Open Goal Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guidi is no longer involved at 5 stars

Five Stars “official Rangers events partner of Rangers FC” are partly owned by Mark Guidi. Are Rangers FC the problem also?

Have enjoyed the Euros podcasts tbh - much better when its just wee short, sharp episodes. The best part of Open Goal is when they are allowed to tell their stories tbh, the tactics stuff is not my bag.

Was interested to hear their plea regarding Griffiths. Not having been at SWG3 for any of the shows, I would imagine that the amount of non Bears vastly outnumber Bears? Maybe they're worried that if he gets a bit of stick then he'll give a bit back and before you know it he's gone viral.
Probably will be more tims at it than bears and I'm guessing Halliday must be getting it from them and that's why they are saying about it. Griffiths is on the podcast this morning they've just released a clip on twitter of it.

I was of the mindset because Lawwell's son was to do with it but gave it a go and I enjoy it it's a good laugh at times.

Today’s one was shite. The constant breaking out in singing does my fucking tits in. I never want to hear yes sir I can boogie again. Milked to %^*&

It's annoying as %^*&, you turn your speakers up so you can hear them talking then get absolutely assaulted through them 30 seconds later.

I often wonder how people get through life when they get worked up about small things like who owns a podcast.

I wouldn't even know where to look for information like that. Most just listen to the podcast because It's a non serious take on football and funny at times. People who (say they) don't even watch it are actively google searching for the shareholders of the holding company. :D

Bizarre

I'm a little perplexed myself.

I could understand if they were using the show as a vehicle to peddle pro-celtic anti-Rangers nonsense but they don't, in fact they frequently have ex-Rangers players on the show defending our club against the tims on it.

It's basically just a bunch of mates talking about football, there is nothing sinister or bitter about it IMO.
Nothing bitter about Lawwell and Guidi? Gie's peace.

And controls and directs the content. You think that's not important and you are filling the pockets of the likes of Lawwell and Guidi?
How many episodes have you watched? And could you direct us to any content that is anti-Rangers or pro-Celtic? It's hardly CelticTV people are watching here

Open Goal as we’ve said before is aimed at a certain demographic and a certain type of fan sadly.

It’s pish
Opinions are like arseholes. There's plenty of stuff on this forum that I dislike but don't feel the need to go onto threads and consistently bash it. You don't like it, others dislike who sits behind it. We get it.

But to suggest that those who listen to it are the problem or it's aimed at "a certain type of fan" is uber staunch, arrogant bollocks.

Are you saying I am less of a Rangers fan or less intelligent / of a lower demographic than you because I listen to Open Goal?

The interviews are excellent, Si is brilliant at letting people speak and gets a lot out of them. Some of the stories have genuinely had me laughing out loud.

The podcasts though? Not for me.

Football podcasts are genuinely all I listen to, so call me boring but I want to come away having learned something from them and this isn’t the case with OG. There’s at least two of them who know less about football than your average fan.

I can see why people would like it though.

Not watched any of the euro podcasts. Will catch up on them later.

Not sure why certain posters who don't like the show keep coming onto this thread. We get it your stauncher than the rest of us.

Can you explain what the problem is with people watching this?

It's a good laugh at times and people enjoy it. What more is there to it?
If you enjoy it listen to it. I've tried. Might just be me but they're not funny and the football insight is the level of Radio Clyde.

If you enjoy it listen to it. I've tried. Might just be me but they're not funny and the football insight is the level of Radio Clyde.
They aren’t there to give massive football insight though, it’s about stories from their career and having a laugh as well as just giving their views on the game. They don’t claim to be anything else. I go through phases of listening to it because Slaney gets annoying but Si Ferry and Andy Halliday are great. Some of the guests are brilliant too, Charlie Mulgrew is surprisingly funny

They aren’t there to give massive football insight though, it’s about stories from their career and having a laugh as well as just giving their views on the game. They don’t claim to be anything else. I go through phases of listening to it because Slaney gets annoying but Si Ferry and Andy Halliday are great. Some of the guests are brilliant too, Charlie Mulgrew is surprisingly funny
Get that. If they're not there for that they've got to be funny then, haven't they? As I said in my post I don't find them funny. Personal taste so insight levels of a slobbering Clyde caller and not funny means for me there's not anything there for me. Others obviously like it.

Five Stars “official Rangers events partner of Rangers FC” are partly owned by Mark Guidi. Are Rangers FC the problem also?
Go Radio are also partners of Rangers, ran by Haughey, Cooney and co.

What a hollow life to stop stuff like that doing things you enjoy. A lot of folk like listening to Open Goal, if the Lawells are “directing the content” then they’re certainly not making it anti-Rangers or pro-Celtic. Its completely neutral.

They pay Derek Ferguson, Andy Halliday & an ex Rangers player almost every single week.

Was at the live show the other night and they absolutely ripped Celtic to shreds. Kevin Kyle being the main perpetrator. Andy Halliday song was getting chanted by the whole crowd as well. Was a good laugh, very inoffensive and very balanced.

I've not been to any of the shows but I know a few boys who have and apparently it's been predominantly Rangers songs/fans in attendance.

But... sellic fans n that.

I've not been to any of the shows but I know a few boys who have and apparently it's been predominantly Rangers songs/fans in attendance.

But... sellic fans n that.
Aye its been mentioned nearly every night has been like an Andy Halliday fan club.

Apologies for a slight derail - but for those who enjoy the interview open goal podcasts, should check out under the cosh. English based, but there's some excellent interviews on it, the Mark Crossley one is brilliant and Si Ferrys on it is also very good.

I very much enjoy under the Cosh the Mark Ward one the other week was really good.

Apologies for a slight derail - but for those who enjoy the interview open goal podcasts, should check out under the cosh. English based, but there's some excellent interviews on it, the Mark Crossley one is brilliant and Si Ferrys on it is also very good.
Who owns it?

It’s good though listened to a few of them

Surprised the thread hasn't been deleted... Fine put your opinion on that you don't agree with it or like it once or twice, but the way it comes across is as if this is a nanny state. If you don't like it that's your prerogative, but stop telling others what they should and shouldn't watch or like.
Had a post deleted the other day too out of the blue with a ton of replies. Weird behaviour by the mods on here lately

Go Radio are also partners of Rangers, ran by Haughey, Cooney and co.

What a hollow life to stop stuff like that doing things you enjoy. A lot of folk like listening to Open Goal, if the Lawells are “directing the content” then they’re certainly not making it anti-Rangers or pro-Celtic. Its completely neutral.

They pay Derek Ferguson, Andy Halliday & an ex Rangers player almost every single week.
Not to mention the microscopic level of criticism they have been hitting celtic with in their performances this year.

Really it's only as good as the guests (plus this year a good watch after the OF games).

In recent episodes Kal Naismith was funny AF, Mulgrew was good value, but Tony Watt and Griffiths were dire.

Ferry isn't exactly god's gift to presenting, but he gets good stories out of the guests and that's the main thing.

At the same time where fan media is making traditional media redundant on the more serious side of the game, pods like this are doing more entertaining things on the periphery than TV could ever manage. And I'm all for it.

Griffiths’ interview was good a while back but that episode was a waste of time. Barely said anything and clearly knows nothing about the current Scotland team aside from his pals.

It’s hilarious how thin-skinned Kev is. He was almost rattled on Si’s behalf when they were talking about the Bale comments on Instagram.

Griffiths’ interview was good a while back but that episode was a waste of time. Barely said anything and clearly knows nothing about the current Scotland team aside from his pals.

It’s hilarious how thin-skinned Kev is. He was almost rattled on Si’s behalf when they were talking about the Bale comments on Instagram.
Bale has been playing on the right as well with Keiffer Moore upfront himself so not sure why Ferry keeps repeating the comments when Bale hasn't played upfront himself in this tournament.

Not really a fan of it, don’t get the “Slaney” love in really but the Gravesen stories on YouTube are some of the funniest content you’ll see on any podcast

constantly appearing in this thread to try and stop people listening to it because of who’s a director is virgin behaviour tbh

The Si Ferry two-parter is great. His stories about Gravesen and Di Canio in particular are hilarious.

Similar to Open Goal in that the players aren't as high profile so you hear some genuine stories and names get dropped haha.

Can recommend the Iain Hume episode. Very interesting path he had to becoming a pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back