Oswald's Glasgow

QUOTE="northside blue, post: 5208758, member: 6901"]
not many celtic/republican bars left in the barras/gallowgate as the try and change the image, hence the merchant city getting more irish type bars.
the last time i passed down that way,(about 6 weeks ago) there still looked plenty of their pubs around
[/QUOTE]

Three have closed in the past two years, others have changed to restaurants and the few that are left are usually only open match days, weekends or concert nights at Barrowland.

QUOTE="northside blue, post: 5208758, member: 6901"]
not many celtic/republican bars left in the barras/gallowgate as the try and change the image, hence the merchant city getting more irish type bars.
the last time i passed down that way,(about 6 weeks ago) there still looked plenty of their pubs around
[/QUOTE]
a few hardcore ones are left,nothing like it was a few years back, some of their old slophouses are now hipster bars,a lot of these bars discourage them from drinking in them by being a bit dear and not allowing colours, the old bairds even had a sign saying no tracksuits or trainers allowed.

a few hardcore ones are left,nothing like it was a few years back, some of their old slophouses are now hipster bars,a lot of these bars discourage them from drinking in them by being a bit dear and not allowing colours, the old bairds even had a sign saying no tracksuits or trainers allowed.
[/QUOTE]
i suppose at some point a few of the pubs at the barras would change to a more upmarket clientele,due to the demographs in the area changing, with a lot more younger refined punters looking for places locally, it therefore looks as though they are moving slowly cityward then ,with the merchant city increasingly not looking as appealing as in previous times, one sad thing in all this though,is that even as a previous poster states ,3 of the barras pubs haved closed in recent years ,it seems their clientele"s have just moved en masse to the merchant city, rather than scattering,

Went in after the Young Boys game, The Goalie was in as well. Nice to be able to go in to a bar in town wearing colours after the match, will be back.

I’ve been in during the week a few times on non-match days, as would expect it’s not mobbed but still a few old boys who were a good laugh. Would definitely go in for a Monday session!

will try it next time im up, good to see a presence in the city centre, i remember the argyl bar under the bridge at central station.

Unfortunately his effort at a nightclub in Bell Street in the Merchant City (Kavalii) is now closed. It is now being turned into yet another 'irish' pub, this one is going to be called Murphy's. Right next door to that other hovel Connolly's. I make that 5 'irish' pubs in the Merchant City.

This new effort is from the same clique of McGeady's pals who run the Black Dove in Shawlands. No idea whether he is the money behind it or not.

You heard it here first.

Merchant City is now officially a no go area unfortunately.
It’s drug money with those morons.

Isnt that what The Auctioneers is? Appreciate that is only one pub mind you.

Not really in my opinion. Ive been in a few times and it seems totally neutral. Irish bars make sure you know what side they're on with fiddle de dee music and plenty of plastic paddy type stuff on the walls.

I dont know how we could offer similar without having the tunes on 24/7 and red hand flags flying (I love this but not for a sat night out with a meal and drinks).

I dont have an answer.

Isnt that what The Auctioneers is? Appreciate that is only one pub mind you.
Not really in my opinion. Ive been in a few times and it seems totally neutral. Irish bars make sure you know what side they're on with fiddle de dee music and plenty of plastic paddy type stuff on the walls.

I dont know how we could offer similar without having the tunes on 24/7 and red hand flags flying (I love this but not for a sat night out with a meal and drinks).

I dont have an answer.

I’d agree with the second post, Auctioneers is just another chain pub frequented by bears.

I’d say The Horseshoe has leanings though?

The Royalty / Oswalds are the only proper Rangers boozers I’m aware of in the vicinity.

I’d agree with the second post, Auctioneers is just another chain pub frequented by bears.

I’d say The Horseshoe has leanings though?

The Royalty / Oswalds are the only proper Rangers boozers I’m aware of in the vicinity.

In my experience almost every decent neutral pub in Glasgow will have far more Rangers fans in it than fans of other teams. They may not be Rangers shops but sometimes you're just looking for a good pub with nice surroundings and decent punters.

are kids allowed in? or does pub have to serve food for that?
I’m pretty sure no kids but might be worth asking on their facebook, they do bring in food for games!
In my experience almost every decent neutral pub in Glasgow will have far more Rangers fans in it than fans of other teams. They may not be Rangers shops but sometimes you're just looking for a good pub with nice surroundings and decent punters.
Yeah, thinking over what I’ve said The Horseshoe is a chain too - just thinking as they have union jacks on the stained glass windows.

I know some were wary because of the pub it used to be, but I haven't heard a bad review. Need to give it a try.

Should give it a go mate. Only been in it once, tbf, but guy was really accommodating opening upstairs and bar staff were great. Bit cramped, but good to be popular enough to fill the place of course.

Whereabouts is Oswalds. Will definitely pop in next time I’m in the town.
42 Oswald Street at corner with Midland Street beside the big NCP car park.It was previously Kelly’s and The Quarter Gill.

They're more subtle than us. They have Irish bars that are 'inclusive' but in reality mainly cater for tims. Any bars we have tend to be all out loyalist or Rangers. We really need some 'in between' type pubs in the city. Ones that attract all types of people for night's out but make it clear its a bluenose bar. A challenging situation.
That’s kind of like the Nile used to be, still miss that pub.

Black Bull on High St still has a lot of Gods children & The Steps has always been ours & Horse Shoe mostly ours to, as someone said we dont need to broadcast it or name our pubs after terrorists !!

We have a bit of class with our Glass !

Well worth a visit. Great to have a proper bears pub in town. Hopefully it does well and more pop up.

Back