One for the auld guys

Sitting watching “Now 70s” on one of the music channels and on comes a singer called Jackie Lee - now my 60s/70s knowledge isn’t bad but I can’t remember her at all. Anyhoo, she’s singing a song called “Rupert The Bear”. Did we sing “Tommy, Tommy McLean” to that tune or is senility even closer than I think?
We did indeed.

Sitting watching “Now 70s” on one of the music channels and on comes a singer called Jackie Lee - now my 60s/70s knowledge isn’t bad but I can’t remember her at all. Anyhoo, she’s singing a song called “Rupert The Bear”. Did we sing “Tommy, Tommy McLean” to that tune or is senility even closer than I think?
Saw the thread Bro clicked on and realised that it is relevant to me!!!
I am that Auld ‘yin!!

Nice one…we sure did sing it to Tommy McLean

Sang it to wee Calimero many times. Tam knew instinctively where big DJs heid was going to be and chipped over a pinpoint accurate cross more times than i had hot dinners. Couldny tackle to save his life though.

Wee Tommy McLean replaced Wee Wullie Henderson as a first pick.

I vaguely remember thinking at the time "Nae chance mate!". Took me a while to get used to the idea, turned out he was indeed the man to take up that position.

Wee Wullie was the better of the two mind.

Sang it to wee Calimero many times. Tam knew instinctively where big DJs heid was going to be and chipped over a pinpoint accurate cross more times than i had hot dinners. Couldny tackle to save his life though.
Great player and as you say, couldn't tackle and got pelters for it at times.

McLean must have had most assists in Scottish football in his prime - sublime crosser of the ball

Derek through the middle
Tommy on the wing
Tommy chips it over
And Derek nods it in

then it’s nice one Derek nice one son …….

Daily records, 1/2/1972
“Spew it out it “ today demanded City of Glasgow Police act following Rangers fans vile anti Irish Catholic singing of Rupert the Bear.
“ It is well known Rupert was the code name for a leading loyalist Figure” said Demonina Hoggmarty, a spokesperson for the charity…..” this has been corroborated by the well known Glasgow journalist Mal O’Dorous.

Wonder what FARE would construe from that?
I would like to point out, that I think all Bears would be absolutely furious, if anyone was to call them , Rupert. A mean come on boys, a bear called Rupert. You'll be telling me next that the
Hokey Cokey, is sectarian.

Funnily enough, was humming this tune the other day trying - and failing - to fit a current first teamer's name into it.

My first visit to Ibrox 1975, climbing the steps into the stand the first Rangers player I set my eyes on was Tommy McLean.
Still remember that moment clear as anything

Loved his goal against the unwashed at Ibrox when he ran from halfway line in the mud and rain to put ball away at scum end.Think 2 nd goal.

Remember one of the first games I went to as a kid, Tommy McLean was one of my favourite players, and some old guy near me spent most of the game shouting abuse at McLean. "Ya wee f***ing worm" over and over.

So he wasnt universally popular with the support.
He had a hard act to follow in Willie Henderson so he was really on a hiding to nothing with the support. He was a different player but our support wanted him to play like Henderson, he couldn't. Still, a very talented ball player all the same.

Back