One thing I haven’t seen discussed - our improvement in discipline

aghalee_hero

Official Ticketer
Just looked there, averaging exactly one card per match and not one red. What do we think has changed? No crowd pressure on refs? No crowd getting the blood of the players up? Or is it simply the case that the players are 100% focused on the task at hand? Or is it just a combination of all that.

Whatever the reason, we are benefiting hugely from having as many options on the bench as possible.

Undoubtedly there is less pressure from the crowd on referees. That for me was most evident in the first game of the season at Pittodrie.
As a consequence we are no longer getting as many ridiculous decisions which in time leads to bookings through player frustration.

Changes to our style of play. We have barely made a tackle this season, it's all about the press and forcing the opponents into mistakes in order to regain possession rather than taking it from them physically. Our one yellow was Kamara, I think, for a professional foul when we were being countered. I can't remember one full bloodied tackle all season because we no longer get ourselves in the position of having to make them.

I'd be interested to know the fouls committed stats and the ratio for cards to fouls so far. Pretty certain the 1st will be down considerably and the 2nd higher, as in more fouls committed per booking. Good post though OP, hadn't thought about it until reading your post.

Bottom of the table for red and yellow cards
Quite happy to be the worst in the league for that
Everything seems under control at the moment got to be happy with everything so far this season

bit of both. measured and controlled performance have undoubtedly made the biggest difference, but the lack of morons in the crowd screaming for morelos to be booked from his first foul in a game will have helped too.

It's something we can control and we've done something about it. Huge credit to the team. If refs were still out to get us, that number wouldn't have gone down. Well done to Gerrard and the players.

My son and I were discussing this the other day. We were discussing how disciplined the whole team have been this season, from the keeper out, and we got into the subject of a sheer lack of cards and no reds at all. I think a large part other than the coaching and guidance given by the coaching team is the lack of pressure on the ref’s from the stands to have our players carded or sent off

Everything just seems so controlled at the moment , no diving in , we also do seem to be learning to ‘foul’ further from our box. It’s what EPL teams do and tbh Killie , bringing someone down just in their half rarely gets you a booking and is no danger, professional if you like.

Previously we were all looking at who the referee was for the next game and dreading another biased decision against the likes of Alfie or Ryan Jack that would end up with a 1,2,3 match ban. That thought has disappeared from our minds nowadays because we are wiping the floor with teams week after week with wave after wave of superb attacking football and teams can’t lay a glove on us at the moment. Our ball retention is second to none this season and, as has been said in this thread, there’s no sheep or scum fans for example, pressurising the ref to show a red card to one of our players for the slightest thing. No fans is definitely helping referees officiate the game better which is allowing us to show what we are capable of but on the other hand I would love Ibrox to be full and rocking every second week to show our appreciation to the team for what they are delivering so far this season.

For the same reason we aren’t conceding goals. We are in total control of games. Our possession stats are at record highs, 71% against the third best team in the league last week. When the opposition have the ball they just aren’t able to cause us problems.

Rangers now have obviously have better players than opponents in Scotland.
They are confident in their abilties, and do not need to turn games into a war, or be dragged into one.

Last edited:
When Clancy gives a penalty at the Piggery for the away team , you wonder if you are in a dream !

Seriously , there has been concerted effort to 'keep the heid' !

Other than Alfie flicking out at Broon , cant think of any other incidents .

More controlled and disciplined in the tackling mostly, however I can't help thinking the refs are not trying please the home crowds as there are non.

AND personal errors....apart from Helander in Lisbon we've been far calmer and seen far fewer mistakes made. This is from same source of inner calm being produced by training staff...albeit I also agree that no fans is having impact too.

Listening to David Edgar on h&h and he was saying at the games if there is a disputed decision the player involved walks away and tav goes and has a word with the ref.which is the right way to do it
It should always be the case that only the captain speaks to the referee. It demonstrates control and respect. That respect is then noted and reciprocated by the officials.

Just looked there, averaging exactly one card per match and not one red. What do we think has changed? No crowd pressure on refs? No crowd getting the blood of the players up? Or is it simply the case that the players are 100% focused on the task at hand? Or is it just a combination of all that.

Whatever the reason, we are benefiting hugely from having as many options on the bench as possible.
Masonic referees and The Establishment trying to stop "The 10".

I think the lack of crowds probably has an impact. Less folk screaming at the ref to get a card out and think players react less than they would if a crowd was there as well. Would be interesting to see if other teams are impacted the same way.

Oh and of course the fact we don't let the opposition have much of the ball probably helps :)

0 bookings in 2 games v the Sheep is unheard of. Undoubtedly refs are feeling less pressured into booking Alfie just because a few hundred sheep start howling any time he goes near the ball.

Stole the words from me. Morelos while playing a different style and maybe being a bit less combative basically does not have a circus following his every touch and as a result refs just call it as they see it minus the crowd pressure. This also then reduces the frustration yellow cards we used to see from Morelos and others.

Hearts fan I know said he was laughing two years ago when Morelos fouled someone with an ankle clip inside 35 seconds and the guys around him at tynecastle wanted him red carded. He said it was like a panto where everyone knew who the ‘bad man’ was and they went mental at everything he did no matter what. That kind of noise and pressure will tell on a ref.

When you have a few players surrounding the referee it means they are out of position especially when the opposition takes a quick free kick

What is particularly impressive is our attitude . In the Falkirk game we were still pressing up to the final whistle still fighting for every ball . This is the Rangers I was brought up supporting and I am so proud WATP

We’ve been top notch in this regard and the exclusion of the baying mob of anti-British Rangers haters that awaits us at every ground has definitely had an affect on how we are refereed. We are building a team with a winning mentality and when fans return I do believe the players will harness this and continue even if the refereeing doesn’t.

Alfie playing a bit deeper means he's not getting involved in a 'battle' with a CB so he's not inviting cards from ref's bursting to issue one. We don't stand waiting for a ball, the movement is dynamic so we are being chased rather than chasing so we are much more likely to be fouled rather than foul.
Also leaves the CB's in doubt as to what they should actually be doing Vs what has been the norm the last few years. Vs the sheep was a great example, upto six big lads clogging up their box and not being effective.
Vs Killie their two thugs, dicker & power barely even had the opportunity to get close to make a foul, their not in contact so the 'clash' opportunity is removed.
As mentioned above only Kamara has been booked for a block to break up play, the fouls we otherwise give away are for minor events or a 13st 6'2" lump falling over for a touch that might knock over a child just learning to walk.

Last edited:
Stole the words from me. Morelos while playing a different style and maybe being a bit less combative basically does not have a circus following his every touch and as a result refs just call it as they see it minus the crowd pressure. This also then reduces the frustration yellow cards we used to see from Morelos and others.

Hearts fan I know said he was laughing two years ago when Morelos fouled someone with an ankle clip inside 35 seconds and the guys around him at tynecastle wanted him red carded. He said it was like a panto where everyone knew who the ‘bad man’ was and they went mental at everything he did no matter what. That kind of noise and pressure will tell on a ref.
You actually see some of that 'panto' behaviour from players in relation to Alfie, the Aberdoom & Hiv's lot are really obvious with it. Pathetic really.

Operation Stop The 10, we have referees on side giving our players a free reign to foul as much as we want and also give us as many penalties as possible. It's The Establishment stepping things up.

Changes to our style of play. We have barely made a tackle this season, it's all about the press and forcing the opponents into mistakes in order to regain possession rather than taking it from them physically. Our one yellow was Kamara, I think, for a professional foul when we were being countered. I can't remember one full bloodied tackle all season because we no longer get ourselves in the position of having to make them.

I'd be interested to know the fouls committed stats and the ratio for cards to fouls so far. Pretty certain the 1st will be down considerably and the 2nd higher, as in more fouls committed per booking. Good post though OP, hadn't thought about it until reading your post.
I was saying that the other day, there no sliding tackles and few last ditch tackles, it’s all about keeping shape and pressing the opposition.

On a side note Power of Kilmarnock unsurprisingly has 7 yellows in 10 games, Broon has 5 this season, which amazes me, when did the refs grow a pair?

The lack of a crowd roaring and the impact of that on referees must have an impact generally - the referees have appeared to be motivated by crowd calls for years when it comes to issuing cards (or not!).

I think Rangers’ discipline in terms of fouls & retaliation, as well as tactical discipline has improved a lot since last season and the one before.

Back