Online subscription service DAZN in running for UK Champions League Rights 2021-2024

How long do you think it will be before they stop scheduled broadcasting and everything is on demand?

My kid is 5 and doesn't understand the concept of scheduled TV. Everything is on demand via iPlayer, Netflix, youtube etc.

The poster earlier made the point about the younger generation, they prefer an app based interface to a TV concept and the people spending money on Sky and the like will only ever regress from here.

Reactions: Ter
I was raging when BT got the Champions League coverage but their coverage has been class and I knew I needed BT for some of our league and cup games anyway

I was raging when BT got the Champions League coverage but their coverage has been class and I knew I needed BT for some of our league and cup games anyway

Thankfully I don't pay directly for bt sport through virgin on the big package so don't mind it just the same

Plus I watch the ufc on it and some college American football

The problem being if these boys get the CL BT could still keep the europa league

I pay $150 for it here in Canada. Really good service to be honest.

All EPL games, Champions and Europa League games, Serie A, all NFL games and other stuff like boxing, etc.

Have the app on my TV for it but easily cast on to a TV and I also get it on all my devices (phone, Ipad, laptop, etc).

Picture quality is excellent.

I was very wary of DAZN but have found it to be worth the money for sure.

could you vpn the use of it from the uk?

would you need an address in North America to get this deal??

To get into the market, you have to pay major money for the 2 biggest subscriber drivers. EPL and Champions League.

With the threat of other companies such as Google, Apple, Amazon and DAZN potentially coming into the marketplace, Sky and BT are on very good terms. Both realise they need to work together to protect their position. Sky have the major EPL rights with BT going all out for the Champions League rights. Both have retained the major of their subscribers even when losing rights of other leagues.

DAZN have major money, however these stories always get leaked around renewal time. It's almost like UEFA want to force the bids up.

The Associated Press has learned the rights to broadcast Champions League soccer games in Britain have been retained by BT Sport.

A person familiar with the three-year deal told The Associated Press that BT will continue to show every game live and air highlights for three seasons from 2021-2024.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the deal ahead of an official announcement.

The deal is not worth less than the 1.2 billion pounds ($1.5 billion) that BT paid for the 2018-2021 rights. Precise details of the finances were not available.

BT and UEFA declined comment.

It means games in European soccer’s elite competition in Britain will remain on subscription television, although BT has made the final available free.

BT faced opposition from satellite broadcaster Sky, which was bought last year by American telecommunications conglomerate Comcast and was trying to regain rights it held until 2015. Free-to-air channel ITV was also exploring regaining rights, having shown one game per round until 2015.

I'd be happy if I could just pay for the games I want to see. That's the only way I'd consider getting TV back in my house. The thought of paying a fortune each month and nearly all the money going to bastards like Man U/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal sickens sickens me almost as much as the bias of the BBC.

Comes as no surprise

While this just for the Champions League they still have to announce who have secure UEFA Europa League and the new 3rd tournament UEFA Conference League rights

The quoted £1.2bn is what BT paid for both Champions League and Europa League rights 2018-2021

Last edited:
Comes as no surprise

While this just for the Champions League they still have to announce who have secure UEFA Europa League and the new 3rd tournament UEFA Conference League rights

The quoted £1.2bn is what BT paid for both Champions League and Europa League rights 2018-2021
Do you know (I know you know ;)) the split for each tournament? Given the differences in prize money I'd imagine it's very, very heavily weighted towards UCL.

Get all these things to %^*&.

An absolute EU clusterfuck this entire thing. There was no need to break up Sky's dominance, it was good for the consumer, in spite of the bullshit they peddled about lack of competition. Where it used to cost one subscription to watch all the football, you're now at about 5. Absolute pish.

Do you know (I know you know ;)) the split for each tournament? Given the differences in prize money I'd imagine it's very, very heavily weighted towards UCL.

Yes it is heavily weighted towards the Champions League, the Europa League is still the poorer one for both prize money & TV money

I don't know the what the actual split

Spotify stopped people downloading music and Netflix/Prime probably stopped a lot of people pirating film and television. Something like this could become a Spotify of sport.

For a tenner a month people won't really bother pirating, but this will cost more and therefore people will. There were illegal streams of 11 and it was only a tenner a month as well.

If they want to show online, fine, but there should ALWAYS be a traditional broadcast for those who want to be guaranteed to watch it without buffering/internet issues. Yes I realise most don't have them issues but many people don't have decent internet.

Last edited:
Another one that will go bust shortly after shelling out an imaginary fortune. What happened to Eleven Sports? Are they still going? They had the UFC rights and the plug got pulled a day before it was due to start

An absolute EU clusterfuck this entire thing. There was no need to break up Sky's dominance, it was good for the consumer, in spite of the bullshit they peddled about lack of competition. Where it used to cost one subscription to watch all the football, you're now at about 5. Absolute pish.

Very true, complete pain in the neck now. A lot of people won’t really realise till Boxing Day what a pain in the arse this Amazon deal is for Premier League watchers.

Even if you removed the competition laws, Sky would still be going the way of the dodo. All that would happen is another big company such as Google or Amazon would outmuscle them and buy up all the rights.

Despite having apps on their set top boxes and on-demand boxsets, Sky's model is still very much rooted in the traditional concept of TV channels. Aside from an ever increasing number of older viewers (and even then more of them are becoming accustomed to the watch what you want when you want model) this isn't what consumers want anymore.

You just have to look at their half-arsed NowTV platform (which still only streams at 720p) to see that Sky are very reluctant to move with the times. In this day and age there should be no need for someone with a decent Internet connection to have to receive any physical equipment such as a set-top box (or even worse a satellite) just to receive TV. They should be able to do it purely by downloading the app and entering their payment details.

Sporting events enjoy a certain privilege in that the majority of viewers want to watch them live, but even then people might want to watch an event from the start even if they miss the first 20 minutes, or watch an event in full immediately after it's finished being broadcast. DVR might help, but in most cases they still require users to record the event in advance rather than just being able to watch any moment at will.

I just can't afford to pay 60/70 a month to sky, and then 20 odd for BT as well as amazon prime /netflix etc. It's too much.

Me neither, so i just pay for Netflix and Rangers TV.

I get why IPTV is attractive but as none of the money actually goes to Sky, BT, etc., then if everyone switches to IPTV, nobody gets anything at all as the companies will go out of business.

£35 a month for BT sport? I can get it for £18 on virgin I believe.
Sky customers get shafted big time. They are partnering up in 2020 to make it part of a Sky sub though so hopefully works out better. You can probably get it even cheaper on Virgin. When I had Virgin it was included in my package.

Back