Only alleged anti-Catholicism creates a tsunami of sectarian headlines in Scottish football

muttley

The disparity in articles and public comment between Boyd and Clarke is really quite staggering and telling regarding the issue of sectarianism in Scottish football. The endless empathy and support heaped on Clarke from the mhedia and politicians, while only the referencing in passing as a side issue the anti-Protestant bigotry directed at Boyd is quite revealing as to " modern Scotland".

Last edited:
When our support/manager/players are subjected to either racist or sectarian abuse, it's always a 1-day wonder and not one MP or MSP says anything but anything to do with the tramps and they are trampling over each other to comment.

In the last week, there has been Boyd subjected to sectarian abuse and Jimmy Bell but Clarke is more important than a video with a small Child being encouraged to sing a sick sectarian song about wanting Jimmy bell to die!

This is the corrupt country we live in.

You have to look at the politicians, the police and the msm to see why this has been going on for so long. Rancid to the core

Ira songs sung every week, hooliganism. All done by "football fans". How would the press report it if an MSP wore a Rangers top to Holyrood, or used their official twitter to poke fun at their their rival? Would the Labour leader insult celtc in the chamber if they were going through financial difficulties?

It's one sided all right, and the bigots are calling the shots

We are subjected to sectarian abuse every home match from opposing fans and nobody could care less.
Not doubting what you say as I sit a distance away from the away fans in the Sandy Jardine, so don't hear much from the away fans.What would you constitute as .sectarian abuse,bearing in mind that only 15% of the population identify as RC,so the likely hood is that figure would be replicated in the away fans with the obvious exception of Celtic and possibly hivs

Not doubting what you say as I sit a distance away from the away fans in the Sandy Jardine, so don't hear much from the away fans.What would you constitute as .sectarian abuse,bearing in mind that only 15% of the population identify as RC,so the likely hood is that figure would be replicated in the away fans with the obvious exception of Celtic and possibly hivs

When we are being sung to that we are "orange bast*rds" and huns then that's sectarian to me and I would suggest most people

You have to look at the politicians, the police and the msm to see why this has been going on for so long. Rancid to the core

Ira songs sung every week, hooliganism. All done by "football fans". How would the press report it if an MSP wore a Rangers top to Holyrood, or used their official twitter to poke fun at their their rival? Would the Labour leader insult celtc in the chamber if they were going through financial difficulties?

It's one sided all right, and the bigots are calling the shots

Give it a couple of weeks and the Boyd incident will never have happened.

Here's a concrete example from Roddy Forsyth in today's Telegraph Sport section. Here's what he wrote.
"Boyd was the subject of sectarian ridicule by the Celtic support"
"Clarke at Ibrox, where patrons of the Family stand advised him that he was 'a sad 19th Century Terrorist b------".
So, in Forsyth's version, KB really only was mocked by their support, he doesn't feel the need to mention what was chanted, essentially it was simply just a piss-take with unspecified sectarianism somewhere in there.
Despite the insult to SC being the exact same however, the exact same tune and words used about Boyd, sleekit Forsyth begins by inferring that the Kilmarnock manager was targeted by parents and children at Ibrox. Then, to ensure that the full horror of Clarke's specific ordeal is not glossed over (you know, e.g. taken as just a pish-take), Roddy carefully details us every word of the chant as though it was unique to SC.
Why would a fair and balanced reporter do this? Why wouldn't he simply say 'both men were subject to the identical insult'? Why use different wording for the exact same chant?
The mhedia aren't interested in combatting sectarianism unless it suits their own bigotry.

When we are being sung to that we are "orange bast*rds" and huns then that's sectarian to me and I would suggest most people

This! Michael Stewart and Dick Gordon on Sportsound earlier saying it's a Glasgow problem. Gordon says he never experienced anything in the North East.

Well Richard, as a Rangers fan from and still living in the North East I receive sectarian slurs near daily, the problem is many of them are just ignorant and don't realise what they are saying is wrong and this is down to you and your colleagues who have not only refused to condem certain phrases or words but used these bigoted words towards Rangers fans in the past, they believe it's ok.

Many stop when you tell them what they doing wrong but many dont, they don't care as nobody gives a shite when directed towards Rangers fans and this all steams down to the BBC and other media making it so.

From now on I take it further everytime I am called anything remotely offensive, like Boyd said it was water of a ducks back, not any longer.

I sit in the Sandy Jardine stand too towards the Copland end and surprised you have not heard the sectarian abuse from most but not all away fans. I am really surprised at that.
I dont know mate maybe I've just been concentrating on the game.Ive been going to Ibrox for 50 years and never heard any sectarian songs against us apart from them and hivs.Im not doubting a fellow bear but it does seem odd that 85% of away fans are non RC and are singing about us being obs

I dont know mate maybe I've just been concentrating on the game.Ive been going to Ibrox for 50 years and never heard any sectarian songs against us apart from them and hivs.Im not doubting a fellow bear but it does seem odd that 85% of away fans are non RC and are singing about us being obs

Never heard them singing about us being huns?

I have been going for over 50 years too mate and just one example I give you is the Sheep. I have no doubt you have not heard it and do not disbelieve you but I have despite concentrating on the game too.

I have been going for over 50 years too mate and just one example I give you is the Sheep. I have no doubt you have not heard it and do not disbelieve you but I have despite concentrating on the game too.
No problem mate,the sheep are scum and I will try and remember to listen out for that,but basically they are I relevant.

This! Michael Stewart and Dick Gordon on Sportsound earlier saying it's a Glasgow problem. Gordon says he never experienced anything in the North East.

Well Richard, as a Rangers fan from and still living in the North East I receive sectarian slurs near daily, the problem is many of them are just ignorant and don't realise what they are saying is wrong and this is down to you and your colleagues who have not only refused to condem certain phrases or words but used these bigoted words towards Rangers fans in the past, they believe it's ok.

Many stop when you tell them what they doing wrong but many dont, they don't care as nobody gives a shite when directed towards Rangers fans and this all steams down to the BBC and other media making it so.

From now on I take it further everytime I am called anything remotely offensive, like Boyd said it was water of a ducks back, not any longer.

Keep fighting the northern frontier mate ;)

I don't believe only 15% of the population is RC. When is this from? How many Polish people live in Scotland now?

15% of 6M is 900K. Nothing to do with football but I thought I'd ask.

I don't believe only 15% of the population is RC. When is this from? How many Polish people live in Scotland now?

It’s around 15% according to censuses. Within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow RCs constitute anywhere between 30-50% of the population. Outside that radius, the percentage drops dramatically.

Coming from the West of Scotland you get the impression they are more significant than they really are.

It's easy enough to check mate,their is a disproportionate number live around the Greater Glasgow and Lanarkshire area.Interestingly only around 20% attend church.The Republic of Ireland has also seen a large drop in numbers as has the Church of Scotland in recent years.
So there is a decent chance that the ones shouting dobs or fbs never set foot over the doors of their respective Churches.

Back