One for the Statto haters

derbybear

Amongst all the negativity from Saturday there were a few statements about some aspects of the game and some of the players. I rewatched the whole game and these are my findings.

Our crossing is poor (true for some players) - I deem a good cross as one that goes into the danger area that isn't cleared by the first man and that a Rangers player either gets a touch or should have got a touch. 8 out of the 23 crosses could have led to goals. Tav had most crosses, 8 and also the most that could have led to a goal 4. Kent had 2 that hit the first man and Halliday 6 crosses that were no use.

We don't get our shots away (true to a certain extent) - there was 5 opportunities that didn't result in a shot at the goal. Davis twice passed when he could have shot, a couple of times in the box - Ojo and Aribo I think and Kent took an extra touch outside the box and lost the ball.

We don't shoot enough (false)- we had 8 attempts that were between the posts with the keeper only making two decent saves and letting in 3. King and 2 of OJO's efforts I could have saved. We had 17 shots/headers that didn't trouble the keeper. Hitting the bar or post is a missed target unless it rebounds into the net.
It isn't that we don't shoot enough we don't do it well enough.

Barker beat his man plenty of times - he had the ball 14 times - once he scored, twice he went past one player, once he lost the ball and 9 times he passed the ball to a team mate once giving it away. He therefore contributed well but he is hardly a Willie Johnson.

It was a shit game - the perception was that the second half was better is due to Livingston leaving their half more than a couple of times. If a team have 11 behind the ball the game slows down and people get bored.

It was a shit game - the perception was that the second half was better is due to Livingston leaving their half more than a couple of times
We definitely were a bit more adventurous in the second half, moved about more, tried more forward passes. We were a wee bit braver.

Is 8 out of 23 crosses leading to chances really that bad? Seems about average as most crosses in football are generally cleared/dealt with by the defenders.

We definitely had a few more efforts from further out in this game, Arfield's shot off the bar being the obvious one, which was pleasing. There's still room to ramp up the numbers in this department but it seems to be going in the right direction.

A few goals from distance or rebounds will hopefully boost the confidence enough for people to take more pot shots.

Is 8 out of 23 crosses leading to chances really that bad? Seems about average as most crosses in football are generally cleared/dealt with by the defenders.

If they all could cross like Tav we would have had at least 3 more chances. Halliday's 6 crosses came to nothing.

We only sprung into action after going 1-0 down.

Although that might be unfair on Gerrard. Perhaps it was his team talk at HT that done the trick.

It was a poor game but one massive notable difference is the change in attitude after going a goal behind compared to last season. We looked hungrier at 0-1 and started attacking with purpose, last year we were as powderpuff at 0-0 as we were at 0-1 at times.

Was very encouraging.

Amongst all the negativity from Saturday there were a few statements about some aspects of the game and some of the players. I rewatched the whole game and these are my findings.

Our crossing is poor (true for some players) - I deem a good cross as one that goes into the danger area that isn't cleared by the first man and that a Rangers player either gets a touch or should have got a touch. 8 out of the 23 crosses could have led to goals. Tav had most crosses, 8 and also the most that could have led to a goal 4. Kent had 2 that hit the first man and Halliday 6 crosses that were no use.

We don't get our shots away (true to a certain extent) - there was 5 opportunities that didn't result in a shot at the goal. Davis twice passed when he could have shot, a couple of times in the box - Ojo and Aribo I think and Kent took an extra touch outside the box and lost the ball.

We don't shoot enough (false)- we had 8 attempts that were between the posts with the keeper only making two decent saves and letting in 3. King and 2 of OJO's efforts I could have saved. We had 17 shots/headers that didn't trouble the keeper. Hitting the bar or post is a missed target unless it rebounds into the net.
It isn't that we don't shoot enough we don't do it well enough.

Barker beat his man plenty of times - he had the ball 14 times - once he scored, twice he went past one player, once he lost the ball and 9 times he passed the ball to a team mate once giving it away. He therefore contributed well but he is hardly a Willie Johnson.

It was a shit game - the perception was that the second half was better is due to Livingston leaving their half more than a couple of times. If a team have 11 behind the ball the game slows down and people get bored.
Please consider punctuation and grammar.

We only sprung into action after going 1-0 down.

Although that might be unfair on Gerrard. Perhaps it was his team talk at HT that done the trick.

Really?

‘we’ as a created some great chances in the first half that weren’t taken. We were in action, just not clinical in the first half.

How do Barker's stats compare to Kent's during the game? Obviously Barker scored and had a little longer on the field than Kent did, but I'd be interested in both their completed passes and dribbles, times they lost possession, etc. Not sure if that's readily available information or not.

How do Barker's stats compare to Kent's during the game? Obviously Barker scored and had a little longer on the field than Kent did, but I'd be interested in both their completed passes and dribbles, times they lost possession, etc. Not sure if that's readily available information or not.

Barker kept possession better. Kent beat more players but didn't create anything directly. Kent had 2 crosses that came to nothing Barker had one good and one bad.
Was watching for certain aspects rather doing a player v player comparison - maybe a game in the future.

Barker kept possession better. Kent beat more players but didn't create anything directly. Kent had 2 crosses that came to nothing Barker had one good and one bad.
Was watching for certain aspects rather doing a player v player comparison - maybe a game in the future.

Thanks for that, appreciate it. Sometimes the stats can be misleading as Kent was involved in the move where he beat a man, passed to Aribo who flicked it brilliantly to Morelos but he skied it over. Kent wouldn't have got the assist for that.

Thanks for that, appreciate it. Sometimes the stats can be misleading as Kent was involved in the move where he beat a man, passed to Aribo who flicked it brilliantly to Morelos but he skied it over. Kent wouldn't have got the assist for that.

Depends how far back an assist goes - McGregor is claiming 4 and the wee ball boy at the Broomloan 3.

Back