigne 2,Laudrup) Dunfermline Athletic 0 - Scottish Premier Division (49,696)
2001 - Rangers 3 (Amoruso,Ball,R.de Boer) Moscow Dynamo 1 - UEFA Cup 2nd Round (45,008)
2011 - Rangers 1 (McCulloch) Liverpool 0 - Friendly (27,453)
2014 - Rangers 6 (Daly 2, McCulloch, Law, Miller, Boyd) Raith Rovers 1 - Scottish Championship (33,956)

1947 - goalscorers Willie Paton and Billy Williamson also played for Kirkintilloch Rob Roy.

More poignantly, both men were together in the same hospital ward (Stobhill Hospital, Springburn) towards the end of their respective lives.

As a poster mentioned yesterday: Absent Friends.

1978 - I thought our european adventures were over, how wrong I was to be. Possibly the best away trip I have been on in Eindhoven

1913 - Third Lanark 2 Rangers 4 (Logan,J.Bowie,Parker,Paterson) - Scottish League Division One (30,000)

Jimmy Bowie playing in the usual No. 8 jersey scores the 2nd goal to set Rangers on a good win away, sadly Rangers would finish runners-up in the League end

1976 - That was the third game in that tie and after extra time the result was still all square. The deciding game was set for Firhill on the following evening. Amazing now to think that was the case.

1976 - That was the third game in that tie and after extra time the result was still all square. The deciding game was set for Firhill on the following evening. Amazing now to think that was the case.
Alex Miller missed a penalty, did Rangers play in all white that night?

1947 - goalscorers Willie Paton and Billy Williamson also played for Kirkintilloch Rob Roy.

More poignantly, both men were together in the same hospital ward (Stobhill Hospital, Springburn) towards the end of their respective lives.

This is what I like to see, wee snippets of history you will never read about elsewhere

1976. I stand to be corrected, but I think Davie Cooper scored in 3 of the games for Clydebank.

Last edited:
1995 - My first away trip in Europe and we were 3 down after 20 minutes. Alec Cleland must still have nightmares about Del Piero.

1978 - Rangers 0 PSV Eindhoven 0 - European Champions' Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg(44,000)

I was at this match. Quite a tight affair IIRC, Who would have thought the return leg would be an end to end classic and one ouf our best ever victories in Europe?

2001 - Craig Moore looked to have sustained a serious head/neck injury and was stretchered off only to reappear a few moments later.

1975: early goal from DJ, but we couldn’t finish them off. Pettigrew and the mentally challenged Vic Davidson done us late on.

Lost 3 and drew 3 of our first 10 games in 75/76. Went on a good run after that, and the rest is history.

Alex Miller missed a penalty, did Rangers play in all white that night?

I was at the game that night but I cannot remember Miller missing a penalty. I was also at the first game against Clydebank (3-3) at Ibrox. My memory of that game is that Clydebank wore a mainly white coloured jersey and we wore our normal colours. I can't see any reason why we would have changed for the third game.

Last edited:

Didn't George Young play for them too?

Great informative post.

From memory the talk was that Falkirk "accidentaly" printed and sold considerably more tickets than Brockville could hold.
A number of fans ended up spilling on to the pitch, I was in the end behind the goal and there was a lot of crushing.
Thinking back Falkirk were lucky they did'nt have to attend an official accident enquiry.

From memory the talk was that Falkirk "accidentaly" printed and sold considerably more tickets than Brockville could hold.
A number of fans ended up spilling on to the pitch, I was in the end behind the goal and there was a lot of crushing.
Thinking back Falkirk were lucky they did'nt have to attend an official accident enquiry.
[/QUOTE Brockville was an accident waiting to happen.

Didn't George Young play for them too?

Great informative post.
He did indeed.

Further information: Mr Paton hailed from Springburn and Mr Williamson from Lenzie (3-4 miles from Springburn). I was born and brought up in Springburn and always take an interest in players from my locale - Jim Forrest and Alex Willoughby being prime examples. (I try to forget Mo Johnston!).

There’s a conversation I’d love to have heard!
The policemen made sure the camera was off after a few minutes so there must be footage somewhere, his voice was getting higher as he was getting angrier, we left as we heard a gate was being opened but it never happened so we did what every fan should have
A. Go back to the pub
B. Go back to the pub
C. Go back and sit on the bus
D. Go back to the pub

we chose the pub as it would have been rude not too, I will still have my ticket in a folder somewhere.

we wrote to their chairman who was the guy that had the tv shop in Hamilton if I remember right to be told basically to feck right off and get into the ground an hour before kick off next time.

Back