Opposing fans reaction to our national anthem

Rangerista

It struck me today as a random observance (not that I'm naive), just how many of the fans of the clubs we play in this league seem to be enthusiastic supporters of separatism. And I don't think it's just a reaction to our renditions of the national anthem that prompts their hostility in response. Of course our club is one of the most publicly recognised bastions of the Union in Scotland. But at the risk of answering my own question, is it just hatred for Rangers, or are they representative of their support in general?

It’s just the small minded nation we live in. I’m a proud Scotsman who will sing FOS at games, I’m a proud Brit who will sing GSTQ. (I’m also proudly European but that’s a different matter). But the last decade or so (since the Scottish nazi party came to power) i feel I’m made to be not a true Scotsman if I sing GSTQ and I’m hounded by rangers fans if I attend Scotland games. The referendum in 2014 has drove a divide down our country that I don’t think we can ever heal.

It struck me today as a random observance (not that I'm naive), just how many of the fans of the clubs we play in this league seem to be enthusiastic supporters of separatism. And I don't think it's just a reaction to our renditions of the national anthem that prompts their hostility in response. Of course our club is one of the most publicly recognised bastions of the Union in Scotland. But at the risk of answering my own question, is it just hatred for Rangers, or are they representative of their support in general?

snp boards all round the park is it coincidence or the norm ? ....st.midden fans Tim's withoot the bus fare

I refuse to confuse sport with religion or politics. Never leads to anything good imho.

Personally: You wont find me singing GSTQ because i dont agree with the sentiment in any particular shape or form. I wont boo of course. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs of sense of nationalism... but its not mine personally.

Don't think it's all of them honestly.

Even if something like only 40% of the opposition's supporters booed it you'd still hear them loudly so impossible to tell how many of them actually hate the national anthem.

The vocal minority I'd assume.

I’ve noticed this myself. I could hazard a guess and say a good few would happily sing it at other events and such, but because it’s Rangers fans singing it they would boo it.
That’s wrong,these cunts hate the union and Rangers.

To be honest I think the reaction is mostly just because it's us singing it. I think most of the boo brigade at clubs outwith the scum would either sing it or at least maintain their silence if it was at, say, a Remembrance Day service.

Not that there isn't a thick vein of separatist filth running through this country.

We need another referendum to put this shite to bed. Then we don't have to give a flying f--- what they think.

Until the next one, that is......
That's best out of 3 Brexit patter, put those thoughts in the bin. What we need is people to stop voting SNP. The best way is Rangers supporting families and friends who need their eyes opened (not ridiculed) but steered away from a party that hates every aspect of our club and it's fans

It’s just the small minded nation we live in. I’m a proud Scotsman who will sing FOS at games, I’m a proud Brit who will sing GSTQ. (I’m also proudly European but that’s a different matter). But the last decade or so (since the Scottish nazi party came to power) i feel I’m made to be not a true Scotsman if I sing GSTQ and I’m hounded by rangers fans if I attend Scotland games. The referendum in 2014 has drove a divide down our country that I don’t think we can ever heal.
So true mate divided a country not United it !

FOS WAS a quite nice folk song. As a national anthem it's a f#cking embarrassment. Always sung out of time and tune at games. Totally cringeworthy needs to be scrapped.

That's best out of 3 Brexit patter, put those thoughts in the bin. What we need is people to stop voting SNP. The best way is Rangers supporting families and friends who need their eyes opened (not ridiculed) but steered away from a party that hates every aspect of our club and it's fans
I never tire of telling the few misguided in my family how their plan of independence being built on our oil reserves was shot down within weeks of the defeat when the price of a barrel PLUMMETED within weeks. By fu*k we'd have been the next Greece or ROI had we listened to the dreamers.

I never tire of telling the few misguided in my family how their plan of independence being built on our oil reserves was shot down within weeks of the defeat when the price of a barrel PLUMMETED . By fu*k we'd have been the next Greece or ROI had we listened to the dreamers.

Scotland is hating itself to death. I have never known such a divided country.

Hyperbole mate, sorry.

It wasn't really that long ago that Serbs, Croats and Bosniaks were going door to door slaughtering each other for nothing more than being from a different ethnic background.

Anyway, football is no place to be judging the political mood in Scotland in my opinion.

GSTQ, which is also a dirge btw, was booed enthusiastically before the referendum and look what happened.

The vast majority at a guess just cant be arsed hearing it. They are there for the football and the sport not worry about the union or scotland or the troubles and all that entails.

Anyway it's a dirge of a tune. Saps your energy.

The booing of our National anthem is nothing new. It’s been happening for as long as I’ve been going to the football.

Goes on about division, and small mindedness, whilst branding the SNP Nazis.........

We need another referendum to put this shite to bed. Then we don't have to give a flying f--- what they think.

Until the next one, that is......

Simple fix to eradicate the SNP is put Rangers and Celtic into the English leagues. Why the Tories have not put pressure on the fa to do so I will never know.

We sing the national anthem in part as an affirmation of our unionist allegiances, but also in part to wind up opposing supporters who we know get annoyed by it.

It should come as no surprise therefore that some react.

We live in land where fiction has taken over from Fact, everything the Poisoned Dwarf/Natsis touch, they make an erse off, but in the eyes of the obsessed they can’t see it. This thread to an extent should be in the Lounge, however I suppose the more that see it, should ask those Non RCs WHY! Do YOU Vote SNP for ALL THEY STAND FOR?

I'd say it's because of who's singing it more than anything else.

And of course don't forget that St Mirren fans love a good boo.

Hyperbole mate, sorry.

It wasn't really that long ago that Serbs, Croats and Bosniaks were going door to door slaughtering each other for nothing more than being from a different ethnic background.

Anyway, football is no place to be judging the political mood in Scotland in my opinion.

GSTQ, which is also a dirge btw, was booed enthusiastically before the referendum and look what happened.
Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear in the post. I meant I hadn’t never see our country in such a divided manner. Obviously it isn’t he same as a Yugoslavia, Sudan, Vietnam type of scenario.

Separate issue but is it just me that finds this tune an uninspiring dirge? A national anthem should be uplifting and speak of our history heroes and achievements not about 1 person. While I'm at it Flower of Scotland is even worse- good folk tune but cringeworthy as an anthem.

Reactions: JCL
Everyone has their own personal views of what rangers means. For many it’s about unionism, protestantism etc. For me it’s about secularism against celtic are the polar opposite: religious fundamentalism. I might not find many who share this outlook but that’s how I personally view it.

Hyperbole mate, sorry.

Spot on with this.

As much as I hate the idea of politics and religion being mixed with sport. They have brought it in whether we like it or not. Our only response can be to get organised better. We need a political wing that can do as you say, and guide the support in a direction away from our haters. It can be centrist as many Rangers fans are left wing and right wing, vote for those who are friendly to us and will fight our corner.

I think what annoys me more,is these people are forever telling us they do it for the good of Scotland. If so why are they still causing more division in the country.

The Scottish national side used to play GSTQ before games. I think this was changed in the late 1970's, early 1980's. ? Older fans can confirm.
They certainly did. I recall at Hampden against NI in the early 70's getting told to stand up(we were in the old north stand) when they played it. Respect was shown when we played Wales or NI but it was raucously booed against England and that's when a large proportion of Scotland fans were Bluenoses.

Back