Open Goal Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they move about and film in shops and bars and stuff. Where has the last few been filmed? They are upstairs with a high ceiling. Undr the cosh one and yesterday’s with the guitarist?
The Grosvenor on Ashton Lane.

Decent pub.

Dont mind it. Ferry is a wank but he can be pretty funny, and Kyle is a fucking donkey but there's always room for a village idiot. That slane weasel is vile though.

take it for what it is, but i was surprised when barry was on a few weeks ago with halliday and they were discrediting sports science / analytics / stats etc as a "lot of shite" (halliday stayed relatively quiet on that front to be fair)

the procession of former scottish "pros" coming on talking about how MWI they would get whilst playing is pretty grim stuff at times. The game has moved on and I'd be surprised if you had Sergio Ramos on a spanish equivalent to an open goal podcast in the future talking about staying over an extra night after an away game, and then gubbing sleeping pills on the train back up the road whilst still mortal and seeing if he could stay awake longer than Toni Kroos (a Halliday anecdote from a few weeks ago)

it has its place.

Dont mind it. Ferry is a wank but he can be pretty funny, and Kyle is a fucking donkey but there's always room for a village idiot. That slane weasel is vile though.

take it for what it is, but i was surprised when barry was on a few weeks ago with halliday and they were discrediting sports science / analytics / stats etc as a "lot of shite" (halliday stayed relatively quiet on that front to be fair)

the procession of former scottish "pros" coming on talking about how MWI they would get whilst playing is pretty grim stuff at times. The game has moved on and I'd be surprised if you had Sergio Ramos on a spanish equivalent to an open goal podcast in the future talking about staying over an extra night after an away game, and then gubbing sleeping pills on the train back up the road whilst still mortal and seeing if he could stay awake longer than Toni Kroos (a Halliday anecdote from a few weeks ago)

it has its place.
The Slane Weasel

that’s a bit harsh

it has its place.

You're comparing top level footballers who barely get any time off to guys playing in League 1 in England mate.

There will be plenty Spanish league 1 players doing the exact same type of stuff.

Even at that, one of Ramos team mates at Real Madrid was involved in blackmailing a fellow french internationalist....

You're comparing top level footballers who barely get any time off to guys playing in League 1 in England mate.

There will be plenty Spanish league 1 players doing the exact same type of stuff.

Even at that, one of Ramos team mates at Real Madrid was involved in blackmailing a fellow french internationalist....

Was thinking the exact same. Mental.

Compare them to even the likes of Mcginn, Mctominay etc and it will be night and day.

it has its place.
What exactly do like about it then ?

it has its place.
Ramos captain's Real Madrid and Spain, Halliday was on loan at Blackpool.

think its pretty clear where i said it can be funny and it has its place, or are you just looking for an argument as you have been doing on other threads on recent days?
Not really was more sarcasm it’s only a football forum mate don’t take it to seriously

Ramos captain's Real Madrid and Spain, Halliday was on loan at Blackpool.
I dont care if he was on loan at Blackpool - he was a professional player at the time and for me, pros should be looking to better themselves instead of taking the first opportunity to get fucking honking, and is indicative of why some players, particularly those who seem to appear on open goal, never reach their full potential. I appreciate that Halliday is now exempt from criticism though, given that he has left - perhaps this comment would have been better received after he appeared in our starting XI following a bad result. hey ho.

My point was a reference to the difference in mentality and perhaps there is a reason why some players dont hit a decent level consistently and take themselves to a level that they are capable of operating at. Im thinking in particular of the likes of Templeton whose appearance on open goal was littered with stories about getting minging, and the list is endless in that regard. Some car crash stuff on that show from players who didnt ever get to where they should have been - and with that in mind i can't help but question whether some of these players could have made more of their careers if they were more focused instead of defaulting to the scottish football stereotype of getting burst. This isnt solely directed at Halliday - it was an example of an anecdote which he used which seems to share similar traits to others who appear on the show.

the general mentality of scottish players is flawed and there is a reason why so few excel elsewhere when compared to other nations where the lifestyle is secondary to success. I take one look at our squad and the fact there are such limited options in terms of Scottish players as an indicator of where the general game is at up there.

Last edited:
I dont care if he was on loan at Blackpool - he was a professional player at the time and for me, pros should be looking to better themselves instead of taking the first opportunity to get fucking honking, and is indicative of why some players, particularly those who seem to appear on open goal, never reach their full potential. I appreciate that Halliday is now exempt from criticism though, given that he has left - perhaps this comment would have been better received after he appeared in our starting XI following a bad result. hey ho.

My point was a reference to the difference in mentality and perhaps there is a reason why some players dont hit a decent level consistently and take themselves to a level that they are capable of operating at. Im thinking in particular of the likes of Templeton whose appearance on open goal was littered with stories about getting minging, and the list is endless in that regard. Some car crash stuff on that show from players who didnt ever get to where they should have been - and with that in mind i can't help but question whether some of these players could have made more of their careers if they were more focused instead of defaulting to the scottish football stereotype of getting burst. This isnt solely directed at Halliday - it was an example of an anecdote which he used which seems to share similar traits to others who appear on the show.

the general mentality of scottish players is flawed and there is a reason why so few excel elsewhere when compared to other nations where the lifestyle is secondary to success. I take one look at our squad and the fact there are such limited options in terms of Scottish players as an indicator of where the general game is at up there.

Mate it’s not the High Performance podcast it’s a few boys talking shite.

Lighten up.

Another one on the thread taking Open Goal far too seriously.

Calm down.

Paul Gascoigne, George Best, Diego Maradona, Romario, Ronaldinho all say hi.

Tiger Woods, the greatest golfer of all time arguably, was another.

The guys had a few days off from work and had a bit of a laugh. Would I expect it at Rangers? No. Because we have so many high intensity games to play.

But let's not pretend that messing about doesn't happen at elite level.

Paul Gascoigne, George Best, Diego Maradona, Romario, Ronaldinho all say hi.

Tiger Woods, the greatest golfer of all time arguably, was another.

The guys had a few days off from work and had a bit of a laugh. Would I expect it at Rangers? No. Because we have so many high intensity games to play.

But let's not pretend that messing about doesn't happen at elite level.
I think you've pretty much nailed the point i was making in that I quite frankly wouldn't expect it at rangers. IMO there's a mentality issue with Scottish players more generally which is why there are so few turning out for us

It’s obviously not for you mate, my advice for you is.. don't watch it!
Its a light hearted scottish podcast with some lads who love doing it. As far as I and thousands more are concerned, it’s a breath of fresh air.

:D

Id love for the regulars of this thread to meet in a pub and discuss this podcast.

The extreme views on it are hilarious.

Ferry left school at 15, pissed his career against a wall by 26 and played for Peterhead for about a decade, yet some expect a deep dive on detail and tactics.

He is shouldered by a ned and a redundant taxi driver. He’s not got Guillem Balague and Gary Neville with him. :D

Last edited:
Listening to the end of Under the Cosh - no chance he’s getting rid of Slaney. He raves about him.

For those worried about him being a mentally challenged; his favourite ever guest was McCoist...

no sure you would be the first on the invite list for a Hoose party when covid is gone

I know there are various views from Ferry being insufferable, to lining the pockets of Peter, but that aside, there are some fans of it on here.

I enjoyed Fod last week - thought he was very honest.

Up this week, Lambert.

Did I hear he was a Rangers fan as a kid?

First time I’ve listened at length to him. Surprised just how arrogant he is. (He’s won the Champions League, but felt like he now views himself as a great).

Interesting interview. Scottish guy abroad stuff was a decent listen.

He doesn’t think Rangers are mentally tough enough to win the league in the coming season.

Guess many of us harbour the same concerns. Hearing it from mentally challengeds makes the desire even greater though.

Does he say why he doesn’t think we are mentally tough enough?

This seems to be what these bastards all seem to be clinging on to

:D

Id love for the regulars of this thread to meet in a pub and discuss this podcast.

The extreme views on it are hilarious.

Ferry left school at 15, pissed his career against a wall by 26 and played for Peterhead for about a decade, yet some expect a deep dive on detail and tactics.

He is shoulder by a ned and a redundant taxi driver. He’s not got Guillem Balague and Gary Neville with him. :D

Exactly, the rage some get about it is hilarious.

It's not as if it's even on TV, you have to actively look for it on YouTube!

The bold Del went round the roundabout the wrong way and totalled the motor him and another player(s) were in. IIRC there were injuries and may have been a broken leg amongst them. Happy to be corrected by anyone whose memory is less shot than mine.
Remember it well, a while after Derek Ferguson was walking by the stairs at the back of the Copland , in the days it was an open air boozer , and some wag shouted " alright Derek" ....to which Fergie greeted him with a smile , to be met with " did you drive up "

Does he say why he doesn’t think we are mentally tough enough?

This seems to be what these bastards all seem to be clinging on to

They can only go on past experience.

We have shat the bed, numerous times.

I actually don’t think it’s an unfair comment to make. It is up to us to prove we have the mentality to see it out.

But, when push comes to shove, domestically, we have buckled.

This feels a littler different, so far, but, I understand people asking the question.

I actually don’t think it’s an unfair comment to make. It is up to us to prove we have the mentality to see it out.

This feels a littler different, so far, but, I understand people asking the question.
Agree with this, we only prove we are mentally tough once we actually win the league.

Si Ferry is on the Under the Cosh podcast this week talking about his career.

2 parts, and really good listening

Part 1

Part 2

Apologies about the Celtic tops in the images, but the stuff on Di Canio at Swindon in part 1 is hilarious

Another vote for watching this, his stories were funny as. The 3 other guys barely spoke for 2 hours.

Shows that Ferry is very good at what he does as a podcast host, because he clearly has a lot to say and enjoys telling a story, given how Under The Cosh went.

But as a host of Open Goal he doesn’t overly dominate the chat and does well to guide things and keep it moving.

Quite telling that he’s big enough to admit that he wasted his career, and was and does sound like he’s more interested in booze and having a good time, than football.

Last edited:
Another vote for watching this, his stories were funny as. The 3 other guys barely spoke for 2 hours.

Shows that Ferry is very good at what he does as a podcast host, because he clearly had a lot to say and enjoys telling a story, given how Under The Cosh went.

But as a host of Open Goal he doesn’t overly dominate the chat and does well to guide things and keep it moving.

Quite telling that he’s big enough to admit that he wasted his career and was and does sound like he’s more interested in booze and having a good time, than football.

One thing he does well is he knows the time to give it knowing it can't go silent for too long. Those other 3 guys didn't have much 'banter' going at all so once Ferry said something there was a slight silence and he obviously expected them to come in and ask something but none of them did so he just moved to the next story to prevent the podcast becoming stale and awkward.

Yip; everyone on here were asking questions after the Hibs game.
Under the cosh is a good listen

I hadn't heard of them till last week but caught one or two of their Podcasts. Enjoyed the Dean Windass one.

The Kevin Campbell episode is excellent.. he ended up doing 2.

I'd recommend the one about his time in Turkey. He tells a story about being on the team bus on the way home after a good win and a car pulls up alongside with the passenger holding a gun.. I won't ruin the story but i was fu.cking buckled watching it.

Yip; everyone on here were asking questions after the Hibs game.

I hadn't heard of them till last week but caught one or two of their Podcasts. Enjoyed the Dean Windass one.
Kevin Campbell, Alan Rogers & Andy Johnston are well worth a watch.. all 3 are funny with loads of cracking stories.

Clarke Carlisle is also good but its heavy on his addictions/depression etc.. it's mental how he managed to play at the level he did given how much he abused his body with alcohol.

I only heard about them last week when Ferry had them on.

Listened to his which was good.

Also listened to Dean Windass, Anthony Gerrard, Jon Otsembor, Chris Kirkland, Tony Warner, Gavin Rae, Luke Chadwick Leon knight (wannabe gangster comes across as a knob.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back