Opposition Youth Players Part One

elfideldo

Its been suggest I do a post on youth players I have watched playing against Rangers. Big subject and I will do a few posts first one is Aberdeen & Celtic.

Already looking forward to part 2. Always enjoy your posts elf.
no one has better knowledge of youth footfall for me.

Can remember reading about that Craig Storrie. Is there any particular reason he faded away so quickly or just the usual pitfalls?

"Opposition players may become known when Rangers, Celtic or both are trying to sign them. Or when Scotland gatherings are announced, although this is not the be all and end all as there is a bit of politics involved in these selections"

What are the politics involved if thats not too nosy? Cheers for the articles you post.

No it won’t . Who give a toss about the other clubs players . Should our youth dept not know about these boys anyway ?

Maybe not for you which is fair enough, I’m sure many will be interested to know how Rangers compare with others.

Clearly you won’t be reading it anyway.

In addition, the OP puts a hell of a lot of effort into these threads. He deserves a bit of support.

Maybe not for you which is fair enough, I’m sure many will be interested to know how Rangers compare with others.

In addition, the OP puts a hell of a lot of effort into these threads. He deserves a bit of support.

Couldn’t agree more. If you’re only interested in Rangers then fair enough but the football world doesn’t revolve around us I’m afraid.

I’ll keep an eye on thread anyway.

Not having a go at the OP . His updates are appreciated. Although if the club need a blogger to tell them about other clubs players then we are in bother

No it won’t . Who give a toss about the other clubs players . Should our youth dept not know about these boys anyway ?

Guys obviously put a bit of effort into it mate and made it pretty clear in the thread title what it’s about. There’s no rules on FF that say you must open every thread. No rule that says you must reply either.

It’s not a go at the OP . The complete guide is how many players are good enough for the first team

The OP has had a look at players that have come through each Academy's system so its interesting to see how far the players have gone in the game the highs and lows. Its a good read elfideldo watches many games up and down the country so his knowledge of academy football is excellent.

Jeezo - how backward.
Good coaches will say to one of their assistants in every game - you watch the opposition.
Much harder to look past your own team and recognise the strengths/weaknesses of other team. But important to identify future talent.

Given that we havent been successful with youth development for years - potentially as far back as Barry Ferguson and Alan Hutton - it's worth looking at what other clubs are doing.

I've seen a few youth players on loan in the Championship and League One. The ones that impressed? Daniel Harvie eventually did well at left back. Danny Rogers was a good goalkeeping prospect. Stuart Findlay looked like he would have a good career. I liked the look of Jamie Lindsey. Sam Wardrop was great for the level he was playing at with Dumbarton but couldn't make it work at a higher level. Chris Kane likewise. Sam Stanton was great for Dumbarton and it's arguable that he's been ok elsewhere, but no more than at Championship level. McCrorie is the strange one because he did absolutely nothing of note whilst on loan but has progressed. Whether he has progressed enough is up for debate, but he's certainly growing as a player.

On the other hand I thought Joe Thompson was poor. Calum Waters barely featured for The Sons. Jack Aitchison lasted a couple of games before he was fed up playing against men who would play physical against him. Brophy was never really given a chance at Dumbarton but has gone on to show that he's a decent player. Dom Thomas and Adam Frizzell will never be more than tier 2 players.

Of the Rangers kids I've seen? I can't think of any who have impressed. Aiden Wilson and Liam Burt were woeful. Even ex Rangers youth prospects such as Calum Gallagher and Tom Walsh never really looked like they had the top flight in them.

Clearly what Scottish football is doing right now isnt really working. ElFideldo will know far more about the players who are currently within club systems and whether or not there is potential there, but it's interesting to note his views on what were considered the brighter prospects over the past few years. What stops a young prospect from realising their potential? Is it something that we're doing wrong? Is it down to the player? Is it some kind of inherent flaw in our kids? What I do know is that of all the kids I've seen on loan in the lower leagues, the ones who have impressed most weren't from either Rangers or Celtic. Thats a massive concern.

I'd be interested to see the OP's views on the best prospects currently in SPFL systems. Who are we going to be talking about as either the next big thing or the one that threw it away? And what can we do to give them the best chance of making it?

Last edited:
Can remember reading about that Craig Storrie. Is there any particular reason he faded away so quickly or just the usual pitfalls?
Drink and attitude seems to be the opinion from mates that support/played youths with Aberdeen.

"Opposition players may become known when Rangers, Celtic or both are trying to sign them. Or when Scotland gatherings are announced, although this is not the be all and end all as there is a bit of politics involved in these selections"

What are the politics involved if thats not too nosy? Cheers for the articles you post.

Scotland youth squads have always been a bit political. These days I feel the authorities have to promote the Development Schools, therefore if they are two players close the will go for the SFA Development school player. I also think they sometimes pick players to balance the squad over a number of clubs. Just my opinion of course.

Not having a go at the OP . His updates are appreciated. Although if the club need a blogger to tell them about other clubs players then we are in bother

Don't think you read the article.

There is no intention to tell the club anything.

It was a historical look at players I watched playing against us.

Rangers would know about all these players and they certainly made efforts for a few Aberdeen players. There is a good Ryan Jack story that I won't post on here, but it does highlight how inept we were at times.

We didn't take any player from Celtic but they paid development fees for a few of ours.

Rangers approached eight players from other Scottish clubs in January and got two of them.

Jeezo - how backward.
Good coaches will say to one of their assistants in every game - you watch the opposition.
Much harder to look past your own team and recognise the strengths/weaknesses of other team. But important to identify future talent.

At under 18's/Development Squad games Rangers employ a scout whose remit at each game is to watch the opposition.

Rangers would know about all these players and they certainly made efforts for a few Aberdeen players. There is a good Ryan Jack story that I won't post on here, but it does highlight how inept we were at times.

We didn't take any player from Celtic but they paid development fees for a few of ours.

Rangers approached eight players from other Scottish clubs in January and got two of them.
Agree we were completely inept back then although not convinced we are any better now TBH .
Most of the current better youth players at other clubs have been in our system at some point and we’ve missed out for many reasons.

I think your views on current youth for the fans are welcome as I know you take a very keen interest but forgive me for not being bothered about the old opposition players .

Agree we were completely inept back then although not convinced we are any better now TBH .
Most of the current better youth players at other clubs have been in our system at some point and we’ve missed out for many reasons.

I think your views on current youth for the fans are welcome as I know you take a very keen interest but forgive me for not being bothered about the old opposition players .

The vast majority will not be interested therefore they won't read the article or post on the thread.

I remember Paul George being a talented player for Celtic but iirc suffered a broken leg against us at Auchenhowie.
Aberdeen had a centre forward (Andrew ? ) who was highly regarded about 15 years or so ago but drifted out of the game without making an impact.

Would like to see us pinch hickey from hearts before the vermin swoop in. I get he was at the peodo dome but they sold him so maybe he might have the huff

I know this about opposition players but Danny Wilson and Jamie Ness were both absolutely outstanding at 16/17.

Let us all know if you do get interested or bothered.

Dying for another update from you.

That’s concerning why you think that is

Its been suggest I do a post on youth players I have watched playing against Rangers. Big subject and I will do a few posts first one is Aberdeen & Celtic.

Thanks for that -- very interesting read.
I look forward to the next part.

Let us all know if you do get interested or bothered.

Dying for another update from you.
Thanks I’m flattered you care .

Wasn’t an update just my point of view . I will be sure to run it past you the next time I decide to comment on a forum

That's a really good read mate.

Aberdeen have always had a good youth set up which will improve even further with their new training centre.

Scotland youth squads have always been a bit political. These days I feel the authorities have to promote the Development Schools, therefore if they are two players close the will go for the SFA Development school player. I also think they sometimes pick players to balance the squad over a number of clubs. Just my opinion of course.

Ah ok. Heard the point about the development schools before from somebody else. Noticed they always mark out the development schools kids when the squads get announced.

I remember Paul George being a talented player for Celtic but iirc suffered a broken leg against us at Auchenhowie.
Aberdeen had a centre forward (Andrew ? ) who was highly regarded about 15 years or so ago but drifted out of the game without making an impact.

Andrew Bagshaw, he looked a really good prospect, don't think he made a first team appearance. Played for a spell in the Highland League and scored a Scottish Cup goal for Inverurie Loco against Whitehill Welfare.

Celtic took his younger brother Callum Bagshaw from Aberdeen a few years later around a bit of hype. Never seen what the hype was about and he also returned to the Highland League with Formartine United.

Aberdeen have always had a good youth set up which will improve even further with their new training centre.

Quite a few good players in different age groups at Aberdeen and a least one exceptional talent attracting a lot of interest.

Seems to be a good area, yet Rangers haven't scouted there for years. I believe there are plans in motion to change that.

Aberdeen always scouted the Glasgow/Lanarkshire areas that is not the case now. There were noises last season of Aberdeen reopening there Glasgow/Lanarkshire development centres.

Quite a few good players in different age groups at Aberdeen and a least one exceptional talent attracting a lot of interest.

Seems to be a good area, yet Rangers haven't scouted there for years. I believe there are plans in motion to change that.

@elfideldo who is the exceptional talent at Aberdeen? Are we interested in him?

Who are the other top players around Scotland, who haven't broken into their respective first team squads? Interested to see if there are any more David Turnbulls, to look out for?

Last edited:
an entirely honorable post but there is zero chance of seeing youth players next season ( if there is one) as the pressure on everyone at the club in relation to the title will be the highest in living memory. Maybe the following season there might be less "hysteria" though I doubt it.

@elfideldo who is the exceptional talent at Aberdeen? Are we interested in him?

Who are the other top players around Scotland, who haven't broken into their respective first team squads? Interested to see if there are any more David Turnbulls, to look out for....

He is only 14, I am not going to name him on an open forum. I would be very surprised if weren't interested, doesn't mean we will get him. Of the eight players we approached in January we got two.

The demands and commitment required means it's probably to much for kids to travel from Aberdeen. Rangers are looking at a couching centre in the North East and any recruit would have most of their coaching closer to home. As I said in a previous post Rangers haven't scouted in the area for a number of years.

It should also be said we have some players in the academy who will attract significant interest from elsewhere.

The demands and commitment required means it's probably to much for kids to travel from Aberdeen. Rangers are looking at a couching centre in the North East and any recruit would have most of their coaching closer to home. As I said in a previous post Rangers haven't scouted in the area for a number of years.

Come on elfideldo - it’s only the bheasts that have one of them!
Interesting thread though. More please.

Enjoyable post. I'd ask the OP do you think the standard of our under 18's and below match the tims now ?

He is only 14, I am not going to name him on an open forum. I would be very surprised if weren't interested, doesn't mean we will get him. Of the eight players we approached in January we got two.

It should also be said we have some players in the academy who will attract significant interest from elsewhere.

Fair enough mate! What about the second part of my question? Any future stars in the making, around the 18 y/o mark, set to break through around the other clubs in Scotland? Anyone in particular who's caught your eye?

@elfideldo

Good read mate. It's a good insight into youth development to get a retrospective on the successes or otherwise of clubs youth systems. Lots of fans get frustrated at the lack of progress from youths to first team, and anything that helps people understand it more is a good thing.

The point you make about McManus at celtic is interesting and raising the point about the effectiveness of youth coaching. i guess some players can learn and improve and some perhaps just dont get the benefit of the coaching or think they know it already

Back