Opening European group games - what's your favourite?

evo14

Official Ticketer
Always an exciting night, cause this is when you start trading punches with the bigger teams, so there's a cetain magic about the opening European home games.

My favourite was V Porto in 2005 when we won 3-2 with Lovenkrands, Prso and a late winner from Kyrigiakos sealing the win.

I remember Prso getting a sore one and having a bandage round his head, and his goal was scrappy but I still went through the roof.

I think Pepe scored both of their goals that night, he was some player in his day. On that note, I thought the strip we were wearing that night was the Umbro/Carling one which was a belter.

What was your favourite?

Stuttgart was a really good night.

What was the group opener when we had PSV, Valencia and Bayern?

If it was the 4-1 game then that!

Marseille,Porto or Stuggart the second time.

The Stuttgart one where Darcheville scored the penalty? I was in The Riley in Greenock that night and went mental when he scored and all the local tims in the place were absolutely raging!

The Stuttgart one where Darcheville scored the penalty? I was in The Riley in Greenock that night and went mental when he scored and all the local tims in the place were absolutely raging!
the one you are thinking of is when we had Barca and Lyon, we all know what happened that year :)

Dont think that was the opener if its season 99/00 you're thinking of bud.

We got schooled by the Aberdeen of Spain that season in the opening game 2-0.

Another vote from me for Graz in 2000, 5-0 going on double figures and the traveling Austrian fans seemed genuinely in awe of both our team on the pitch and the noise, colour and passion from the stands. Remember them taking photos of us during and after the game. Surely wasn't an undercover Polis Scoatlin' Focus group existing back then was there?

Stuttgart in 2003 when Lovenkrands scored a late winner was another opener which is worth a shout. Wasn't at the game myself but fair enjoyed getting it right up the 'Stuttgart fans' in Dundee Student Union that night:)

Sturm Graz was a good night. Don't think I've seen us dominate a team in the Champions League the way we did that night.

Yep, that's the one for me. We were sensational that night, Mikey Mols in particular.

Incidentally, a common theme of most of our recent(ish) euro groups is getting off to a good start and then fading badly in last 3/4 games. Let's hope we can buck that trend this year (although also keeping the good start).

3-2 gers tonight.

Opening game of the PSV-Bayern-Valencia group was in Spain and finished 2-0 to them.

Opening home game was versus Bayern which finished 1-1.

My personal favourite is the Stuttgart 2-1 game where Hutton rampaged up the right all game. Think that was an opening game.

Porto was great, scoreline with atmosphere to match.
Hopefully we get off to a great start tonight and also win a couple of the games at the end of the group stages

Honestly, last year was up there for me. Only watched on TV mind you, but I absolutely did not expect a result and to draw 2-2 away from home, I was ecstatic.

Marseille without a doubt.

The inaugural competition having won the famous Battle Of Britain showdown to get there, and then when we did we faced the richest club in the world at the time in our opening game!

The CL is only really great like that when we're in it.

2-1 Stuttgart in 2003. Place went mental when Lovenkrands scored.

Sturm Graz was a good night. Don't think I've seen us dominate a team in the Champions League the way we did that night.

Good shout actually.

I don't think I've ever seen us look as accomplished in Europe against decent opposition as we did that night. I really thought we were on the cusp of something great.

Admittedly we'd already lost 6-2 at the Beggardome at that point so all was not completely rosy, but the style in which we pummelled them that night - and it was a pummelling, one of those games people say 'it could have been 7 or 8' where it would not have been any exaggeration whatsoever (how they went on to win the group I'll never know - Galatasaray also hammered them 5 nil, IIRC) - suggested Europe may be our forte.

Sadly it was more or less downhill after that.

Back