Only 1 point more than this time last season.

General discussion in recent weeks has me thinking most people have actually forgotten how well we played till December last season. Decent consistency in the league, excellent euro results. It was all there, and that’s why I refuse to get carried away early this season.

The major difference is the scum seem to be going back the way. Long may it continue.

Surprising stat . We seem more in control of the games compare+with last season but as the OP pointed out we have a really strong bench this time
This is great for 2 reasons. Firstly it allows us to make substitutions or rotations with little, if any, drop-off in quality and secondly, it keeps the pressure on for players to stay in the team, thus raising the ante.

General discussion in recent weeks has me thinking most people have actually forgotten how well we played till December last season. Decent consistency in the league, excellent euro results. It was all there, and that’s why I refuse to get carried away early this season.

The major difference is the scum seem to be going back the way. Long may it continue.
I do think our squad being stronger this year is a big factor though, as well as the mentally challengeds regressing.

Caution, as you say, is required but with having the likes of Roofe and Itten, we won’t be caught out as we were in January with Morelos suspended and Defoe injured.

Equally injuries in defence or midfield (or issues with form in those areas) can be hopefully mitigated by having the likes of Balogun and Zungu, this time around.

I do think our squad being stronger this year is a big factor though, as well as the mentally challengeds regressing.

Caution, as you say, is required but with having the likes of Roofe and Itten, we won’t be caught out as we were in January with Morelos suspended and Defoe injured.

Equally injuries in defence or midfield (or issues with form in those areas) can be hopefully mitigated by having the likes of Balogun and Zungu, this time around.
Agreed. I think it’s the squad depth that should see us avoid the same collapse this time round. So far our squad depth is looking fairly impressive, our bench today was proof enough.

Bit of a myth here about last season with the suggestion we were scraping through games.

5-0 at home to the Sheep, Hamilton and Hearts. 4-0 up at Ross County. 6-1 against Hibs at Ibrox.

Actually thought we were better to watch at this point last year but I’d agree we look more ‘controlled’ this year plus we’ve a win over Celtic in the bank.
Aye. In a sense, the fact we aren’t playing as well as last season but having more points in the table encourages me more. Shows we are in more of a position to properly challenge

Agreed. I think it’s the squad depth that should see us avoid the same collapse this time round. So far our squad depth is looking fairly impressive, our bench today was proof enough.
Hopefully Celtc can continue to drop points and take some of the pressure off a little bit. I would prefer that to a right run race, given their experience (although I do think we now have the stronger squad).

Next Sunday is a big test

That pitch and an organised Killie team littered with mentally challengeds will not be easy

Team will definitely have to raise their game next week

Yes today we didn’t have a lot of scares apart from the one first half that Goldson knocked onto the post

Let’s hope we get the 3 points and build up a lead

Big difference from last year is that we have a squad now. Plus, there’s a confidence that hasn’t existed since 2010.

It’s happening this year.

The 2 points dropped at Hibs due to dodgy refereeing at an offside goal would have put us in a really strong position already today.

Brown has been such an influence on them over the years, i have always said that his decline will mirror theirs, and it looks like that is exactly what is occurring.
He has never been a great player but his ability to drag them through is imo unquestioned.

I’m pretty sure last season we scraped quite a few games, last min goals, this year we look so comfortable
Absolutely this,we scored a few late goals and scraped by some games last season.
This season we seem to be controlling games and indeed,cruising somewhat a lot of the time.

The gaffer refers to game management and that itself is very impressive.

I just posted on another thread.

W10 W10
L1 L0
D1 D2

GD GD
F-35 F-28
A-7 A-3

PTS PTS
31 32

I actually think we should of been further ahead this time last season as we should of beat Hibs in the 2-2 draw last season.

I'm more optimistic this season

For us to have a chance of winning the league, we had to hope they dropped off

They have, for me the only team who stop us winning this league this season is ours, we are the best side in this league, up to us to keep going and hope they keep regressing

Interesting you mention up to December. That is when the cracks appeared. From memory, we started dropping more points and went into the 29th on the back of some indifferent performances and results. To the point FF was toxic in the lead up and very few on here were confident going into the game, stating the league was done etc if we lost it.

Difference is we had a run of tough away fixtures preceding it, this season we've played them already and only dropped 4 points on the road, 2 of them unjustly due to an offside equaliser. We have beaten Celtic convincingly, gained a lead and haven't gifted it straight back as we have been prone to doing the previous 2 seasons. We now also have the run of tougher teams at home and the 'easier' away games whilst they have all the tougher away games. During the equivalent fixtures last season we only lost once, at home to them.

During the first quarter alone we've lost Katic for the season with Barisic, Helander, Jack, Aribo, Roofe, Itten, Defoe, Barker and McGregor all missing for various periods due to injury and barely been affected by it. We are conceding far fewer chances, any individual mistakes are not being as harshly punished (luck does play a part in title wins) and all areas of the pitch are contributing goals or assists instead of an over reliance on morelos to be on his game, or simply just available, as we were last year.

I see so much improvement in our team, squad, game management, rotation, tactics and overall play this year, combined with the regression in theirs, that I can't help but feel over excited. I salute and envy your ability to remain calm. :)

One big difference is our defence. We look really solid. If we score, we just don't look like losing a game. We've also had some really hard away games already. If we can get a win next week, it heaps lots of pressure on celtic - their next few games in the league are Motherwell and Hibs away. Game at a time, focus on ourselves and BELIEVE. We can do this!!

You can draw parallels with last season’s start but this season:

We are spreading goals across the team, not just Alfie
We are absolutely sold defensively
The depth of the squad is 10x that of last year’s

Next week is HUGE for us. It has been a tricky game in the past and is a massive test for our mentality. Last season, any time we had any sort of advantage we would f*ck it up and could not sustain being top of the league for more than a week. If we can get the 3 points at Killie, then the team will have proved they can cope with being at the summit, and the only way is up.

Was surprised at that to be honest, thought it was a few more?
A points a point so it’s an improvement and we have more strength and depth.
Hopefully we can continue this run, but to be able to leave the likes of Barisic, Morelos and Kamara on the bench without bringing them on is huge as players with inevitably get tired, think Kent could have done with a rest but hey - Gerrard knows best.

Great weekend
WATP

Off the top of my head, we had an easier run of fixtures. celtic aberdeen and hibs all at home, this year away. Don't think we'd played livi away yet at this stage either. We started well last season for sure though.

Also, context. If we have the same points, or fewer, but are clear of our rivals, it suggests the standard beneath us has improved. Each season on its own merits

Today for me showed how we have learned on how to beat a low block -parked bus, the front 4 all moved the Livi back 5-6 around so much that they couldn’t stay in their normal formation & block us out. Big test next week v killie will tell us imo how our season will shape up against the low block-parked bus teams.
That seems a fair post re Ibrox , where it could be questioned as yet to be proven is away fixtures on plastic .

Livingston eg , and we have to quash Kilmarnock next weekend so I can see why many posters are making a point on that being a benchmark of sorts.

as another poster said , one game at a time is our approach

Bit of a myth here about last season with the suggestion we were scraping through games.

5-0 at home to the Sheep, Hamilton and Hearts. 4-0 up at Ross County. 6-1 against Hibs at Ibrox.

Actually thought we were better to watch at this point last year but I’d agree we look more ‘controlled’ this year plus we’ve a win over Celtic in the bank.
This is more what I meant last year we were giving chances away even if we ended the fans convincing winners this year i don't think we have got peak form yet but our control in games is such that we seem to be better.

The best comparison is that we are very smith like in that we are going to get the points nothing else matters.

We will get better I think as the year goes on

It wasn’t the start that killed us last year. It was what occurred after New Year. If we work out how that happened and learn from it we will be better placed. We’ve a stronger squad and the tramps are getting found out this season.

For me what occurred last year was we were physically and mentally zapped come January . And no wonder . All those European matches plus the domestic plus disciplinary plus officials plus injuries plus form was a gigantic set of challenges we done extremely well to conquer - until that point .

what we believe we now have is a squad where rotation and resilience will be majorly improved allowing us to avoid over exposing players not only this calendar year but in the second half of the season.

it would help If those other factors were more favourable to us too .

let’s all pull in the same direction and see what we can do .

stay strong

Major difference is the strength of the squad and the options upfront as we can afford to not play morelos and win comfortably, last season the game against hearts sticks out when morelos was out and we played greg stewart up front, now we have roofe, itten and defoe

Interesting you mention up to December. That is when the cracks appeared. From memory, we started dropping more points and went into the 29th on the back of some indifferent performances and results. To the point FF was toxic in the lead up and very few on here were confident going into the game, stating the league was done etc if we lost it.

Difference is we had a run of tough away fixtures preceding it, this season we've played them already and only dropped 4 points on the road, 2 of them unjustly due to an offside equaliser. We have beaten Celtic convincingly, gained a lead and haven't gifted it straight back as we have been prone to doing the previous 2 seasons. We now also have the run of tougher teams at home and the 'easier' away games whilst they have all the tougher away games. During the equivalent fixtures last season we only lost once, at home to them.

During the first quarter alone we've lost Katic for the season with Barisic, Helander, Jack, Aribo, Roofe, Itten, Defoe, Barker and McGregor all missing for various periods due to injury and barely been affected by it. We are conceding far fewer chances, any individual mistakes are not being as harshly punished (luck does play a part in title wins) and all areas of the pitch are contributing goals or assists instead of an over reliance on morelos to be on his game, or simply just available, as we were last year.

I see so much improvement in our team, squad, game management, rotation, tactics and overall play this year, combined with the regression in theirs, that I can't help but feel over excited. I salute and envy your ability to remain calm. :)

I don’t think this is strictly true. We did go 3 games without a win: Aberdeen away (4th Dec), Celtic cup final (8th Dec), and Young Boys home (12th Dec) so there was probably some doubts creeping in like you say but then we went on a great run. We beat Motherwell away 2-0, Hibs away 3-0, Kilmarnock at home 1-0 then the poets 2-1. I may have missed a game somewhere in between and the dates might not be accurate as all from memory.
I’d say we were still in great form and like the previous poster, because of this I don’t want to get too excited just yet. This year our squad is much better though and that makes a huge difference. As others have said also, they are 1 more defeat away from equalling the amount of points they dropped last season so that’s also encouraging.

Take a step back, the win at the midden is the difference so far. We have both drawn 2. Their game v St Mirren in hand.
While we have been solid and untroubled, realistically it’s still tight.
They look all over the place and scrambled victories in league, their Euro results are clouding our vision of domestic issues.

Thats why IMO we deal with each domestic game as it comes. Piling on the pressure as we go.

Lennon has NEVER won a league without some outside influences, EVER! This is what convinced me we can do it this season. Even playing field
The only season it’s ever been close for him at Celtic - 2010-11 - he blew it.

2011-12 - the wheels were well and truly off for us with off the field matters
2012-13 - no challenge
2013-14 - no challenge
2018-19- we had blown it long before he came back and in truth, weren’t good enough to properly compete
2019-20 - given the title

He can clearly win when he’s got a lot of margin for error, but I think he’ll implode with the pressure of a strong title challenge.

We've got the strength in the squad now that we didn't have last season, whether it was a mental thing or fatigue last season (or a combination of both) we don't know. But now, if one player is having a dip in form we have others ready to step in - that's going to be the difference this year

It does seem that our manager & coaching team have progressed too DZ.

Nice subtle little shape changes have made us less predictable, as well as obviously the deeper squad giving us something different for opposition to cope with.

It does seem that our manager & coaching team have progressed too DZ.

Nice subtle little shape changes have made us less predictable, as well as obviously the deeper squad giving us something different for opposition to cope with.
I liked the way we seemed to draw Livi out a bit yesterday which allowed us to get in behind.
Hopefully that works again next week. Miss being in my CD seat to better see whats happening.

When we've only dropped 4 points, it's a bit difficult to improve on last season, this is as good a start as any team could ask for. We look far better this year though, our defence is solid so far, we've got goals from multiple positions, and there isn't really anyone who drops out without a strong replacement. And of course, the mentally challengeds look like a shell of their former self. Week by week the Rodgers affect has worn off and Lennon's influence(or lack of influence) becomes more apparent. We've also had a harder start to the season and coped fine. They've had home games for any decent team and have struggled, they now go in to a run of playing everyone they struggle against away from home, when they look done. Their form probably will pick up, but it feels like this Rangers team would relish that challenge now. This is the best position we've been in in a decade, but there's a long way to go.

I liked the way we seemed to draw Livi out a bit yesterday which allowed us to get in behind.
Hopefully that works again next week. Miss being in my CD seat to better see whats happening.

Agree Gogso.

It’s a bummer not being there & being able to support them mate.

That last minute goal that Aberdeen scored may be a significant moment in the season, I must admit when they went 3-2 up I thought here we go again they have a pulled a result off again against the odds, just the type of victory that would have sent them off on a run of wins. However now we have our noses in front we must keep winning ourselves and apply max pressure. Killie is a massive game for us.

last season went quite well until the winter break. i'm loving all the banter online with the tims but it is also giving me the fear. I need to have more faith i think but you can't blame me after what we have all been through!!

Take a step back, the win at the midden is the difference so far. We have both drawn 2. Their game v St Mirren in hand.
While we have been solid and untroubled, realistically it’s still tight.
They look all over the place and scrambled victories in league, their Euro results are clouding our vision of domestic issues.

Thats why IMO we deal with each domestic game as it comes. Piling on the pressure as we go.
Their game in hand is v the Sheep, they’ve already played St Mirren.

I'd be interested to see goals for/against and the number of clean-sheets if anyone has those numbers. We had an amazing first few months of the season last year, so even though it's only 1 point better off its 1 point more than an already great tally so I'm happy enough with that.

I'm lapping it all up at the moment but all bears should have last season's post-Christmas form in the back of their mind because until we see how we are in January, we don't know if we've beaten the slump this season.

That seems a fair post re Ibrox , where it could be questioned as yet to be proven is away fixtures on plastic .

Livingston eg , and we have to quash Kilmarnock next weekend so I can see why many posters are making a point on that being a benchmark of sorts.

as another poster said , one game at a time is our approach
Yup definitely agree & this is where we will find out if all the hard yards that have been put in work, A big test of this teams ability to do it away from home & do they have the bottle to be confident to carry the plan out when under pressure esp away from home. One game at a time is a sensible approach from fans & the management team.

I agree. But last season we were too reliant on our starting 11, and we had bad luck in terms of their availability.

We had only dropped 2 points all season in games both Tavernier and Barisic had started in up until April when we lost to Hamilton.

We didn’t lose a single game Helander played in (W7, D1). Losing him was a hammer blow.

Flanagan, Halliday, Polster, Katic etc weren’t at the level of those players and that took its toll.

Better luck with injuries would go a long way, but I also have more faith in our bench this season.

We are definately playing to our strengths this season and look excellent all over the pitch,i have a great feeling about this season and reckon we could be double figures ahead come christmas!!

A few on here could have sucked the Oxygen out of the Grenfell fire.
Exactly that, my mate texts me throughout every game even though he knows i wont answer him lol massive Rangers fan for over 50 years but doesn't matter what the score is he will find a fault somewhere. Since the start of the season his hit list has went Kent,Goldson,Tavernier,Morelos,Jack and latest victim for him is Hagi i just don't get it. If he wasn't one of my best mates I think I would tell him to fvck off

Back