Orchard Bar Giffnock

Not as far as I'm aware,

They just closed all their hotels/restaurants in Dec/Jan rather than run at a loss with the restrictions.
They’ll still run at a loss, just less of one.

Overheads still to cover, zero income, zero outlay on staff wages, N.I. & pension contributions though…

Nice one Nicola.

Dearie me, what a depressing thread.

I grew up in Clarkston way back, when it was dry, but there was never any question of what colour the surrounding bars and hotels were.

It sounds like it is still dry but the other standards may be dropping:eek:. If you're going to let any old riff-raff into the area, I think you have to let the people drink.
Changing demographic driven by educational performance. Growing up in Clarkston in the 60/70’s there was Williamwood and Woodfarm feeding into Eastwood and solid blue. However it’s a different landscape now.

Clarkston hasn’t been dry for quite a while now. What was once a fairly vibrant secondary shopping area is now Estate Agents and restaurants with charity shops thrown in as well.
Hah! Both my brothers were born there when it was The Orchard Park Nursing Home.
They are in very good company!

It's changed to more of an event venue now (weddings etc) and it no longer welcomes hordes of Rangers supporters to watch games.
In fact, it discourages it.

That's all of the McDonald, Redhurst (Clarkston RSC venues), plus the Railway Tavern Busby and Mearns British Legion (the old Graham Roberts bus venues) all gone now mate.

There's other new pubs that lean our way, in the Mearns, Clarkston and Busby, but you would've been long gone before they were built.

Busby Masonic can still see a couple hundred in for a big weekend game and Giffnock North Club gets decent numbers in too.
Mearns Legion was a great spot and where my family all went to and a bloody disgrace it’s gone. They used to be upto see my Gran as my Grandad was a WW2 veteran but when passed they would go up and drop off a small amount and have a blether.
Changed days up the scheme now.

Mearns Legion was a great spot and where my family all went to and a bloody disgrace it’s gone. They used to be upto see my Gran as my Grandad was a WW2 veteran but when passed they would go up and drop off a small amount and have a blether.
Changed days up the scheme now.
Used to play cribbage in the legion

OP s good boozer and tries to be neutral.
Will not show OF games.
The Giffnock North also mixed but defo in favour of us......fact.
Would rather watch us in GN as opposed to any other boozer in the area.

I live just down the road from the Orchard Park and it is def tim owned. I know that for a fact. Also when StBrendan was at the Stydome there was regular singing in the garden after Tim matches about him beIng there for 10IAR. Also see them piling out of cars leaving G & G scarves in car when I take the dug out for his nightime piddle. Considering the tim school in the area is one of the best in Scotland I can assure you Giffnock is definitely Tim infested. Definitely better at the Giffnock North Club and the beer is about a pound cheaper. I would think you would get in no bother.

I live just down the road from the Orchard Park and it is def tim owned. I know that for a fact. Also when StBrendan was at the Stydome there was regular singing in the garden after Tim matches about him beIng there for 10IAR. Also see them piling out of cars leaving G & G scarves in car when I take the dug out for his nightime piddle. Considering the tim school in the area is one of the best in Scotland I can assure you Giffnock is definitely Tim infested. Definitely better at the Giffnock North Club and the beer is about a pound cheaper. I would think you would get in no bother.
Funny how it was a regular haunt for coisty at one time., and not long ago.......also know a few regulars who beed blue.
I also live in the area and it is nether one way or the other.
GN a good shout though.

I remember that place as a kid in the late 70's / early 80's. My dad was in the resident band for Weddings etc. Was certainly a Rangers pub back then. Think it's all went a bit Yupee since then.

Way back then they had a big Rangers fan owner. Any older bears from that area remember his name.

Big George maybe ?
Big George Hamilton,he was my uncle, a true bear who loved the Rangers, Orchard Park was def a Bears place back then.
I remember when the winning teams came back after the games to the Orchard Park after winning the league cup and scottish cup in 81 season..... good times ;-))

Im sad to hear that about Giffnock
I use to attend giffnock primary and woodfarm high
And the areas were always full of Rangers fans
watched away games in OP and redhurst and MacDonald s hotel

And netherlee
thornliebank and deaconsbank
plenty of fireworks display after winning the league especially in Rouken glen park for weeks
and main street in thornliebank had a champions banner
Rangers fans came round in van with scarfs out windows in deaconsbank with party tunes blaring
thanks
Please same again this year

Back