Opposition Youth Players Part 2

Cheers, Elf.

I recognise a few names there. Good to see boys like Wallace and McGrandles have made it to a decent level.

John Souttar still has potential to play for Rangers but not sure I'd spend a few million on him.

Good read again mate! No mention of Lewis Ferguson at Hamilton though?

Also, I mentioned on another thread... would be interesting to read a piece on players who are still current playing youth football, but that you feel may make a breakthough this season. Would be interesting to review at the end of next season!

Cheers mate really enjoyed it.

Whats happening with the project brave/forth valley thing has it been shelved or is it still going? Actually hadn’t heard of it till I was talking to a guy in the pub who said his boy played with Falkirk and had been asked to go, this was a good few years ago though

Good read again mate! No mention of Lewis Ferguson at Hamilton though?

Also, I mentioned on another thread... would be interesting to read a piece on players who are still current playing youth football, but that you feel may make a breakthough this season. Would be interesting to review at the end of next season!

I did consider Lewis Ferguson, as I said I could have listed a lot more players. Unlike a couple of others I mentioned I wasn't really surprised when Rangers released him. He was quite small although not slightly built, back then he was a competitive rather that technical player. As a youth player at Hamilton he was ok, but not really one I saw as making the breakthrough. So he would probably been on for under the radar, even though I seen him play quite a few times.

The second part would be difficult, any player at other clubs I may have a seen a maximum of three time in the past year. I would probably be basing my choice on who has been in the public domain rather than what I have actually seen. Rangers under 18's were quite a bit ahead of the rest this season and the better under 18's at the other clubs have been pushed on, and probably didn't play in the 18's games against Rangers recently.

Remember Ryan McCord at DU as being a very good prospect. I think his brother played in the same team. Pretty sure he went to Alloa.
Falkirk were always a decent youth set-up and as you say are sadly missed. Seen them lose 1-0 (Stevie Lennon) to us at Auchenhowie around 2006/07 and it is still one of the best pure footballing games at that level i have seen.

Cheers mate really enjoyed it.

Whats happening with the project brave/forth valley thing has it been shelved or is it still going? Actually hadn’t heard of it till I was talking to a guy in the pub who said his boy played with Falkirk and had been asked to go, this was a good few years ago though

Falkirk pulled the plug on Forth Valley in December 2017, Fakirk were by far the main club in the Forth Valley project, along with Stenhousemuir and maybe Stirling Albion and East Sitirling.

Project Brave was the name given to the SFA's future plans for youth football. Funds would be concentrated on The Elite clubs. To be part of the elite group clubs had to meet certain criteria, a lot of which meant significant investment from the clubs. Falkirk were not going to meet that criteria therefore their SFA funding was cut drastically. It was also rumoured that their manager at the time wanted the youth budget for his first team squad.

There are currently eight "Elite" clubs, with Dundee United being added in the coming season.

Thanks elfideldo. Lots of names I recognise and just as many I don’t! Always liked Ryan Gauld and hoped we might have picked him up at some point but I suppose the time has passed.
Look forward to the next instalment.

Following on from last week Part 2 looks at players that were at Dundee United, Falkirk and Hamilton Accies academies.

Thanks for the articles so far really interesting
And enjoyed reading them - few names I recognised

Following on from last week Part 2 looks at players that were at Dundee United, Falkirk and Hamilton Accies academies.

Could you do one for Rangers as well, would be interesting to know who you thought would make it with us but either faded away or moved etc

Thanks for sharing these. Interesting reads.

Is the young player at Hamilton, wee Simmy?

Cheers Elfideldo, meant to ask you after the last one, whats your opinion on Karamoko Dembele at them? Overhyped or genuine talent?

Didn't know Jay Fulton and Murray Wallace were in our youth system two that got away definitely

Cheers Elfideldo, meant to ask you after the last one, whats your opinion on Karamoko Dembele at them? Overhyped or genuine talent?

A wee bit of both really, he is a real talent and when I have watched him he generally has an influence on the game. Tends to be in explosive bursts into the game from his wide right position, doesn't control a game like a central midfielder. Celtic can be a bit one dimensional when he is playng with a give the ball to Karamoko mantra.

In March 2018 Rangers U17's lost 5-2 at Lennoxtown and we couldn't cope with him, the sides met 12 days later at The Training Centre, Rangers winning 4-2 and he was anonymous. I'm told he has always played well with England youth teams.

His older brother Siriki Dembele was briefly at Rangers and is now at Peterborough United.

Great thread mate.
Appreciate the time to write it.
I’d be very interested in the potential stand outs at our club and others for the different age groups - and then see who progresses.

The head of Youth at Hamilton is a huge Celtc fan and is probably instrumental in Celtc taking a few of their Youth players.

Great thread mate.
Appreciate the time to write it.
I’d be very interested in the potential stand outs at our club and others for the different age groups - and then see who progresses.

I don't really like discussing Rangers youngsters on forums and I'll explain why.

The nature of the blog is really to provide updates and reports on games. I try to keep my opinions out of the match reports and I think I am successful at it. The parents and kids quite like the match reports, most parents think their kids would one of the top players, I have a sort of relationship with them and posting my opinions could change that.

At older ages 16's up, I used to post a pen picture of each player. One parent told me "his boy's wasn't as good as others", another said "they could tell who my favourites are", so i stopped doing them.

I don't really like discussing Rangers youngsters on forums and I'll explain why.

The nature of the blog is really to provide updates and reports on games. I try to keep my opinions out of the match reports and I think I am successful at it. The parents and kids quite like the match reports, most parents think their kids would one of the top players, I have a sort of relationship with them and posting my opinions could change that.

At older ages 16's up, I used to post a pen picture of each player. One parent told me "his boy's wasn't as good as others", another said "they could tell who my favourites are", so i stopped doing them.

I really think you do well and used to read your reports regularly a few years back, which I always found balanced and knowledgeable.

I know from painful experience that if you make honest comments about players you can get unjustified pelters from all and sundry.

Basically 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

WATP

Thanks for posting I always enjoy your posts. I can understand the kid glove treatment of parents; trying not to fall out with people in youth football is a tricky business.

Back