On This Day (October 21st)

Sam English

1876 - Towerhill 0 Rangers 8 (P.Campbell 2,Dunlop 2,Marshall 2,Watson 2) - Scottish Cup 2nd Round
The Scottish Cup was only in it's third season with Rangers setting their then own record score for a competitive match with an 8-0 win at Towerhill.
1893 - Linthouse 2 Rangers 4 (Marshall,Blyth,Mitchell,Gray) - Friendly (2,000)
1899 - Hibernian 0 Rangers 2 (A.Smith 2) - Scottish League Division One (16,000)
1905 - Rangers 3 (Kyle,Shaw,May) Celtic 2 - Scottish League Division One (30,000)
1911 - Rangers 3 (J.Bowie 2,Gordon) Celtic 1- Scottish League Division One (47,000)
1916 - Third Lanark 1 Rangers 1 (Paterson) -Scottish League Division One (30,000)
1922 - Rangers 2 (Dixon,Henderson) Albion Rovers 2 - Scottish League Division One (18,000)
1933 - Rangers 3 (J.Smith 2 1Pen,McPhail) Hearts 1 - Scottish League Division One (30,000)
1939 - Motherwell 0 Rangers 1 (J.Smith) - Regional League Western Division (8,000)
1944 - Rangers 3 (Venters 2,Gillick) Albion Rovers 0 - Southern League (7,000)
1961 - Motherwell 2 Rangers 2 (Wilson,Brand) - Scottish League Division One (24,500)
1972 - Arbroath 1 Rangers 2 (Parlane,Mason) - Scottish League Division One (8,400)
1978 - St.Mirren 0 Rangers 1 (A.Forsyth Pen) - Scottish Premier Division (26,000)
1987 - Rangers 3 (McCoist,Durrant,Falco) Gornik Zabrze 1 - European Champions Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg (41,366)
1992 - Rangers 2 (Lukic OG,McCoist) Leeds United 1 - European Champions League 2nd Qualifying Round 1st Leg (43,251)
The two titanic struggles with English champions Leeds United were perhaps the highlights of 1992-93 season,for overall victory for
either side would give them entry into the revamped League system of the European Champions' Cup. Leeds,it has to be said,were fortunate to have survived the first round; beaten over two legs by Stuttgart.It was subsequently discovered that the Germans had played an illegible player and a replay ordered for the Nou Camp Stadium in Barcelona,which Leeds won 2-1. Interest, not surprisingly, in the two ties was immense, prompting both to be all ticket affairs with no allocation for visiting fans, although there were sprinklings of Leeds fans at Ibrox and vice versa.
At Ibrox those present were treated to a gripping affair, enlivened in the very first minute when Gary McAllister put Leeds in front with a magnificent volley. For once,however,Rangers showed admirable patience in going about retrieving the situation, patience that was rewarded when John Lukic in the Leeds goal fumbled and punched the ball into his own net for the equaliser. Ally McCoist later put Rangers ahead but it was Leeds who perhaps had more reason to feel happy with the night's work at the end,they had got a vital away goal
1995 - Rangers 4 (Salenko 2,Gascoigne,Durie) Hearts 1 - Scottish Premier Division (45,155)
2001 - St.Johnstone 0 Rangers 2 (Arveladze, Flo) - Scottish Premier League (8,331)
2004 - Amica Wronki 0 Rangers 5 (Lovenkrands, Novo, Ricksen, Arveladze Pen, Thompson) - UEFA Cup Group F (4,500)
2014 - East Fife 0 Rangers 2 (Daly, Black)- Scottish Challenge Cup Quarter-Final (1,827)
2018 - Hamilton Accies 1 Rangers 4 (Tavernier 2, 2 Pens, Kent, Morelos) - Scottish Premiership (5,013)
Two penalties and a goal from Alfredo Morelos in the last ten minutes gave Steven Gerrard his first Premiership away win as Rangers manager. The win also moved them back to five points behind leaders Hearts ahead of what was a huge week for the Light Blues

half time came too quickly for us in 92, we were absolutely battering them at that point. The second half was a shadow of the first imo

1987 - an incredible performance from Ian Durrant.

(As an aside: no defeats on 21st October!).

1911 - Rangers 3 (J.Bowie 2,Gordon) Celtic 1- Scottish League Division One (47,000)

Jimmy Bowie's first full season at Ibrox

1992- I'm astonished that this game was 28 years ago!! I still remember it really well, the build up was intense and then the deflation of the first minute goal but the Gers took it in their stride and really took the game to Leeds.

2014 - East Fife 0 Rangers 2 (Daly, Black)- Scottish Challenge Cup Quarter-Final (1,827)

foster had a pop at the bears that night

2018 - Hamilton Accies 1 Rangers 4 (Tavernier 2, 2 Pens, Kent, Morelos) - Scottish Premiership (5,013)

some were saying this was the worst 4-1 they have ever watched

1992 - The atmosphere was brilliant until GM scored that screamer in 1st minute then felt like that the sound was put on mute, it was a surreal moment.

Leeds,it has to be said,were fortunate to have survived the first round; beaten over two legs by Stuttgart.It was subsequently discovered that the Germans had played an illegible player and a replay ordered for the Nou Camp Stadium in Barcelona,which Leeds won 2-1

Didn't know that.

For the Leeds match in 1992, anyone else remember the full match being broadcast but not live? It was maybe delayed until the final whistle? What was the story behind that?

The following morning he Independent had a little cartoon showing their keeper flapping and a group of Bears watching the game in a pub and with a caption deriding English keepers. Scottish keepers often got pelters in the English media which seemed to start with Stewarts display at Wembley.
I re drew the cartoon to a larger scale, coloured it and framed it but lost track of it about 10 years ago sadly.

1992- I'm astonished that this game was 28 years ago!! I still remember it really well, the build up was intense and then the deflation of the first minute goal but the Gers took it in their stride and really took the game to Leeds.
I can recall various events in my life with great clarity from this time, including the game.
I had a lot going on! More good than bad.

Back