One reaps what one sows.

NewtonGer

There is no joy in pointing out that, in putting our faith in a dinosaur like Jim Traynor to defend our collective reputation, we are constantly being found wanting.

Statements, however nicely they are worded, are not action.

We have thrown away so many positions where we have held the moral high ground, that it almost beggars belief.

Consider what happened after the Hibs cup final. Rather than putting the victims front and centre for all to see, Jim launched an attack. The result: failure. We are the bad guys.

The extraordinary performances of referees? Statements, with no plan on how we might follow up with action. The result: failure.

The fight with the BBC. Lots of rhetoric with a, belated, intervention from the CEO. The result: failure.

The point is this. If your person in charge of communications is from a business where all that matters is the next days headline, then that is all that you will get. Output designed to generate a headline.

We need a serious player in charge. Someone who understands how to build a proper, determined campaign.

Until we do, we are at the whim of Jim Traynor's latest rage.

We need leadership. We cannot continue to devolve responsibly to Traynor. He simply isn't up to it.

The mhedia decide what is and isn't sectarian behaviour. They ignore Boyd being a victim of sectarian abuse, then they all can't find a seat quick enough to get onboard the Clarke bandwagon.

The mhedia decide what is and isn't sectarian behaviour. They ignore Boyd being a victim of sectarian abuse, then they all can't find a seat quick enough to get onboard the Clarke bandwagon.

Pish. It's our lack of ability to engage that allows that to happen.

It's amateur hour at Ibrox.

The fact DK wrote a statement and Traynor was not smart enough or never had enough remit to write one says a lot. PR dept needs a major shake up.

I'd prefer we done our talking on the park.
If we were 8 points clear at this stage this would all be an irrelevance.
Sad but true.

We could have the best in the business mate but if the papers don’t want t print it they won’t and if the tv don’t want to show it they won’t.

I've worked in the football/media business and this is just not the case. If we were better at this, we would see the results.

It's the fact that Traynor is in charge of our reputation that's the root cause of our problems. He is a dinosaur.

Is Traynor still working for us? I'd just assumed he must have meen punted. If so it's scandalous.

Sad but true.

True. Consider this, though. Had we been better on the park, would the attacks have been lessened? No. Of course not. We are just not set up to respond or to fight back.

Pish. It's our lack of ability to engage that allows that to happen.

It's amateur hour at Ibrox.

The sectarian hatred directed at Boyd at Rugby Park had nothing to do with Rangers, mate, so why would we as a club make a comment ?. It was for the mhedia, SFA and politicians to universally condemn it as they are doing now, which they didn't. Fast forward a few days and they all wring their hands about just how awful sectarianism is in Scottish society.

The sectarian hatred directed at Boyd at Rugby Park had nothing to do with Rangers, mate, so why would we as a club make a comment ?. It was for the mhedia, SFA and politicians to universally condemn it as they are doing now, which they didn't. Fast forward a few days and they all wring their hands about just how awful sectarianism is in Scottish society.

You don't make a comment. You've done the work in the months beforehand to have a series of media commentators lined up to comment on your behalf.

We are so far behind, it's disgraceful.

find it funny the animals causing trouble in europe again ,scottish media are all over the poor kilmarnock manger getting his feelings hurt .

It's easy to blame Traynor and his company - and they might well be to blame - but they would take instruction from Rangers, I would have thought. It's the same mindset that blames Stewart Robertson for not being more aggressive. We don't know Robertson's remit just as we don't know what Traynor is told by the club. It may well be they are failing but it's also possible the club does not have a PR strategy, of any real worth, and this is the result.

I thought there were rumours that Gilligan wanted to be more aggressive with the media but someone (King? the Board?) has to make that call.

It's easy to blame Traynor and his company - and they might well be to blame - but they would take instruction from Rangers, I would have thought. It's the same mindset that blames Stewart Robertson for not being more aggressive. We don't know Robertson's remit just as we don't know what Traynor is told by the club. It may well be they are failing but it's also possible the club does not have a PR strategy, of any real worth, and this is the result.

I thought there were rumours that Gilligan wanted to be more aggressive with the media but someone (King? the Board?) has to make that call.

A reasonable question to ask is: 'who is doing the advising and who is doing the deciding?'

Traynor was recruited by Charles Green and kept on by King for 4 years now.

I can only imagine King is happy with his efforts. Why else would he still be employed by the club?

I'm pretty sure nobody on here knows the full extent of what JT is contracted to do.
Have Rangers ever had good PR? It was awful when Jack Irvine did it, and it was awful with Keith Bishop Associates.
Does anyone know who might be a better PR option?

Traynor was recruited by Charles Green and kept on by King for 4 years now.

I can only imagine King is happy with his efforts. Why else would he still be employed by the club?

So, King is wrong. Our public image is disastrous.

So, King is wrong. Our public image is disastrous.

I wouldn't disagree. The reputational damage done to Rangers over the last 10 years or so alone has been significant. I would have thought that experienced business people would seek to minimise that or even counteract it but it does not seem that way. It's a strange one.

Since the 1960's, the club has been fighting a culture war in Scotland but has consistently brought a knife to a gunfight.

I've worked in the football/media business and this is just not the case. If we were better at this, we would see the results.

It's the fact that Traynor is in charge of our reputation that's the root cause of our problems. He is a dinosaur.
I’m not disagreeing with you about Traynor but when you have editing teams with agendas they tend not to push stories that don’t fit into theirs.

There is no joy in pointing out that, in putting our faith in a dinosaur like Jim Traynor to defend our collective reputation, we are constantly being found wanting.

We have thrown away so many positions where we have held the moral high ground, that it almost beggars belief.

Consider what happened after the Hibs cup final. Rather than putting the victims front and centre for all to see, Jim launched an attack. The result: failure. We are the bad guys.

The extraordinary performances of referees? Statements, with no plan on how we might follow up with action. The result: failure.

The fight with the BBC. Lots of rhetoric with a, belated, intervention from the CEO. The result: failure.

The point is this. If your person in charge of communications is from a business where all that matters is the next days headline, then that is all that you will get. Output designed to generate a headline.

We need a serious player in charge. Someone who understands how to build a proper, determined campaign.

We need leadership. We cannot continue to devolve responsibly to Traynor. He simply isn't up to it.
I have the utmost respect for Dave King and our board but I cannot for the life of me understand why they spend their good money and ours employing this man.

I’m not disagreeing with you about Traynor but when you have editing teams with agendas they tend not to push stories that don’t fit into theirs.
The power of MSM is getting less. To our peril we have ignored the rise of social media. Many opinions are now formed on the basis of this. Just look at what happened after the shenanigans in Valencia. Their “fans” were straight on twitter to set the narrative.

Good post. Agree 100%

Load of nonsense. It doesn’t matter what Traynor or anyone else for that matter writes it won’t stop the bbc,Clyde,the Record,theSun,the SFA,people like Clark,Walker,English,Spiers etc etc carrying out their vendetta .

Slightly off topic but there surely can't be another club in the world that pays a man who said their fans deserved a hiding.

The man is a cretin and it's astounding the club has anything to do with him.

Load of nonsense. It doesn’t matter what Traynor or anyone else for that matter writes it won’t stop the bbc,Clyde,the Record,theSun,the SFA,people like Clark,Walker,English,Spiers etc etc carrying out their vendetta .

An example tonight on RC to prove your point.

They had a clip of Clarke’s interview today when he talked about Scottish society needing to change from currently.

They then said after his quotation that he had been abused by Rangers fans at Ibrox on Wednesday. My point is, if he’s making a general point about the whole west of Scotland society, why not mention both Rangers & Celtic.

Spot on and you also add statements about Murdo MacLennan which seem to point to clear links to Celtic and he is still there. And of course the Effigies, how on earth did Traynor allow that to turn on us?

Unyil we grow a set of balls and become big bad Rangers, we will continue to be pumped like a St Pats youth. It’s that simple.

We could have the best in the business mate but if the papers don’t want t print it they won’t and if the tv don’t want to show it they won’t.
Then we need influence in the papers. Influence can be bought if not readily available through prejudice and bias.
Our brand and image is being damaged on a daily basis. We need a dew reporters/editors on side even if it costs. Additionally we need rotweiller solicitors on standby and a PR heavyweight such as Alistair Campbell but not necessarily him but of that ilk.
We need to stop pissing in the wind whilst Lliewell pisses all over us.

If we the fans continue to sing FTP etc etc, the club is wasting it's time issuing statements.

We can't even blame the schools in our case, unlike the unwashed.

Let's take the lead here and change our song sheet, we have plenty to choose from.

Sad but true.
If we don't have the written and broadcast media setting the agenda and pressurising the authorities to take action against our players, it would be much easier to do our talking on the park. The beasts from the east recognised this long ago and have benefited from it hugely. Also sad but true.

Back