On This Day (September 22nd)

Sam English

1877 - Rangers 3 (Dunlop 2,P.Campbell) South Western 0 - Friendly
1883 - Rangers 5
(McGregor 3,Inglis,Hamilton) Third Lanark RV 0 - Friendly (4,000)
1888 - Clyde 2 Rangers 2 (Aird,Wylie) - Scottish Cup 2nd Round
1894 - Celtic 5 Rangers 3
(Gray,Barker,J.McPherson) - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1900 - Rangers 4 (R.C.Hamilton 2,Cameron,RG Campbell) Celtic 3 - Glasgow Cup 1st Round Replay (30,000)
1906 - Dundee 2 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (14,600)
1913 - Aberdeen 0 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (18,000)
1917 - Celtic 0 Rangers 3 (Cairns,Archibald,Brown) - Glasgow Cup Semi-Final (40,000)
1919 - Cowdenbeath 1 Rangers 7 (Muirhead 3,Hutchison 3,McDonald) - Friendly
1923 - Rangers 2
(Cunningham Pen,Henderson) Aberdeen 0 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1925 - Rangers 1 Huddersfield Town 5 - Davie Meiklejohn Benefit Match (2,000)
Huddersfield were the reigning English Champions and on their way to winning the title for a third consecutive season, the first time such a feat had been accomplished south of the border. Rangers were reigning Champions as well and had won the title for the last three seasons, although 1925-26 was to see them slip to sixth place. Perhaps this was the reason only 2,000 turned out for the benefit match for that great captain David Meiklejohn, with the English Champions proving too strong on the day.
1928 - Rangers 7 (Fleming 3,McPhail 2,McMillan,Morton) Raith Rovers 1 - Scottish League Division One (16,000)
1934 - St.Mirren 0 Rangers 2 (McPhail,J.Smith) - Scottish League Division One (10,000)
1945 - Rangers 1 (G.Young Pen) Falkirk 0 - Southern League (10,000)
1951 - Rangers 1 (Findlay) Celtic 1 - Scottish League Division One (86,000)
1954 - Motherwell 2 Rangers 1 (Prentice) - League Cup Quarter-Final 1st Leg (24,000)
1956 - Celtic 0 Rangers 2 (Murray,Scott) - Scottish League Division One (53,000)
1962 - Hibernian 1 Rangers 5 (Millar 2,Wilson 2 1Pen,Baxter) - Scottish League Division One (28,000)
1965 - Rangers 4 (Forrest 3,McLean) Airdrieonians 0 - League Cup Quarter-Final 2nd Leg (10,000)
1976 - Rangers 3 (Johnstone,MacDonald,Hamilton) Clydebank 3 - League Cup Quarter-Final (15,000)
1979 - Rangers 2 (Johnstone,Glennie OG) Dundee 0 - Scottish Premier Division (25,000)
1982 - Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 6 (Cooper 4,J.McDonald 2) - League Cup Quarter-Final 1st Leg (7,903)
1984 - Rangers 2 (McCoist,Fraser) Morton 0 - Scottish Premier Division (16,995)
1990 - Dundee United 2 Rangers 1 (Johnston) - Scottish Premier Division (16,270)
1992 - Rangers 3 (McCoist 3) St.Johnstone 1 - League Cup Semi-Final (Played at Hampden Park) (30,062)
Ally McCoist scored a hat-trick as Rangers moved into the final of the League Cup to face Aberdeen.The same two sides also clashed at the end of the season in the Scottish Cup,with Rangers winning both finals to set up a clean sweep of domestic honours
1993 - Rangers 1 (Hateley) Celtic 0 - League Cup Semi-Final (Played at Ibrox) (47,420)
Mark Hateley scored the only goal of the game to further tighten Rangers' grip on the League Cup and set up a final clash with Hibernian
2001 - Dundee United 1 Rangers 6 (Flo 3,Buchan OG,,R.de Boer,McCann) - Scottish Premier League (11,117)
2004 - Aberdeen 0 Rangers 2 (Ricksen,Thompson) - League Cup 3rd Round (14,876)
2013 - Forfar Athletic 0 Rangers 1 (Little) - Scottish League One (3,776)
2015 - Rangers 1 (Tavernier) St.Johnstone 3 - League Cup 3rd Round (27,094)
2019 - St.Johnstone 0 Rangers 4 (Defoe 2, Morelos, Goldson) - Scottish Premiership (6,251)

1976 - midweek game, low crowd and I watched it from the top of the old Broomloan Road end. After about 25 minutes I said to a guy stood near me, "Who's that winger they've got"? The guy looked at his programme and replied "I think his name's Cooper".

2001 - I sat in their George Fox Stand that day next to a former work colleague who is a dyed in the wool Dundee Hibs fan. It was great!

1993 - Pieter Huistra sent off for taking aim at, but sadly missing, Tom Boyd. Bonnar also cleaned out Hateley in the first half but stayed on the park.

2015, we allowed O’Hallaran to run riot over us and signed him off the back of it but never ever played him in the position he played that night,strange signing

2015, we allowed O’Hallaran to run riot over us and signed him off the back of it but never ever played him in the position he played that night,strange signing
The position wasn't the issue with O'Halloran. He is suited to a team playing on the counter attack where he can use his pace to get in behind defenders. That's not normally our game in Scottish football.

Well, it's that and his attitude.

1993 - Pieter Huistra sent off for taking aim at, but sadly missing, Tom Boyd. Bonnar also cleaned out Hateley in the first half but stayed on the park.

Big shitey tried a full on stamp at someone, quiet word in his ear.

I was in the copland that night and i always remember when we scored seeing someone jump the west enclsure fence, getsured to the mentally challenged bench then jumped back in with yellow jackets everywhere.

1993 - Celtic fans had the Broomie and the Govan, they were jumping after Huistra got sent off right up until Hateley scored and shut them right up.

1928 - Rangers 7 (Fleming 3,McPhail 2,McMillan,Morton) Raith Rovers 1 - Scottish League Division One (16,000)

Jimmy Fleming records his first Hat Trick of the season.
Fleming would record Six Hat Tricks in the next three months.
16 Hat Tricks in two seasons 1927-29.
83 Goals in 83 Games.

1925 - Very poor crowd for such a servant.

In saying that, 'the meek' had only been with the club for six years at that point.

I'd like to think a benefit match ten years later would have had a more proper attendance.

1982 Davie Cooper was utterly unplayable that night. Typical that it wasn't televised as it would be a YouTube sensation.

1925 - Very poor crowd for such a servant.

In saying that, 'the meek' had only been with the club for six years at that point.

I'd like to think a benefit match ten years later would have had a more proper attendance.

I was going to ask why he got a Benefit Match so quickly.

1992 - I remember being in the old North Terrace for that one for some reason and a couple of things about the game. One was that it was a pretty good Rangers performance but the other is that the atmosphere was as flat as anything.

1993 - there was a proper scramble for tickets and I was delighted to get one for my usual spot in the Enclosure. My mate whose ticket was in the Govan Rear was with us and quite disgusted that he was looking across that stadium at some Bheggar sitting in his seat :D

2004 - I remember being on honeymoon and finding a computer in the lobby of a hotel in Thailand that allowed me to check the score and see a cracking free kick from Ricksen.

Love the facts about these games, The memories come flooding back about certain moments in every game I attended. More good than bad may I add.

2001 great 2nd half display, De Boer and Flo outstanding, Saturday evening game iirc.
In the Dundee Supporters club before the game, always welcoming to the Bears in there

93, in the EE that night, Durrant robbing shitey Galloway for the goal, Tims had the whole Govan that night

1990 Butcher OG and his last game for the club?
Mate of mine got his wallet dipped that day in the away end behind the goal

Back