Open Goal Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like Open Goal. It's not a serious football discussion podcast though that some of you seem to assume it is. I get that you might not find it funny but I like to stick it on in the background whilst I work as it is light hearted and there is no pretence put on about what the show is. It does not make you super staunch to come in this thread every time it is on and running it down. Just ignore it if you think it is so bad.

Yes, it's excellent. Ferry is brilliant, he's like another McCoist with his quick wit and sense of humour. Could probably forge a half decent pundit career if he went for it.
Ferry comes across as a decent enough boy but for someone who has played the game his knowledge on football is pretty poor.

He actually said the other night that Celtic "need to play Griffiths up against Helander".

Where do you even begin with that. Helander may lack lightening pace but this is a 27 year old full international who has played in Serie A, Griffiths is a jakeball who is in and out of squads and hasn't scored against Rangers in 4 years and has never scored against a decent Rangers side for Celtic. He is also washed up at only 30 years of age.

So with that in mind, a punditry gig on Sportscene probably beckons

I really enjoy the show. It's not the place to be if you want a detailed and thorough analysis of football but it's a cracking laugh. Just a few boys who are mates and have happened to play the game but they are all like us deep down with the only difference being what team they support.

What the f*ck is the deal with big Kyle's pronunciation of ''e's''? That was a stone wall ''pinalty''...

Wtf!? B-)

Galloway Irish. Stranraer folk all sound like that. “Sultic”

Ferry comes across as a decent enough boy but for someone who has played the game his knowledge on football is pretty poor.

He actually said the other night that Celtic "need to play Griffiths up against Helander".

Where do you even begin with that. Helander may lack lightening pace but this is a 27 year old full international who has played in Serie A, Griffiths is a jakeball who is in and out of squads and hasn't scored against Rangers in 4 years and has never scored against a decent Rangers side for Celtic. He is also washed up at only 30 years of age.

If you heard that without knowing a thing about Scottish football you’d be forgiven for thinking Thumb is a sharp shooter & Helander is some kind of a liability of Duffus proportions.

Deluded beyond words. Fil’s not been on a losing side for a league game yet(I’m sure) & the thumb is a degenerate junkie with the lung capacity of a chain smoker.

Open goal is another of those Scottish shows that makes me cringe.
Absolutely terrible but if that's what folk find engaging as entertainment then batter in!.

I do watch it and do find it funny. I like Ferry, Halliday and I actually don’t mind Kyle as much as he’s clueless. Can’t stand Slane, but enjoy watching his pain so another reason to watch.

But their opinions like “Slavia are pub team” and that Thumb is the saviour, isn’t them joking about - that’s just how clueless they are.

I watch occasionally and it is a decent laugh with minimal football insight thrown in. Ferry is a good host while Halliday and Kyle have decent banter. Slane is a complete clown but he does bring something to the party. Certainly couldn't watch every week.

Ferry also thinks Barisic gets found out in Europe. For someone who is clearly passionate about football he doesn't half come across as being completely out of touch with the modern game.

Fast forwarded past the start with Slaneys bit then lasted about 10 minutes as it’s just a mentally challenged podcast.

So who’ll all be saying it was a pen tonight then? Definitely Slaney and Si. Big Kev too?

Tried to give their EPL podcast another go but I can get into it. They just speak so much shite on it that's completely irrelevant.
Aye I can’t get into that one either if I’m honest. Got tonight’s and Kyle Huttons to watch at some point

Not a fan of this weeks.

Edouard didn’t dive
If only Rangers had Ajer we’d be in the 1/4’s of the Europe League
Despite being 20 points off Rangers, there is nothing between us

Derek Ferguson is completely different on OG than he is on the Blue Brothers Pod where I think he pretty decent.

Maybe I’m missing the point of the EPL one but 10-15 mins each week on the size of Moyes house, Steve Bruce on the gravy and Andy Halliday in a fight club with Mike Dean is a bit much - again, maybe I’m missing the point!

Tells you all you need to know about Gregg Wylde.

What a disgrace.

Terrible player and an absolute throbber to boot.

Not a fan of this weeks.

Edouard didn’t dive
If only Rangers had Ajer we’d be in the 1/4’s of the Europe League
Despite being 20 points off Rangers, there is nothing between us

Derek Ferguson is completely different on OG than he is on the Blue Brothers Pod where I think he pretty decent.

Maybe I’m missing the point of the EPL one but 10-15 mins each week on the size of Moyes house, Steve Bruce on the gravy and Andy Halliday in a fight club with Mike Dean is a bit much - again, maybe I’m missing the point!
Ferguson is an absolute tool and a waster.

Last edited:

What a disgrace.

Thought it was fishy at the time and that interview only confirmed it. The deal with Coyle was clearly done.

Hutton seems a nice guy — I don't doubt he's a fan — but he didn't really say much to disprove what fans were leveling against him back then. Don't think he ever believed in himself and wasn't willing to put the hours in to improve either. A classic example of someone liking the idea of being a Rangers player but not the sacrifice it entails.

Compare and contrast with Mo Ross, who admitted to not being good enough but did everything to punch above his weight.

Was it not reported at the time that when Bolton came in for Wylde, he was told that leaving would mean some of the non-playing staff would be spared redundancy?

That was a lie to make him look good, he was desperate to leave.

Hutton also got mixed up saying it was Charles Green telling players they could go for free when he wasn’t even on the scene at that point. It wouldn’t even have been Whyte as he fucked off so it would’ve been the Administrators. How bizarre telling saleable assets they can go for nothing at the same time as not blocking us from attempting to sign a 35 year old Daniel Cousin.

During a team meeting with Charles Green where the young players were being told they could leave for free, Wylde disappears. When the meetings finished it pops up on SSN that Wylde had agreed to sign for Bolton.
Wylde left about 3 months before Charles Green was even on the scene.

I think it’s a case of reading the room

he clearly didn’t
Thousands of grown men foaming at the mouth because a 20 year old kid finished his work and went home to watch the telly.

Don’t get me wrong, I was probably raging at the time as well but its mental with the benefit of hindsight. There was just so much going on back then we were reacting to everything.

Regardless of what we thought of Hutton as a player, it must have crushed him running out to play for his boyhood club and have fans holding a banner up essentially criticising him. Not surprised he never came back from that. Others will disagree, but for me its just another example of how personal we all take football now.

What a disgrace.

Always bothered me that one.

I remember he was in the papers the following day saying he left to protect the cleaners and kitchen staffs jobs.

Always bothered me that one.

I remember he was in the papers the following day saying he left to protect the cleaners and kitchen staffs jobs.

Yeah, he trotted that out early.

Snidey wee prick was at it and profiteered from the mess we were in.

As I said, he was woeful anyway, which his career highlights, but his actions and subsequent messaging were deplorable.

I thought he looked a level above all the other mentally challengeds in the first half. Wasn't outstanding but I did think he played well in parts.
You'd have to imagine the reversal at Ibrox to compare. Welsh stuffed out to RB, us playing Morelos and Itten centrally. The big lad would be zoned in on and terrorised much the way they focused in on our 3rd choice RB. No nuance and why they are miles behind almost all podcasts with their knowledge. Stick to being fun and light hearted

Thousands of grown men foaming at the mouth because a 20 year old kid finished his work and went home to watch the telly.

Don’t get me wrong, I was probably raging at the time as well but its mental with the benefit of hindsight. There was just so much going on back then we were reacting to everything.

Regardless of what we thought of Hutton as a player, it must have crushed him running out to play for his boyhood club and have fans holding a banner up essentially criticising him. Not surprised he never came back from that. Others will disagree, but for me its just another example of how personal we all take football now.
The banner was probably too much

just think if things aren’t going well rightly or wrongly it’s not the sort of thing you want to put on social media innocuous or not

You'd have to imagine the reversal at Ibrox to compare. Welsh stuffed out to RB, us playing Morelos and Itten centrally. The big lad would be zoned in on and terrorised much the way they focused in on our 3rd choice RB. No nuance and why they are miles behind almost all podcasts with their knowledge. Stick to being fun and light hearted

Absolutely they played to their advantage with him being up against Balogun. However, I find it difficult to agree with the theme that Edouard is pish, he clearly isn't. He is their best player and it's ok to admit he had a decent game.

Yeah, he trotted that out early.

Snidey wee prick was at it and profiteered from the mess we were in.

As I said, he was woeful anyway, which his career highlights, but his actions and subsequent messaging were deplorable.

What's the story with Wylde? I've only managed to see bits of it. Always looked a player that was very fortunate to be where he was with us. His career declining showed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back