On This Day (October 19th)

Sam English

1878 - Whitefield 1 Rangers 6 (Untraced) - Scottish Cup 2nd Round
1889 - Rangers 0 Vale of Leven 0 - Scottish Cup 3rd Round
(8,500)
1895 - Dundee 3 Rangers 2 (Miller,A.Smith) - Friendly
1901 - Hibernian 2 Rangers 3
(Wilkie,R.C.Hamilton Pen,Neil) - Scottish League Division One (12,000)
1907 - Rangers 0 Celtic 0 - Glasgow Cup Final Replay (Played at Hampden Park) (52,000)
1912 - Hibernian 0 Rangers 1 (Reid) - Scottish League Division One (16,000)
1918 - Celtic 0 Rangers 3 (Cairns,Bowie,McDiarmid) - Scottish League Division One (36,000)
1929 - Partick Thistle 0 Rangers 1 (Fleming) - Scottish League Division One (40,000)
1935 - Rangers 1 (Brown) Hearts 1 - Scottish League Division One (26,000)
1937 - Stoke City 0 Rangers 0 - Friendly (30,000)
This match was to raise funds for the Holditch Colliery Disaster Fund and drew a crowd of 30,000 to the Victoria Ground in Stoke.After the game Rangers were presented with the 'Loving Cup', a trophy that had been awarded to all English First Division clubs in honour of King George V's Silver Jubliee. The trophy is brought out at Ibrox at the first game of each year and used to toast the health of the Monarch.
1940 - Rangers 2 (Venters,Duncanson) Albion Rovers 0 - Southern League
1946 - Rangers 1
(Arnison) Queen's Park 0 - League Cup Section B (20,000)
1950 - Billy Simpson was signed from Linfield for £11,500
1957 - Celtic 7 Rangers 1 (Simpson) - League Cup Final (Played At Hampden Park) (82,293)
Although the League Cup was over ten years old, this was the first time that both clubs had met in the final. And, given the result, Rangers could be forgiven for hoping that it would take another ten years before they met their rivals at the same stage again. A crowd of 82,293 witnessed as one-sided match as would be seen for many a year, with celtic attacking at will in a match that was a personal nightmare for Rangers centre-half John Valentine
1960 - Rangers 7 (Brand 3,Millar 2,McMillan,Scott) Queen of the South 0 - League Cup Semi-Final (Played at Celtic Park) (17,000)
1963 - Rangers 3 (Forrst 2,Wilson) East Stirlingshire 1 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1966 - Rangers 2 (Henderson 2) Aberdeen 2 - League Cup Semi-Final (Played At Hampden Park) (38,623)
1968 - Rangers 3 (Persson,Jardine,A.Ferguson) Dunfermline Athletic 0 - Scottish League Division One (35,000)
1974 - Rangers 3 (Jardine Pen ,Fyfe, Johnstone) Clyde 1 - Scottish League Division One (25,000)
1976 - Clydebank 1 Rangers 2 (Parlane, McKean) - League Cup Quarter-Final 2nd Replay (Played at Firhill) (14,000)
1983 - Rangers 2 (Clark, Mitchell) FC Porto 1 - European Cup-Winners Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg (27,800)
1985 - Rangers 1 (Cooper Pen) Hibernian 2 - Scottish Premier Division (23,478)
1986 - Morton 2 Rangers 5 (Fleck, Cooper, McSwegan, Burns, Nisbet) - Friendly (5,000)
This was a testimonial match for Jimmy Simpson and drew a crowd of 5,000 to Cappielow Park
1991 - Rangers 2 (McCoist, Mikhailichenko) Hearts 0 - Scottish Premier Division (36,481)
1996 - Rangers 2 (Gascoigne, Laudrup) Aberdeen 2 - Scottish Premier Division (50,076)
2002 - Rangers 3 (Amoruso,Lovenkrands,R.de Boer) Motherwell 0 - Scottish Premier League (49,376)
2003 - Motherwell 1 Rangers 1 (Arveladze) - Scottish Premier League (10,824)
2005 - Rangers 0 Artmedia Bratislava 0 - European Champions League Group H (49,018)
2006 - Livorno 2 Rangers 3 (Adam, Boyd Pen, Novo) - UEFA Cup Group A (13,200)
2013 - Brechin City 3 Rangers 4 (Daly, Mohsni, Law, Clark) - Scottish League One (3,237)

1996 home match versus Aberdeen was my one and only time in one of the suites at Ibrox (think it was the Waddell suite). Big Rowbotham was the ref that day and gave more than a few decisions Aberdeen's way. After the game, he comes into the lounge bar, has a very quick drink, senses the hostility, and bolts out!

Despite the scoreline, Laudrup's goal was special.

why was John Valentine singled out, was he particularly bad/sent off? Looking at the scoreline you'd imagine we were all completely shit to a man that day?

'was a personal nightmare for Rangers centre-half John Valentine'

1918 - Celtic 0 Rangers 3 (Cairns,Bowie,McDiarmid) - Scottish League Division One (36,000)

Just like yesterday, 102 years ago Rangers went to the Bheggerdome and beat Septic, Jimmy Bowie again playing in his No.8 jersey scored the second, he played 26 games that season , scoring 14 goals in total but sadly Rangers were League runners-up in the end.

2006 -
Believe it was the build up to this game in which Le Guen chucked Bardsley out of the squad?

A surprise win given how poorly we had been doing leading up to that. Adams goal was a cracker.

why was John Valentine singled out, was he particularly bad/sent off? Looking at the scoreline you'd imagine we were all completely shit to a man that day?

'was a personal nightmare for Rangers centre-half John Valentine'
He was signed from QP after playing a stormer against us but he was taken to the cleaners by a guy called Billie McPhail He did not play for us again.

1976 - the end of the 'saga' came that night. I had been at Ibrox the night before and fully intended to head for Firhill but my wife who was due to have our first child within the next few days 'persuaded' me that it was not a good idea. :)) The game was not broadcast, no Internet, teletext or mobiles for updates in those days and it was a nervous wait for the 10pm news on Radio Clyde to get the result. It was a relief.

I watched the Livorono game in a quiet Irish bar in Torremolinos, gave a big cheer at our goals and was pleasantly surprised when a few others joined in :))

He was signed from QP after playing a stormer against us but he was taken to the cleaners by a guy called Billie McPhail He did not play for us again.
A brief career at Rangers for Valentine, only 2 league matches, 1 of them also a defeat against Celtic. Also played in an away European Cup game v St Etienne, another defeat.

Ended up at St Johnstone.

2006-We played really well.The stadium was a shithole and the rain was incessant,still loved the trip and result.

A brief career at Rangers for Valentine, only 2 league matches, 1 of them also a defeat against Celtic. Also played in an away European Cup game v St Etienne, another defeat.

Ended up at St Johnstone.

According to the older members of my family at the time, Valentine's appearance in the team was because of George Young's decision to retire at the end of the previous season. I remember some them actually voicing resentment against Young due to his decision to retire which they thought had been an indirect cause of the 7-1 defeat. That mob lived off that one result until the arrival of Stein at Parkhead 8 years later.

2006 : Livorno and Pisa have had a bitter rivalry for years. I was not at the Livorno game but I flew into Pisa Airport about a fortnight afterwards. On one of the routes away from the airport, I noticed Rangers had been sprayed onto the side of a wall. I have been in and out of Pisa Airport many times over the years but that piece of graffiti always brought a smile to my face when I saw it.

Eventually it was painted over but I noticed recently that RFC had taken its place. Probably the best bit about Pisa tbh.

Rangers were favourites that day a freak result.
Even one of their players said everything they hit went in thankfully I have absolutely no memory of that day I was 7 at the time.
The next old firm game was New Year’s Day at parkhead we won 1-0.
For the next glorious 8years all we got out of them was 7 and we won the coronation cup.

Rangers were favourites that day a freak result.
Even one of their players said everything they hit went in thankfully I have absolutely no memory of that day I was 7 at the time.
The next old firm game was New Year’s Day at parkhead we won 1-0.
For the next glorious 8years all we got out of them was 7 and we won the coronation cup.
They still talk about it.

Back