Rangers History On This Day (October 26th)

Sam English

1878 - Nottingham Forest 0 Rangers 2 (Dunlop,Stuthers) - Friendly
Rangers' second visit to Forest's Racecourse Ground saw them record their third win over their English rivals thanks to goals from Willie Dunlop and Willie Struthers.
1889 - Vale of Leven 3 Rangers 2 (Wylie,D.Gow) - Scottish Cup 3rd Round Replay (4,500)
1895 - Hibernian 1 Rangers 1 (Barker) - Scottish League Division One (8,000)
1901 - Rangers 2 (Speedie,Wilkie) Celtic 2 - Glasgow Cup Final (Played at Ibrox Park) (40,000)
Celtic were not happy at having to play the final of the Glasgow Cup at Ibrox,even though the venue had been selected by vote of the Glasgow Football Association.When the game ended a draw and the same committee again chose Ibrox for the replay,Celtic refused to agree. Rangers offered to compromise and play the replay at a neutral ground,but this too was rejected by Celtic,who claimed that having drawn at Ibrox their own Celtic Park should be the venue for the replay.When this was rejected and it became apparent there was not going to be a replay,the trophy and medals were awarded to Rangers.
1907 - Rangers 1 (Kyle) Celtic 2 - Glasgow Cup Final 2nd Replay (Played at Hampden Park) (56,000)
1912 - Celtic 3 Rangers 2 (Reid 2) - Scottish League Division One (45,000)
1918 - Rangers 0 Motherwell 0 - Scottish League Division One (22,000)
1929 - Rangers 1 (Nicholson) Celtic 0 - Scottish League Division One (50,000)
This was a game that showed the vast gulf between the two clubs at this time. Scotland was playing Wales in Cardiff. Dougie Gray, Tully Craig, Tommy Muirhead and Alan Morton were in the Scotland side. Bob Hamilton, Jock Buchanan and Davie Meiklejohn were unavailable due to injury or illness. Seven reserves were in the Rangers' line-up but the "Glasgow Herald" still felt we would still have the edge over a Celtic team missing only Jimmy McGrory. The "Herald" was proved correct!
1935 - Clyde 1 Rangers 4 (Venters 2 1Pen,Drysdale) - Scottish League Division One (14,000)
1940 - Dumbarton 1 Rangers 4 (J.Smith 3,Waddell) - Southern League (10,000)
1946 - Morton 0 Rangers 2 (Young Pen,Thornton) - League Cup section B (18,000)
1957 - Rangers 2 (B.Simpson) Hearts 3 - Scottish League Division One (62,000)
1960 - Hearts 1 Rangers 3 (Scott,Brand,Wilson) - Scottish League Division One (39,500)
1963 - Rangers 5 (Forrest 4,Willoughby) Morton 0 - League Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (105,907)
Morton were surprise finalists in the League Cup,disposing of several bigger names on route to Hampden Park and the prospect of an encounter between David and Goliath was enough to draw a crowd of 105,907 for the final. There Morton's luck finally ran out,for Rangers quickly took command of the game and ended up easy winners.Jim Forrest,who had originally broken into the team deputising for the injured Jimmy Millar, scored four goals,a record achievement for a Rangers player in a cup final.It was a family affair as well,for Rangers' other goal was scored by his cousin Alex Willoughby.
1968 - Rangers 2 (A.Ferguson,Henderson) Aberdeen 3 - Scottish League Division One (40,000)
1974 - Hearts 1 Rangers 1 (Jardine Pen) - Scottish League Division One (27,094)
1977 - Aberdeen 3 Rangers 1 (Smith) - League Cup 3rd Round 2nd Leg (15,600)
1983 - Rangers 2 (Prytz,Mitchell) Hearts 0 - League Cup Section 2 (9,820)
1985 - St.Mirren 2 Rangers 1 (McCoist) - Scottish Premier Division (13,911)
1986 - Rangers 2 (Durrant,Cooper Pen) Celtic 1 - League Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (74,219)
The Graeme Souness regime got off to a perfect start with victory in the League Cup over bitter rivals Celtic. Player-manager Souness watched from the sidelines, having been injured two weeks previously, but was obviously delighted as Ian Durrant and Davie Cooper from the penalty spot ensured the first trophy of his management career. For Celtic there was the added misery of having Maurice Johnston sent off during the game. "I am delighted for the players and for the fans, but this is just where we begin." The words of Rangers Chief Executive David Holmes in his post-match interview
1988 - 1FC Cologne 2 Rangers 0 - UEFA Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg (42,000)
1991 - Rangers 1 (Johnston) Falkirk 1 - Scottish Premier Division (36,441)
1994 - Rangers secured the services of Scotland international defender Alan McLaren from Hearts in a deal reported to be worth around £2 million with Dave McPherson going in the opposite direction. McLaren would play 85 times for the club, scoring 5 goals, but injury would curtail his time at Ibrox and he would ultimately retire from football at the age of 28.
1996 - Rangers 5 (Laudrup 2,Gascoigne 3) Motherwell 0 - Scottish Premier Division (48,169)
1999 - Rangers 1 (Moore) Valencia CF 2 - European Champions League Group F (50,063)
2005 - Livingston 2 Rangers 2 (Ferguson,Burke) - Scottish Premier League (9,481)
2013 - East Fife 0 Rangers 4 (Daly 3, Thom OG) - Scottish League One (4,700)
Bayview Stadium witnessed its record attendance
2016 - Rangers 1 (Garner) St.Johnstone 1 - Scottish Premiership (46,563)
2017 - Rangers sack manager Pedro Caixinha after seven months in charge. Coach Graeme Murty took over on an interim basis, as he did before Caixinha's appointment. Caixinha won 14 of his 26 games, with assistant manager Helder Baptista and coaches Pedro Malta and Jose Belman also leaving Ibrox.
The decision was made at a board meeting after the previous evenings 1-1 home draw with Kilmarnock, which left Rangers fourth in the Scottish Premiership.

1996 - one of Laudrup's goals was immense that day.

1999 - best team performance I've seen at Ibrox from an opposition side. Mendieta was unbelievable. Not bad for the 'Aberdeen of Spain'

1986 was the first time I remember being really excited before a game and I was cutting bits out of the newspapers and putting them into a scrapbook before the match.
A couple of my mates from primary school came round to watch on TV and we were supporting Rangers in one room, my dad supporting Celtic in the other.

It would have been wonderful to be at this match but for me at the age I was, and at a stage where I was soaking it all up with regard to Rangers, it was a great experience to watch it on the telly.

1991 - a more wordly-wise teenage me :cool: saw Mo Johnston dig Rangers out of a hole with his last goal for the club. I liked Johnston, he was a more industrious than people give him credit for and he was a scorer of important goals.

Funny thing is, if I had been a bit older when he signed, I wouldn’t have fancied it. The tracksuits, the acting like a ned.. I was very influenced by the standards of Struth for Rangers players and Johnston would have been miles off.

1994 - Alan McLaren was immense for Rangers.. there was never any big panic when he was around. He didn’t dive into challenges, just marshalled people out of the way.
A real shame that injury affected him like that because I’m sure he would have gone on to be a successful Rangers captain in his own right.

1901 - Sellik display their customary dignity.

1968 - the wonderful Jim Forrest scored for Aberdeen.

1986 - simply magnificent.

1968- Sandy Jardine played centre forward that day, we signed Colin Stein the following week

2013 - East Fife 0 Rangers 4 (Daly 3, Thom OG) - Scottish League One (4,700)
Bayview Stadium witnessed its record attendance
great away day !!!

2005 - Livingston 2 Rangers 2 (Ferguson,Burke) - Scottish Premier League (9,481)
midweek and 2-0 up?

1999 - Mendieta put in one of the greatest performances Ibrox has ever seen

2005 - a howler from Wattereus let them back in the game when we were 2 up

Yes and Yes

Snodgrass scored Livingston 2 goals
was there

home fans use to be situated in stand behind the goal and it was only a corner they had, we had full away stand and main stand if i remember correct

and our keeper RW being at fault for their 2nd

was there

home fans use to be situated in stand behind the goal and it was only a corner they had, we had full away stand and main stand if i remember correct

and our keeper RW being at fault for their 2nd

Certainly mind they had a small section behind the goal but thought had the Main Stand as well if not you have good memory

He was fault at the 1st goal IRC

1968 - Rangers 2 (A.Ferguson,Henderson) Aberdeen 3 - Scottish League Division One (40,000)
1968- Sandy Jardine played centre forward that day, we signed Colin Stein the following week

Jardine had come off the bench a couple of months earlier, and scored in a 2-1 win over Partick Thistle in the League Cup, then Davie White put him in at Centre Forward for the next 12 games,
whereby Jardine scored 11 goals.
This particular game, Ferguson came off the bench, replacing Jardine and scored in the 83rd min, with Henderson scoring a minute later, but it was too little too late, as our best Striker of the 1960's, Jim Forrest had already scored twice for Aberdeen (and one from Davy Johnston) to give them a 3-0 lead.
John Greig also missed a penalty in this game.
Ferguson started at Centre Forward for the midweek game v Dundalk, and scored twice in a 6-1 win.
The next day we signed Colin Colin Colin Stein, the greatest Centre Forward the World has ever seen!
and the rest as they say is history.

In his first two seasons Davie White only lost two League Games at Ibrox, and both were 2-3 defeats to Aberdeen.

1901 - Rangers 2 (Speedie,Wilkie) Celtic 2 - Glasgow Cup Final (Played at Ibrox Park) (40,000)
Celtic were not happy at having to play the final of the Glasgow Cup at Ibrox,even though the venue had been selected by vote of the Glasgow Football Association.When the game ended a draw and the same committee again chose Ibrox for the replay,Celtic refused to agree. Rangers offered to compromise and play the replay at a neutral ground,but this too was rejected by Celtic,who claimed that having drawn at Ibrox their own Celtic Park should be the venue for the replay.When this was rejected and it became apparent there was not going to be a replay,the trophy and medals were awarded to Rangers.
"A curious case with the Glasgow FA 100% to blame, for apparently Rangers would have been happy to go to Celtic Park, if that had been the decision. One of the very few times at this time in history that Celtic and Rangers "fell out". Normally a very cosy relationship."

1963 - Rangers 5 (Forrest 4,Willoughby) Morton 0 - League Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (105,907)
Morton were surprise finalists in the League Cup,disposing of several bigger names on route to Hampden Park and the prospect of an encounter between David and Goliath was enough to draw a crowd of 105,907 for the final. There Morton's luck finally ran out,for Rangers quickly took command of the game and ended up easy winners.Jim Forrest,who had originally broken into the team deputising for the injured Jimmy Millar, scored four goals,a record achievement for a Rangers player in a cup final.It was a family affair as well,for Rangers' other goal was scored by his cousin Alex Willoughby.

Watched by a then-record crowd for a League Cup final of 105,907.
The Morton fans, the players and the management felt they had a chance, but the reality was different – they lost 5-0.
That stark statistic is not a fair reflection of the match, however.
At 0-0 at the interval, Morton were well in the match,
but as the great Allan McGraw, who later signed for Hibs and was the Morton manager between 1985 and 1997, recalls a crisis of confidence in the dressing room and a subsequent positional switch contributed to Rangers running away with the match.
“Jim Kiernan was a great centre-half for us, and he had held Jim Forrest well, but he mentioned at half-time that he was a bit worried about the pace of Forrest, so Hal told Jim Reilly, our captain and key man in midfield, to play deeper as cover, and we lost the midfield.”
Forrest subsequently ran riot, scoring four goals, with his cousin Alex Willoughby grabbing the other.

This took the 19 year old Jim Forrest's tally to 27 Goals in 20 games so far that season, and the third time in two months that he scored 4 Goals in a game!
He had also scored 3 Goals in 3 Games against Celtic.

Morton would go on to win the Second Division by 14 points.
They scored more league goals (135) than any British side.
In all league and cup matches they scored 164 goals, with McGraw the leading goalscorer in Britain, netting 58 Goals.
With Renfrewshire Cup matches, friendlies, and the short-lived Summer Cup, Morton scored an incredible 203 goals in 62 matches in season 1963-64.

Three Teenage Forwards in the Rangers Line up that day

GL217786.jpg

Jardine had come off the bench a couple of months earlier, and scored in a 2-1 win over Partick Thistle in the League Cup, then Davie White put him in at Centre Forward for the next 12 games,
whereby Jardine scored 11 goals.
This particular game, Ferguson came off the bench, replacing Jardine and scored in the 83rd min, with Henderson scoring a minute later, but it was too little too late, as our best Striker of the 1960's, Jim Forrest had already scored twice for Aberdeen (and one from Davy Johnston) to give them a 3-0 lead.
John Greig also missed a penalty in this game.
Ferguson started at Centre Forward for the midweek game v Dundalk, and scored twice in a 6-1 win.
The next day we signed Colin Colin Colin Stein, the greatest Centre Forward the World has ever seen!
and the rest as they say is history.

In his first two seasons Davie White only lost two League Games at Ibrox, and both were 2-3 defeats to Aberdeen.
Another fantastic and informative post, you really do know your Rangers info, my cap is doffed to you

Back