One More Player

Sign one and loan one in and well be done i reckon

Id say weve spent around 7 million so far. Theyll still be some to spend

I believe we've spent around £4.3m in transfer fees (Helander £3m, Edmundson 700k, Aribo 300k, Hastie 300k). That's only on transfer fees though and not including loan/signing on fees and the fact the wage budget has risen considerably.

I believe we've spent around £4.3m in transfer fees (Helander £3m, Edmundson 700k, Aribo 300k, Hastie 300k). That's only on transfer fees though and not including loan/signing on fees and the fact the wage budget has risen considerably.
Im including everything. The signing on fees for the ones that came in on a free would be around 3 million at least. Id say Aribo got a big signing on fee.
Its all part of the budget.

Last edited:
Kent or a similar type wide left player and we are good to go. I would be happy to go with Morelos, Defoe & Stewart as our 3 main strikers then see what January brings re Morelos.

As it stands it will be one. If a first team starter goes (Morelos, Tavernier etc) obviously they would be replaced.

On the striker issue:
1. Greg Stewart is more than capable of playing as a striker.
2. If you've watched any of our games since we changed formation at the back end of last season/this pre season, our front three have been much more fluid and interchangeable. We don't really play a 'rigid' old style number 9. Ojo, Morelos, Jones, Murphy, Candeias, Arfield, Hastie and Stewart have played across the middle at various points and will continue to do so.

I really think we have a good chance of getting Ryan Kent back. He wants to come here, the main issues for me are that we'd probably have to offload Jamie Murphy if he did come (even on a loan until January to get his fitness back), and I believe he only has a couple of years left on his Liverpool contract. Liverpool will obviously get more for him the further his contract is from expiry, unless his performances get even better next season.

The other signing would ideally (for me) be a number 10 who can ping the ball from edge of the box aswell as playing in others infront of him. It'd be good being able to have Davis/Jack & Aribo/Kamara and a 10 in front of them with 3 forwards when playing away to teams that are harder to break down.

Spurs have told Jansen and Rose to find new clubs. They’d fit the bill, crowd funding maybe, or any minted bears willing to dig deep ?

A striker is required an out n out goal scorer poacher if Defoe and Alfie are out, we don’t have a pedigree replacement at the moment imo.

If we do sign another striker, which I doubt, it's not going to be a high profile signing.

He'll be lucky to get more than 90 minutes of 1st team football, this side of Xmas, assuming Morelos and Defoe are still here.

Kent looks the most likely signing I think.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see another loan, if not Kent then another EPL player of similar quality.

He's absolutely right. Sign Ryan Kent and we're ready to go. People are saying we need another striker but Stewart seems capable of filling the 3rd choice role. We're a team who play one striker so it would be very hard to find a quality striker who is happy to be third choice. Any third choice striker is mostly likely going to be warming the bench for the vast majority of the season. I am amazed some are saying they'd rather have a third choice back up striker than Ryan Kent, if we are to make only one signing.
If you’re referring to my post directly above yours, I’d be wanting a decent striker who’s good in the air. The nice football is great but we need an option to mix it up.

The lads hardly a journeyman ffs he’s a bear who has worked his way to the top from the very bottom of the game.

Who needs enemies eh?

Clown.

Lafferty’s also played for a few more clubs than Stewart, since were using that as a stick to beat them with.

Would rather keep Lafferty than play a journeyman winger as our back up striker.

Mate, that is seriously harsh and disrespectful to Greg Stewart.

His "journeyman" goalscoring and assists stats at Killie, playing not as a winger, but in the "Arfield role" narrow behind the striker, would eclipse anyone in our squad, except Arfield himself.

Our 3rd choice striker last season, saw 90 minutes of action and that was only because Lafferty was cup tied and Morelos suspended.

If we do sign another striker, he will be more of a low key signing, with realistic ambitions of regular 1st team football.

I'm sure Gerrard said in an interview on RTV that the cost was £3.5m

My post was in response to another bear saying we wont spend 3 million on a striker mate.

Was just asking where the figure came from.

I dont think anyone is saying we will spend that amount on a 3rd choice striker, only that some of us think we do need another backup.

I think we will get Kent and one more and the level / value of player could depend on how we do in Europe and the finances available so it will be late on in the window before anything else is done

Last edited:
I think we will get Kent and one moe and the level / value of player could depend on how we do in Europe and the finances available so it will be late on in the window before anything else is done

If we sell out tonight + hopefully another 3 qualifiers then that could potentially help pay another transfer fee.

Stewart has been doing specific strikers training drills with Morelos and Defoe. You can see it on Defoe’s Instagram.

Gerrard will be using him as a striker

He may well be used on the very odd occasion as the 3rd choice striker mate, but I also see him getting some game time playing in the narrow right hand position behind the striker.

Especially if Arfield and Ojo are being rested.

He'll be a good option in there.

Hence why the manager said if anyone wants Morelos it better be soon as he won't be sold later in the window

I agree with this. Much will depend on the Alfie situation and whether he goes or not. If he does I believe we will re-invest the money in a quality striker and seeing how SG and MA have conducted business so far I would assume they have players in mind already. Even if Alfie doesn't go I believe we will strengthen hopefully with Ryan Kent but if not with another quality acquisition.

Stewart has been doing specific strikers training drills with Morelos and Defoe. You can see it on Defoe’s Instagram.

Gerrard will be using him as a striker

He played through the middle by himself quite a lot for Killie. He actually had a superb spell playing there in the first half of last season as anyone who watched Killie (which would have included Gerrard and our scouts) would know.

Its mental people will come on here and argue about things all day they don't have a clue about :D

He may well be used on the very odd occasion as the 3rd choice striker mate, but I also see him getting some game time playing in the narrow right hand position behind the striker.

Especially if Arfield and Ojo are being rested.

He'll be a good option in there.

Definitely.

Stewart has done all he can to be prepared physically for this season. He was told by Gerrard he’d need to get fitter and lose weight before he came in for preseason. He worked very hard, done extra work when still at Aberdeen and by the sounds of it has hit the ground running in training with us. I’ve every confidence in him for us in domestic games regardless of where he plays.

Definitely.

Stewart has done all he can to be prepared physically for this season. He was told by Gerrard he’d need to get fitter and lose weight before he came in for preseason. He worked very hard, done extra work when still at Aberdeen and by the sounds of it has hit the ground running in training with us. I’ve every confidence in him for us in domestic games regardless of where he plays.

His fitness levels in Portugal were very impressive.

Was almost on a par with Tav on the endurance runs.

Can see us spending a few million on a striker to replace lafferty and push Morelos and Defoe

Stewart through the middle will be better than Sadiq or Lafferty last season.

Morelos goes and we need to replace him. Whilst Defoe is still fit, I'm not sure he's a 40+ games a season striker at the intensity we will be playing.

I can't believe how cold some folk have gone on Kent. Bringing him back is still a priority for me.

I'm pretty sure he was involved in every goal against them last year bar Arfield's. He assisted Jack, scored in the 2-1 game and then won the free kick for Tav's opener (he also was pivotal in a move that nearly resulted in a goal just before half time).

They are petrified of him and rightly so. I'd love to see him and Ojo together.

When has he ever told the truth about our transfer aspirations? I am sure a few people on here knew about Filip Helander before it went public but they kept shtum. Prior to that we were hearing people needed shipped out first.

He definitely said £3m for Helander.
I could be wrong with the amout of figures being banded about, but thought I heard him say £3.5m and we were still looking at bringing in 2 more players, looked for the interview but couldn't(to lazy :cool:) find it

I could be wrong with the amout of figures being banded about, but thought I heard him say £3.5m and we were still looking at bringing in 2 more players, looked for the interview but couldn't(to lazy :cool:) find it

Gerrard definitely said £3 million in his interview mate.

I think the whole club would be buzzing if Kent is announced later in the window. He scares the life out of the mentally challengeds and it would be a huge boost.

Would give us endless options in those 2 positions either beside or behind the striker -
Ojo, Stewart, Candeais, Jones, Hastie, Arfield. Those players give us so many options on how me could set up. Either using wingers or playing off the striker.

And maybe Zak Rudden can recover from his injury and join the first team squad as an option rather than going on loan. A season learning from Defoe and Morelos might not be a bad thing for his development.

Reckon Kent in and another striker as I expect half a dozen mibby more to be out by August.

Problem is with signing another striker, how much game time will he get ? Can we afford to spend decent money on a guy who’ll only play if Morelos and Defoe aren’t available?

Any idea that Stewart’s coming here to play out wide is brain-dead.

He’s not got the pace to play out wide in this team. There’s obviously still a lot of people with sand in their fanny around his signing, but he’ll be filling in as striker/number ten when required.

Back